Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bentley gone 18:05 - Mar 27 with 18868 viewsjudd

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/march/clubstatementjimbentley_270323
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 18:08]

Poll: What is it to be then?

Bentley gone on 21:25 - Mar 27 with 3472 viewsClivert

Bentley gone on 21:11 - Mar 27 by Brierls

Their decision to step up in the club’s hour of need was the most disastrous decision for them personally and financially. The football decisions made since haven’t come close to balancing that out!

In hindsight they should have appointed an experienced manager instead of Stockdale, an inexperienced board and management team was a disaster waiting to happen but that's easy to say now.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 21:26]
Bentley gone on 21:27 - Mar 27 with 3443 viewsjudd

Bentley gone on 21:25 - Mar 27 by Clivert

In hindsight they should have appointed an experienced manager instead of Stockdale, an inexperienced board and management team was a disaster waiting to happen but that's easy to say now.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 21:26]

It sure is mate.

Bentley gone on 21:32 - Mar 27 with 3384 viewsBrierls

Bentley gone on 19:44 - Mar 27 by NorthernDale

I apologise for calling McNulty clueless and suggesting he could not run a bath, but he did not innovate new ideas, but carried on with Stockdale failed tactics, 'yes' he had absolute cr&p to work with, but he is an experienced player and must have a wide breath of knowledge. The problem may be that he is to close to the players, which can be both helpful, but a handicapped when it requires giving them a good boll*cking. I hope he as learned since early in the season and will able to change tactics.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 19:45]

You have it spot on with McNulty. It was a dire situation when Stockdale was sacked, pretty much a no-lose situation for Big Jim given expectation levels. Yet he still managed to disappoint and displayed absolutely zero indication that he’ll ever be a manager, even with every fan desperate for him to have a positive impact.

Another who is a nice bloke, but he should be one of the first out of the door in the summer as we cut costs.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 21:40]
Bentley gone on 21:36 - Mar 27 with 3348 viewsfrenzied

Odd timing.

Looks like they have thrown in the towel.

Jim completely out of his depth as the interim manager..I expect a few proper drubbing s over the next 8 games.

Hill?...no thanks

Very dissapointing
Bentley gone on 21:49 - Mar 27 with 3233 viewsClivert

Bentley gone on 21:32 - Mar 27 by Brierls

You have it spot on with McNulty. It was a dire situation when Stockdale was sacked, pretty much a no-lose situation for Big Jim given expectation levels. Yet he still managed to disappoint and displayed absolutely zero indication that he’ll ever be a manager, even with every fan desperate for him to have a positive impact.

Another who is a nice bloke, but he should be one of the first out of the door in the summer as we cut costs.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 21:40]

McNulty lost me after the Swindon away game by saying it was 'a free hit'.
Bentley gone on 22:01 - Mar 27 with 3160 viewsSaxonDale

I'm quietly excited about McNulty's second spell. Can understand why people weren't happy with some of the things he said before, but also he was in an awkward position where he knew he'd be back in the dressing room with many of the players once his spell was over.
Bentley gone on 22:10 - Mar 27 with 3079 viewsR17ALE

My advice to McNulty would be to pick himself over Taylor or EEL. He's a far better player.

Glad Bentley is gone.

Do You like circuses Judd?
[Post edited 27 Mar 2023 22:14]

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Bentley gone on 22:20 - Mar 27 with 3011 viewsClivert

Bentley gone on 22:10 - Mar 27 by R17ALE

My advice to McNulty would be to pick himself over Taylor or EEL. He's a far better player.

Glad Bentley is gone.

'Giro Jim'.
Login to get fewer ads

Bentley gone on 22:54 - Mar 27 with 2814 viewsAltDaleComms

Throw this in here as its not really a match video
Bentley gone on 23:19 - Mar 27 with 2711 viewsTomRAFC

If sacking Bentley was a footballing decision, then surely Jim would have been gone a good while ago.

The chairman's interview the other day must have made things tense. If I was being cynical, I'd say the board are coming in for a lot of criticism at the moment and might see sacking Bentley as a chance to earn some brownie points.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Bentley gone on 23:21 - Mar 27 with 2703 viewsmikehunt

What’s this rubbish about we should have hired a more experienced manager than Stockdale. Have you forgotten the state the club was in at the time? Nobody knew whether there would be a club to manage. So how we were expected to recruit any manager or player of any stature was cloud cuckoo land.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Bentley gone on 07:10 - Mar 28 with 2347 viewsrkershaw

Bentley gone on 23:19 - Mar 27 by TomRAFC

If sacking Bentley was a footballing decision, then surely Jim would have been gone a good while ago.

The chairman's interview the other day must have made things tense. If I was being cynical, I'd say the board are coming in for a lot of criticism at the moment and might see sacking Bentley as a chance to earn some brownie points.

I can sense an imminent take over with Mr Dunphy stipulating that 'Thin Jim' is made manager with Hilly supporting as DOF......the 'interim' manager has been wearing glasses in an attempt to look more intelligent recently so it MUST be true!!! ;)
Bentley gone on 07:45 - Mar 28 with 2275 viewsseasidedale

Bentley gone on 07:10 - Mar 28 by rkershaw

I can sense an imminent take over with Mr Dunphy stipulating that 'Thin Jim' is made manager with Hilly supporting as DOF......the 'interim' manager has been wearing glasses in an attempt to look more intelligent recently so it MUST be true!!! ;)

Jim is in a good position in a way, he can change things around, formation, tactics captain with nothing to lose, but sadly I don’t think he will it will be same old, hope I am wrong
Bentley gone on 08:08 - Mar 28 with 2233 viewsjudd

Bentley gone on 22:10 - Mar 27 by R17ALE

Glad Bentley is gone.

No.

Piss off.

Bentley gone on 08:44 - Mar 28 with 2155 viewselectricblue

Bentley gone on 20:22 - Mar 27 by surb_dale

Tbf to McNulty he was dropped in at the deep end first time around with one day prep for the Swindon away game. We then had Sheff Wed away in midweek where we always get spanked and then his final game we got our first point on the board v Crawley with Sinclair coming off bench to equalise.

The experience of that first stint should help and he has a full week prep for the Dons game.

Not saying he is the answer and I wasn’t all that convinced by his post match interviews but he shouldn’t be written off as a result of that first spell.

Some are calling for KH to return so why dont the board approach him to help McNulty and see what that entails....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Bentley gone on 09:05 - Mar 28 with 2089 viewsHopwoodblue

Bentley gone on 08:44 - Mar 28 by electricblue

Some are calling for KH to return so why dont the board approach him to help McNulty and see what that entails....

Finances I would think, it’s to late to save the day why throw good money at something that’s irretrievable ?

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Bentley gone on 09:06 - Mar 28 with 2087 viewsNigelWatson

Bentley gone on 23:19 - Mar 27 by TomRAFC

The reference to doing things by committee was particularly worrying - it implies increasing our already bloated and ineffective bureaucracy. Revenue will fall in the national league, which means we should be cutting our fixed costs, not increasing them. The only overheads that shouldn't be cut are the ones that pertain to the youth set up, because, in the long-run, they can bring in vital one-off injections of cash into the club.
Bentley gone on 09:13 - Mar 28 with 2042 viewsDareToCalvin

Never like to see an honest, good man lose his job but from a footballing sense it had to happen, especially after the performance on Saturday. I went to Crawley, it was arguably the worst performance of an awful season, in the biggest game.

In terms of the timing, while ideally yes it is a couple of months too late, I would maybe guess he has accepted a much lower payout than a few months ago, now that it is as good as over, and better to receive a smaller payout than nothing in the event of a relegation break clause?

Also gives us the ability to take our time and really find the right replacement within our budget, rather than scrambling around in May/June time. While this is purely hypothetical, I'd imagine we won't see a new manager until the season has finished.
Bentley gone on 09:35 - Mar 28 with 1991 viewsfourfourtwo

Bentley gone on 09:13 - Mar 28 by DareToCalvin

Never like to see an honest, good man lose his job but from a footballing sense it had to happen, especially after the performance on Saturday. I went to Crawley, it was arguably the worst performance of an awful season, in the biggest game.

In terms of the timing, while ideally yes it is a couple of months too late, I would maybe guess he has accepted a much lower payout than a few months ago, now that it is as good as over, and better to receive a smaller payout than nothing in the event of a relegation break clause?

Also gives us the ability to take our time and really find the right replacement within our budget, rather than scrambling around in May/June time. While this is purely hypothetical, I'd imagine we won't see a new manager until the season has finished.

I agreed with everything until the final sentence.

The new manager has to be in before the season finishes so he can deal with which plays to keep and which to move on.
Bentley gone on 09:57 - Mar 28 with 1898 viewsDareToCalvin

Bentley gone on 09:35 - Mar 28 by fourfourtwo

The new manager has to be in before the season finishes so he can deal with which plays to keep and which to move on.

True. But won't be for a few weeks regardless probably.
Like another poster has said, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a few games quite heavily and didn't win another game this season. But you never know!
Bentley gone on 10:33 - Mar 28 with 1766 viewselectricblue

Bentley gone on 09:05 - Mar 28 by Hopwoodblue

Finances I would think, it’s to late to save the day why throw good money at something that’s irretrievable ?

It will only be to the end of the current campaign though, which surely isnt that much....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Bentley gone on 10:41 - Mar 28 with 1728 viewsdiver

Bentley gone on 20:59 - Mar 27 by kel

Apologies if I’m mixing you up with someone else but I think I’ve seen you say this before.

What’s the reasoning behind your thoughts?

I like his incisive comments on Radio Manchester plus he knows the set up and players at aDale
Bentley gone on 10:45 - Mar 28 with 1700 viewssurb_dale

Bentley gone on 09:35 - Mar 28 by fourfourtwo

Its less than 6 weeks till end of season. Ideally we'll have a new management team in by the time of the Stockport or Sutton games in late April to allow them to take stock of the squad but its also possible that they identify a suitable candidate that wants to finish the season at their present club before joining up. i.e. a successful manager in National League North. So we might not hear an announcement till end of season.

Its also possible we'll firstly appoint a Director of Football and one of their initial tasks will be to provide input for identifying a new first time coach which again might mean we don't appoint until after end of season. The DOF could probably make decisions on released/retentions and start identifying a shortlist of players.

The other fly in the ointment is where were at with regards to someone buying a majority stake. If someone has been identified then they would clearly want input on the whole process. We really do need some clarity with whats going on behind the scenes. Hopefully we'll get a substantial update in the next few days.
Bentley gone on 10:49 - Mar 28 with 1688 viewsCedar_Room

Jimmy Mc showed none of the attributes you’d want as a manager in his brief caretaker spell. I think people are projecting onto him the qualities they want him to have, rather than assess him as he is. There was no upturn in performances, the tactics and formations were the same. Go back and watch the post match interviews he gave, that wasn’t a leader speaking it was one of the lads looking to offer platitudes and excuses. Baffled why anyone thinks he’s the long term solution.

As for EBJ - he never got the team playing it’s as simple as that. Best thing you can say about him is he brought in Lloyd and Mullarkey who have turned out to be excellent signings (neither of whom I expect to see here next season).

But let’s focus on the timing of this and what it says about the board. Yet more evidence as far as I’m concerned that they are absolutely out of their depth.
I know they stepped in and saved us from MH but I’ve found myself asking of late - saved us for what? Saved us so we can slide into non league obscurity? Lose our 102 year hard fought league status with nothing but a whimper? With even less prospects than when they took over? Is this really what that fight against MH was all for?

I can’t think of a single footballing decision the board has got right. Stockdale might have been the only man available for all I know but having someone totally inexperienced at managing when they were totally inexperienced at running a football club? Recipe for disaster. And I think it’s evidenced by Stockdales summer. First of all they should have got rid of him at the end of last season. He hadn’t shown signs he was the right man for the job. But by then backing him heavily in the summer they must have decided he WAS the right man only to sack him 4 games in. Nothing new was revealed about Stockdale after those first 4 games. All they’ve done is make the job even harder for the next man coming in.
Let’s also look at those summer signings. It seems that we’ve spent (for us) fairly decent money and given long and fairly lucrative contracts. How many of them have proven to be worth it? The board clearly abdicated all responsibility over summer signings to Stockdale - and sure he should have been given scope to choose the players but it’s them who sign off on the spending. They are allowed final say. They clearly told RS we trust you to pick the right people coz we don’t have a clue what we’re doing. The result has been clear for all to see. And then, having done all that, they sack him anyway after 4 games?? So hang on if they can be ruthless when need be to keep the best interests of the club at the forefront then why the fook could they not be ruthless and sack Bentley months ago? It’s almost pointless doing this now. If it ‘costs less’ to sack him now than a few months ago then why not just wait until the end of the season and (perhaps) he gets sacked without any pay-off. We’re going down anyway so surely that money will be useful.

And don’t even get me started on the Brierley situation which had to have been agreed at board level. All of this, all of these decisions have been amateur hour stuff. Yes they saved us from MH but in doing so they have condemned us to losing our EFL status and that means our long term future is just as perilous as it would have been with MH.
Bentley gone on 11:12 - Mar 28 with 1589 views49thseason

It seems the BoD is now working through a plan of some sort, if you couple SGs comments on Saturday to this news on Monday, there is clear linkage. Its hard to see what Bentley has added to performances on the pitch other than a couple of decent signings ( and a few not so good ones). He has been given most if not all he has asked for in difficult financial circumstances. New training facilities, new signings, a new coach for the forwards... but the results have remained stubbornly poor. So the next steps are certain to be interesting, McNulty is under no pressure as the damage has been done, maybe now the players will breath a sigh of relief and play like champions and win 8 games.. unlikely but dafter things have happened.
I dont feel particularly sorry for Bentley, i'm not sure he ever figured out what was needed, too defensively minded, lots of bluster, not much insight or real empathy. A 20th century mentality in a 21st century environment.
So on we go... McNulty has to set them up to score goals and defence be damned. If we can win a few games even now it will give some hope for next seasonl. There is no reward for continuing to do what has gone before, it simply hasnt worked, but lets at least go down all guns blazing and flags flying and start by giving the Wombles a battering. I wonder if the senior players will have a sit down and a heart to heart this week and hlp JMc
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024