Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elgin Marbles 21:42 - Nov 27 with 1229 viewsSaintNick

Seems like we are having a bit of a barney with Greece about them, I thought we bought them fair and square and it's not like they haven.t got most of them still there anyway

I like Athens but they are not that good at taking care of their ancient buildings

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Elgin Marbles on 08:51 - Nov 28 with 1129 viewsHeisenberg

We nicked them like loads of other stuff. Lord Byron and many others at the time were disgusted by Elgins actions. Imagine if a foreign country had half of Stonehenge. The Daily Mail would be leading the campaign to have them returned to their rightful owners. It’s time for them to be returned to Greece.

As for our midget PM. He looks pathetic. Doesn’t even have the balls to meet the Greek PM.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Elgin Marbles on 09:48 - Nov 28 with 1118 viewsSaintNick

Elgin Marbles on 08:51 - Nov 28 by Heisenberg

We nicked them like loads of other stuff. Lord Byron and many others at the time were disgusted by Elgins actions. Imagine if a foreign country had half of Stonehenge. The Daily Mail would be leading the campaign to have them returned to their rightful owners. It’s time for them to be returned to Greece.

As for our midget PM. He looks pathetic. Doesn’t even have the balls to meet the Greek PM.

The story is that Elgin had paid for the Marbles and removed them legally, although nowadays the Greeks dispute that, however it has to be said that Elgin took about 11 years to remove the marbles so you would have thought that the Greeks would have put a stop to it.

So I don't think they were removed illegally, but there is an ethical aspect to the situation, although bear in mind that back then Athens was basically a village with a population of around 4-8,000 and that the ancient Greek buildings were routinely ravaged for building material so it was not exactly being looked after.

So when Elgin turned up and offered to take some of it off their hands and pay for the privilege, it seemed like a good deal, get some old stones cleared and some cash job done.

It has only been in the last 125 years or so that the Greeks have actually realised what they were sat on so to speak.

I agree Sunak should have met with the Greek PM, but there appears to be a political reason why he did not rather than not having the balls to do so.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Elgin Marbles on 10:50 - Nov 28 with 1094 viewssaintmark1976

Elgin Marbles on 08:51 - Nov 28 by Heisenberg

On this occasion it’s easy for everyone to see that it’s not Greece that have lost their Marbles Heisenberg. Small man syndrome comes to mind.
Elgin Marbles on 12:47 - Nov 28 with 1056 viewsChesham_Saint

Elgin Marbles on 09:48 - Nov 28 by SaintNick

The story is that Elgin had paid for the Marbles and removed them legally, although nowadays the Greeks dispute that, however it has to be said that Elgin took about 11 years to remove the marbles so you would have thought that the Greeks would have put a stop to it.

So I don't think they were removed illegally, but there is an ethical aspect to the situation, although bear in mind that back then Athens was basically a village with a population of around 4-8,000 and that the ancient Greek buildings were routinely ravaged for building material so it was not exactly being looked after.

So when Elgin turned up and offered to take some of it off their hands and pay for the privilege, it seemed like a good deal, get some old stones cleared and some cash job done.

It has only been in the last 125 years or so that the Greeks have actually realised what they were sat on so to speak.

I agree Sunak should have met with the Greek PM, but there appears to be a political reason why he did not rather than not having the balls to do so.

A deal is a deal. End of.

Screw buyer's or in this case, seller's remorse.

Besides, if the Greeks had had them a few years back, they'd now be in Germany as part payment of their EU debt..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Elgin Marbles on 15:11 - Nov 28 with 1018 viewsfranniesTache

I'll be honest i don't really understand the issue here at all, at least not enough to cause a diplomatic problem.

Most museums and galleries do touring exhibitions these days so exhibits already travel the world, and i'd hazard a guess probably significantly less than 1% of the country have ever actually seen the Elgin Marbles in person, in fact i'd guess the majority couldn't identify them if they were shown them.

Surely both us and the greeks are causing a storm in a teacup over something so utterly unimportant as this?
Elgin Marbles on 15:40 - Nov 28 with 1002 viewssaintsfanbrock

Elgin Marbles on 12:47 - Nov 28 by Chesham_Saint

A deal is a deal. End of.

Screw buyer's or in this case, seller's remorse.

Besides, if the Greeks had had them a few years back, they'd now be in Germany as part payment of their EU debt..!

A deal is a deal apart from when there was no deal. Can’t really blame the Greek’s for having ‘sellers remorse’ when it was the Ottomans who completed the paperwork. Besides it wasn’t even a sale as you have indicated, some Ottoman official gave a permit (the authenticity and wording of which is doubted, supposedly only for the marbles that had dropped) and that official is likely the only person who got some money for it. Like someone stealing your house, giving a permit to scrap your abandoned car and that person taking the nice working one next to it at the same time while giving some money to the person that took your house. All seems fair to me.

I remember studying this one at uni and it was a pretty definitive should be returned under international law but of course being Brits we have passed some legislation preventing it! As someone has said above doubt many Brits would miss them (I imagine half if given a choice of four images would point to the image of a small sphere rather than the actual thing), having been to the museum they built for them in Athens it was pretty embarrassing
Elgin Marbles on 17:23 - Nov 28 with 953 viewsCity_boy

I am guessing we we got a receipt when we bought them ?
Elgin Marbles on 17:27 - Nov 28 with 947 viewssaintsfanbrock

Elgin Marbles on 17:23 - Nov 28 by City_boy

I am guessing we we got a receipt when we bought them ?

Read my above comment
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024