Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading towards No more Heading? 14:06 - Jul 28 with 1206 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57996593

So players are only allowed to head the ball 10 times in training, using a "higher force" header. What's the consequences for heading it 11 times then and how will the authorities know?
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 14:15]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Heading towards No more Heading? on 14:26 - Jul 28 with 1168 viewsSadoldgit

If they are worried about people heading a football, why aren’t they worried about people in a sport where the aim is to knock the other person out? Even with a headguard on any blow to the head in boxing is going to rattle the brain against the skull.
Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:09 - Jul 28 with 1031 viewskingslandstand1

Heading towards No more Heading? on 14:26 - Jul 28 by Sadoldgit

If they are worried about people heading a football, why aren’t they worried about people in a sport where the aim is to knock the other person out? Even with a headguard on any blow to the head in boxing is going to rattle the brain against the skull.

The reason is the likes of Barry Hearn making his multi millions out of those guys without getting hurt and exploiting the ones that do get hurt
Heading towards No more Heading? on 10:32 - Jul 29 with 925 viewsDorsetIan

Isn't the difference that one sport is called 'foot' ball and the other 'hitting and getting hit in the head'?

You'd have to ban boxing.

You could play football without headers. It would be a very different game, but I suspect that's the direction we're heading in.

On a slightly different point, I did find it funny that some of the 'head shots' that were scoring big points in the Olympic Taekwondo fights seemd to amount to one fighter stretching round and touching the other's helmet with their toe. Not exactly Bruce Lee stuff.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Heading towards No more Heading? on 11:19 - Jul 29 with 914 viewsBison

Heading towards No more Heading? on 10:32 - Jul 29 by DorsetIan

Isn't the difference that one sport is called 'foot' ball and the other 'hitting and getting hit in the head'?

You'd have to ban boxing.

You could play football without headers. It would be a very different game, but I suspect that's the direction we're heading in.

On a slightly different point, I did find it funny that some of the 'head shots' that were scoring big points in the Olympic Taekwondo fights seemd to amount to one fighter stretching round and touching the other's helmet with their toe. Not exactly Bruce Lee stuff.

So no more Headers and Volleys in the playground and Fifa could adopt the 5 a-side rules with no over head high balls , they would then need to re-size the goals to 5 a-side size and we can get rid of those big lumbering Goalies, centre-halves and forwards. Cedric and Lee Todd would become giants of the game if they didnt have to header a ball.

Oh yeah and Peter Crouch would still be a virgin :)
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 11:22]

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Heading towards No more Heading? on 16:33 - Jul 29 with 853 viewsDorsetIan

Heading towards No more Heading? on 11:19 - Jul 29 by Bison

So no more Headers and Volleys in the playground and Fifa could adopt the 5 a-side rules with no over head high balls , they would then need to re-size the goals to 5 a-side size and we can get rid of those big lumbering Goalies, centre-halves and forwards. Cedric and Lee Todd would become giants of the game if they didnt have to header a ball.

Why would they need to re-resize the goals?

They'd start by banning headers outside the penalty area.

It might be good. Would get the ball to feet more and reduce a lot of long ball stuff.

Heading towards No more Heading? on 17:16 - Jul 29 with 831 viewsBison

Heading towards No more Heading? on 16:33 - Jul 29 by DorsetIan

Why would they need to re-resize the goals?

They'd start by banning headers outside the penalty area.

It might be good. Would get the ball to feet more and reduce a lot of long ball stuff.

'Why would they need to re-resize the goals?'

If like 5-a-side you would have to outlaw balls over head height , you couldnt realistically allow goalies to drop kick the ball as the urge to header it from players would be too much , what if someone did header the ball ? Does the freekick go to whoever kicked it or whoever headed it hence the only solution is no over head height. Then the next step would be why have crossbars over head height. More clashes of heads are caused inside the area so you couldnt have a creeping rule change starting with outside the area then in a few years do it inside the area.

Personally it would be the death of football and will never happen , I remember the balls back in the day that weighed a ton , the balls nowadays are like feathers. The whole idea is ridiculous and the only supporters are the Woke idiots trying to look compassionate or something.

Your last comment I think somes you up Ian....

'It might be good. Would get the ball to feet more and reduce a lot of long ball stuff.'

You really want to sanitize our beautiful game , Have you ever played 11 a-side ?

Heading towards No more Heading? on 17:30 - Jul 29 with 828 viewsluffy22

Heading towards No more Heading? on 11:19 - Jul 29 by Bison

Lee Todd, what an embarrassment he was, I remember his first game, where the was hoofed down the flank at him and it bounced over his head by a few feet whilst he looked like a fish out of water trying to reach it, with the away fans pointing and laughing at him. Benali soon put him into his rightful place as on the bench. That was back in the days when we changed manager every season and every manager dropped Benali as they thought he was useless, but he soon proved them all wrong.
Heading towards No more Heading? on 19:23 - Jul 29 with 790 viewsDorsetIan

Heading towards No more Heading? on 17:16 - Jul 29 by Bison

'Why would they need to re-resize the goals?'

If like 5-a-side you would have to outlaw balls over head height , you couldnt realistically allow goalies to drop kick the ball as the urge to header it from players would be too much , what if someone did header the ball ? Does the freekick go to whoever kicked it or whoever headed it hence the only solution is no over head height. Then the next step would be why have crossbars over head height. More clashes of heads are caused inside the area so you couldnt have a creeping rule change starting with outside the area then in a few years do it inside the area.

Personally it would be the death of football and will never happen , I remember the balls back in the day that weighed a ton , the balls nowadays are like feathers. The whole idea is ridiculous and the only supporters are the Woke idiots trying to look compassionate or something.

Your last comment I think somes you up Ian....

'It might be good. Would get the ball to feet more and reduce a lot of long ball stuff.'

You really want to sanitize our beautiful game , Have you ever played 11 a-side ?

Isn’t it being driven by Jeff Astle”s daughter? Ultimately, it will be driven by the players who will want to avoid the brain damage and the clubs and professional bodies who will want to avoid being sued.

As I said, I suspect it’s coming, so I’m just trying to put a positive spin on it. Your speculation about it changing the whole game is nonsense. The game is foot - ball ffs! Anyway let’s see. No need to wet your nappy just yet.

Login to get fewer ads

Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:03 - Jul 29 with 755 viewsBison

Heading towards No more Heading? on 19:23 - Jul 29 by DorsetIan

Isn’t it being driven by Jeff Astle”s daughter? Ultimately, it will be driven by the players who will want to avoid the brain damage and the clubs and professional bodies who will want to avoid being sued.

As I said, I suspect it’s coming, so I’m just trying to put a positive spin on it. Your speculation about it changing the whole game is nonsense. The game is foot - ball ffs! Anyway let’s see. No need to wet your nappy just yet.

My speculation is nonsense ? This is not a change to the back pass or moving the offside line 1 inch heading is a fundamental part of the game. Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored 16 goals last season and 7 were with his head. Crouch scored 40 headed goals in the EPL.

You have a lot of players whos main attribute is their size , you ban heading you totally restructure the make-up of every team. The likes of Vestegaard would be on the dole the next day. The football leagues would suddenly fill up with all those cocky little 'tekkers' players who perform tricks on Soccer AM or their would be a massive influx of South American wannabee's with all their tricks and turns.

Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:31 - Jul 29 with 742 viewsDorsetIan

Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:03 - Jul 29 by Bison

My speculation is nonsense ? This is not a change to the back pass or moving the offside line 1 inch heading is a fundamental part of the game. Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored 16 goals last season and 7 were with his head. Crouch scored 40 headed goals in the EPL.

You have a lot of players whos main attribute is their size , you ban heading you totally restructure the make-up of every team. The likes of Vestegaard would be on the dole the next day. The football leagues would suddenly fill up with all those cocky little 'tekkers' players who perform tricks on Soccer AM or their would be a massive influx of South American wannabee's with all their tricks and turns.

People wouldn't be able to head the ball. Yes, that's the whole point.

But over 80% of all goals are scored with the foot.

The speculation I was talking about was you saying that the goals would need to be made smaller. I don't see that at all. If players can still score the same kicked goals, then obviously the goals would need to stay the same size.

All that would be needed would be a 'headball' rule similar to the handball rule.

It would take some getting used to but what would you prefer - all the players wearing headguards?

Now that a health risk as been identified, it's going to have be addressed. That's when it become negligent - when you know about something but do nothing.

Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:44 - Jul 29 with 738 viewsBison

Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:31 - Jul 29 by DorsetIan

The speculation I was talking about was you saying that the goals would need to be made smaller. I don't see that at all. If players can still score the same kicked goals, then obviously the goals would need to stay the same size.

All that would be needed would be a 'headball' rule similar to the handball rule.

It would take some getting used to but what would you prefer - all the players wearing headguards?

Now that a health risk as been identified, it's going to have be addressed. That's when it become negligent - when you know about something but do nothing.

Deliberate Head-Ball

You imagine what VAR would be like having to police that !!!

Perhaps you have a point with head gear though , I would prefer that to no headers allowed. Take heading out of football be a bit like playing test cricket with a tennis ball , the game would die.

As for goals staying the same size , so you say a free kick could bend it into the top corner but the wall was not allowed to jump in case someone heads it , i dont think that would be practical. Corners wouldnt work as you couldnt put in high ball as no one would be allowed to head it . A defender heading it off the line , is that a penalty ?

I just think the changes required and the subsequent impact on the game would in essence mean you would be playing a different sport. It certainly wouldnt be one I would pay to watch..

Heading towards No more Heading? on 22:31 - Jul 29 with 723 viewsDorsetIan

Heading towards No more Heading? on 21:44 - Jul 29 by Bison

Deliberate Head-Ball

You imagine what VAR would be like having to police that !!!

Perhaps you have a point with head gear though , I would prefer that to no headers allowed. Take heading out of football be a bit like playing test cricket with a tennis ball , the game would die.

As for goals staying the same size , so you say a free kick could bend it into the top corner but the wall was not allowed to jump in case someone heads it , i dont think that would be practical. Corners wouldnt work as you couldnt put in high ball as no one would be allowed to head it . A defender heading it off the line , is that a penalty ?

I just think the changes required and the subsequent impact on the game would in essence mean you would be playing a different sport. It certainly wouldnt be one I would pay to watch..

I take your point about the walls at free kicks and the problems with corners, which was why I was thinking that maybe heading in the box could be allowed...

...but how about we have 'special teams' that come onto the pitch to defend set pieces in full face helmets and boxes!

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens. They did so well with VAR - what could possibly go wrong.

Heading towards No more Heading? on 22:48 - Jul 29 with 706 viewsBicester_North

Jesus you come across as one of the most risk averse, boring choppers on Earth. What can we ban next that is risky?

Football is a thrilling game for a reason, and it makes millions of kids take it up.
This extends their lifespan by keeping them fit and out of trouble.
I know quite a few men and women that have dementia or brain conditions who have never played football, and I know loads of blokes that played football who have never had dementia.

What things can humans do that carry no risk?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Heading towards No more Heading? on 23:00 - Jul 29 with 692 viewsSaintsforeverj

Heading towards No more Heading? on 22:48 - Jul 29 by Bicester_North

Jesus you come across as one of the most risk averse, boring choppers on Earth. What can we ban next that is risky?

Football is a thrilling game for a reason, and it makes millions of kids take it up.
I know quite a few men and women that have dementia or brain conditions who have never played football, and I know loads of blokes that played football who have never had dementia.

Everything in moderation. 😉

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Heading towards No more Heading? on 23:00 - Jul 29 with 692 viewsMessysaints

think we should do more and limit the running they do incase they might get fibrosis or scarring, heck they could even get oxidative stress, only walking pace from now on.....
Heading towards No more Heading? on 23:22 - Jul 29 with 680 viewsDorsetIan

Heading towards No more Heading? on 22:48 - Jul 29 by Bicester_North

Don't shoot the messenger, Bicester. I didn't start this thread and the momentum for some kind of change is there whether you or I like it or not.

Look what happened to the cigarette companies that did nothing when they knew the risks. £££££££££££££££.

You think FIFA, the FA, the league clubs and their insurers are just going to wing it and hope nobody makes a claim in the future?

Heading towards No more Heading? on 23:31 - Jul 29 with 676 viewsBicester_North

Heading towards No more Heading? on 23:22 - Jul 29 by DorsetIan

Don't shoot the messenger, Bicester. I didn't start this thread and the momentum for some kind of change is there whether you or I like it or not.

Look what happened to the cigarette companies that did nothing when they knew the risks. £££££££££££££££.

You think FIFA, the FA, the league clubs and their insurers are just going to wing it and hope nobody makes a claim in the future?

Ok, and no I actually think FIFA and the other governing bodies will consider a heading ban, as that’s the type of arse covering behaviour going on in most big organisations in the West.

I would, however find fans’ acceptance of that and the loss of football as we know it a very sad thing.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024