Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Merson 20:06 - Oct 11 with 918 viewsPatfromPoole

Going to watch this programme about his gambling on BBC1 at 9.00pm.

Never liked the bloke, and it pains me that he is still deriving an income from SKY, who should know better.

But will watch with an open mind, and may shock myself if I manage to find an ounce of sympathy for him.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Merson on 22:00 - Oct 11 with 866 viewsdirk_doone

That was shocking and very sad. "Gambling is the ONLY thing that gives me any pleasure." And he says that now. It was confirmed by his brain scans, which showed his brain was just about dead to any other activity, apart from gambling, when it lights up.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 22:08]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Merson on 22:11 - Oct 11 with 849 viewsPatfromPoole

Merson on 22:00 - Oct 11 by dirk_doone

That was shocking and very sad. "Gambling is the ONLY thing that gives me any pleasure." And he says that now. It was confirmed by his brain scans, which showed his brain was just about dead to any other activity, apart from gambling, when it lights up.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 22:08]

The last 20 minutes of the programme was quite harrowing and eye-opening, have to say.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Merson on 08:21 - Oct 12 with 732 viewsSadoldgit

I decided not to watch it after seeing the brief clip which was bad enough. Addictions of any form are never good but this one seems particularly difficult. You have to feel for anyone who doesn’t have control of their lives to the extent that something else completely takes over. I worked with a bloke who gambled every day. He was completely oblivious when he lost, which was most of the time but talked like he had hit the big time when he had the occasional win. I know we need sponsorship but would prefer it if we weren’t sponsored by a gambling company.
Merson on 08:52 - Oct 12 with 718 viewsSonicBoom

I didn't watch it as I can't listen to Merson.
I'm a bit old school and I like broadcasters to have a decent command of language and above anything else be able to communicate. I have no idea how Merson has that job (particularly when they got rid of Le Tizz), as he mangles every sentence that comes out of his mouth. But I do have sympathy as a person that he suffers from gambling addiction.

I agree with SOG that I wish we weren't sponsored by a gambling company. Over the years the government stopped tobacco advertising and even in some areas booze, but they seem oblivious to gambling.
I very rarely gamble but there's nothing worse than hearing about someone else's bets is there? They always tell you when they win.......
Merson on 09:06 - Oct 12 with 711 viewsbarry_sanchez

2/1 he mentions beans on toast...................

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Merson on 20:47 - Oct 12 with 564 viewssaint22

A very interesting and disturbing watch
Also another example of how screwed this country is
There is no way it should be legal to have betting companies so involved in sports sponsorship that law that was relaxed in 2005 neess bringing back in
No way should Jeff stelling be fronting skybet ads with his mate Mersin struggling like he says
It’s a hideous situation that needs sorting
Merson on 21:13 - Oct 12 with 560 viewssaint22

Interesting too that all the responses at the end attempted to shift blame elsewhere
What a surprise
Merson on 22:42 - Oct 14 with 390 viewsericofarabia

Never been a great fan of Merson, mainly due to his skateness, but you really have to feel for the guy in what his has been through, self inflicted but as the programme showed he is desperately trying to completely kick the thoughts of gambling out of his head but can't .... it's just the way his brain is wired.
He managed to kick drugs and booze but this is one thing he can't. It was quite an eye opener that when he went for counselling at Arsenal(?), he admitted to the booze and drugs but couldn't admit to gambling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024