Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict 09:43 - Oct 7 with 1162 viewsSaintNick

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/63116/southampton-at-ars

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict on 10:38 - Oct 7 with 1082 viewsIfonly

I agree with most of this verdict, but I disagree with this about Tall Paul: "This is not to write him off, he could be a valuable asset to bring on in the closing stages of a game where we are chasing a goal or two."

That's actually illogical. Playing with Tall Paul is either effective or it isn't. If it's not effective, then don't bring him on at all. If it is effective then why wait until we're 2 goals down in the closing stages? Why not start with him and go 2 goals up?
Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict on 11:20 - Oct 7 with 1021 viewsSaintNick

Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict on 10:38 - Oct 7 by Ifonly

I agree with most of this verdict, but I disagree with this about Tall Paul: "This is not to write him off, he could be a valuable asset to bring on in the closing stages of a game where we are chasing a goal or two."

That's actually illogical. Playing with Tall Paul is either effective or it isn't. If it's not effective, then don't bring him on at all. If it is effective then why wait until we're 2 goals down in the closing stages? Why not start with him and go 2 goals up?

Some players are not 90 minute players and also whilst Russell Martin is manager the system doesn't suit him.

I am giving Tall Paul the benefit of the doubt, but everyone is getting exited about him making a few tackles and turns on the half way line, but we need him to be effective further up the pitch and he didn't do much in the final third.

Phil Thompson once said when he worked for Sky that video clips show nothing, that Thompson himself could put together a video of his goals for Liverpool that would have people thinking he was the best striker ever.

I hope that Tall Paul can play a part this season as I want him, as I want every Southampton player to succeed and not fail

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict on 15:52 - Oct 7 with 815 viewsButty101

Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict on 11:20 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

Some players are not 90 minute players and also whilst Russell Martin is manager the system doesn't suit him.

I am giving Tall Paul the benefit of the doubt, but everyone is getting exited about him making a few tackles and turns on the half way line, but we need him to be effective further up the pitch and he didn't do much in the final third.

Phil Thompson once said when he worked for Sky that video clips show nothing, that Thompson himself could put together a video of his goals for Liverpool that would have people thinking he was the best striker ever.

I hope that Tall Paul can play a part this season as I want him, as I want every Southampton player to succeed and not fail

Paul Tall had a very impressive montage seeing he was only on the pitch for 20mins. He gave their centre halves something to think about.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton At Arsenal The Verdict on 16:23 - Oct 7 with 794 viewsA1079

My overall take on the game and day is that I was going into it without much sense of joy or expectation and anticipating the worse and yet came away feeling that I had largely seen an entertaining game and though we still lost and we still had alot of errors I was pleased with our overall performance. That doesn't hide the fact we still lost, we desperately need some points and spirit and fight alone is not going to keep us up - though I was asking myself - where was that fight against Bournemouth and Notts Forest and Brentford? Are we a team of players who try to put on a show when certain clubs are in town?

The good aspects was:-
- the fight and spirit;
- players effort and endeavour throughout - no one really had a bad game;
- Bednarek was immense - I wish he was like that more often;
- Dibling really looks the deal and the vultures will soon be circling
- KWP excellent - why would you drop him?
- Archer is worth sticking with - he is not going to change our fortunes alone but he does look like he knows where the goal is;
- Onuachu - I enjoyed his cameo performance and he made the Arsenal defence uncertain. Worth a try as long as we play to his height etc. Probably one to bring on off the bench.

The Arsenal second goal would have been wiped off had it been the other way around. The bias in decisions is obvious but what can anyone do about it?

Sugaware mistake was unfortunate as I think he largely had a good game and he generally reads the game well.

Ramsdale was good.

Our fans were good. Vocal and humourous - the Arsenal fans who were trying to create the Thunderclap/Ultras atmosphere near to us received a rendition of "your just a poor Crystal Palace" - to be fair - I don't think many Arsenal fans were that impressed with the few either. The other good thing about our fans is, that they mostly stayed behind when the final whistle went and received the team well at the end. It showed the support is there.

Where does this leave us with RM? It has bought him a bit of time and it feels like Leicester is the critical game now for all sorts of reasons. I think we have some promise in the team but up until Arsenal we had not had a difficult set of games but only have one point to show for it. I am not convinced RM will turn it around enough but equally, if all SR are looking at is someone like Eustace, Corboran etc then I am not sure the story will change.

The main downside of the day was 3hrs 10mins on the train back and nearly midnight before I got through my front door. Thank heavens therefore that I enjoyed game, as strange as that may seem.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024