Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) 21:52 - Dec 14 with 12875 viewsonehunglow

Come on it’s Christmas …
1. Louis
2.Ali
3.Marciano
4.Lennox Lewis
5.Jack Johnson
6 Dempsey
7.Larry Holmes
8.Mike Tyson
9.Joe Frazier
10. Evander Holyfield
[Post edited 14 Dec 2023 21:54]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:05 - Dec 15 with 970 viewsSullutaCreturned

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:24 - Dec 15 by trampie

Marciano could not beat Welsh rugby players in the ring, lucky for Marciano they did not go into boxing instead of rugby.

Umm, this thing with Dr jack was before Marciano took up boxing. part of his punishment for the Wind street brawl was to go to Wilde's gym and train. He only took it up properly after the war, I think.

I've always been told it was the Adelphi.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:15 - Dec 15 with 960 viewsTogg

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:05 - Dec 15 by SullutaCreturned

Umm, this thing with Dr jack was before Marciano took up boxing. part of his punishment for the Wind street brawl was to go to Wilde's gym and train. He only took it up properly after the war, I think.

Yes think you're correct.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 22:08 - Dec 15 with 941 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:15 - Dec 15 by Togg

Yes think you're correct.

It had to be Welsh rugby players .
Dr Jack was a tough guy for sure
Rocky turned pro 4 years after this contest where no winner was declared ,the rest is history.

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 22:10 - Dec 15 with 940 viewstrampie

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 21:05 - Dec 15 by SullutaCreturned

The story is Marciano had knocked out his previous 6 opponents, if so how many bouts had Marciano had before that ? also I'm sure I seen it that it was only Dr Jack's 4th ever bout and that he didn't tell his parents and didn't continue as he was only helping out his branch of the military.
The story here is how Marciano who became an unbeaten boxing legend was unable to beat a Welsh sporting hero in a boxing match when the Welshman's sport was rugby.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 23:41 - Dec 15 with 905 viewstheloneranger

1 Muhammad Ali
2 Joe Louis
3 Larry Holmes
4 Lennox Lewis
5 Jack Johnson
6 George Foreman
7 Jack Dempsey
8 Rocky Marciano
9 Evander Holyfield
10 Sonny Liston

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 09:04 - Dec 16 with 869 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 23:41 - Dec 15 by theloneranger

1 Muhammad Ali
2 Joe Louis
3 Larry Holmes
4 Lennox Lewis
5 Jack Johnson
6 George Foreman
7 Jack Dempsey
8 Rocky Marciano
9 Evander Holyfield
10 Sonny Liston

Good list that

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 09:40 - Dec 16 with 864 viewshowenjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 22:10 - Dec 15 by trampie

The story is Marciano had knocked out his previous 6 opponents, if so how many bouts had Marciano had before that ? also I'm sure I seen it that it was only Dr Jack's 4th ever bout and that he didn't tell his parents and didn't continue as he was only helping out his branch of the military.
The story here is how Marciano who became an unbeaten boxing legend was unable to beat a Welsh sporting hero in a boxing match when the Welshman's sport was rugby.

Doesnt mean a thing . Marciano was only 20 in 1943 Matthews was 3 years older. Marciano only trained seriously and properly when sentenced by a Swansea magistrate . Before that he was probably a tough hombre with a rep.He took boxing seriously when he returned to the states . Fact is when he turned professional he beat everyone he came up against . Not many stayed vertical . Every punch he threw was a potential ko punch . Thats why his training programme was so intense .It takes tremendous stamina to load every punch to the maximum . You can say he fought stiffs but you can only beat whats in front of you - he never ducked anyone. Archie Moore was a very good boxer was koed by Marciano . Archie Moore was past his best when he fought Ali but he wasn't when he fought Marciano . Jersey Joe another alltime great koed.49 and 0 never been done before or since and he doesnt even make some peoples top 10 .
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 09:47 - Dec 16 with 852 viewstrampie

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 09:40 - Dec 16 by howenjack

Doesnt mean a thing . Marciano was only 20 in 1943 Matthews was 3 years older. Marciano only trained seriously and properly when sentenced by a Swansea magistrate . Before that he was probably a tough hombre with a rep.He took boxing seriously when he returned to the states . Fact is when he turned professional he beat everyone he came up against . Not many stayed vertical . Every punch he threw was a potential ko punch . Thats why his training programme was so intense .It takes tremendous stamina to load every punch to the maximum . You can say he fought stiffs but you can only beat whats in front of you - he never ducked anyone. Archie Moore was a very good boxer was koed by Marciano . Archie Moore was past his best when he fought Ali but he wasn't when he fought Marciano . Jersey Joe another alltime great koed.49 and 0 never been done before or since and he doesnt even make some peoples top 10 .

Marciano was more of a boxer than Dr Jack even at that stage of rocky's career with more boxing experience than Dr Jack who turned out to be as much as Rocky could handle and Dr Jack wasn't a boxer just a supreme sportsman.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:10 - Dec 16 with 837 viewshowenjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 09:47 - Dec 16 by trampie

Marciano was more of a boxer than Dr Jack even at that stage of rocky's career with more boxing experience than Dr Jack who turned out to be as much as Rocky could handle and Dr Jack wasn't a boxer just a supreme sportsman.

Youre not listening Rocky was only honed into the champ AFTER he left Wales . He was a rough tough street brawler not a boxer .He had been arrested by the snowdrops more than once for fighting while stationed in Wales.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:15 - Dec 16 with 834 viewsonehunglow

Marciano more of a boxer?
Dear Lord

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:22 - Dec 16 with 833 viewsKilkennyjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 23:41 - Dec 15 by theloneranger

1 Muhammad Ali
2 Joe Louis
3 Larry Holmes
4 Lennox Lewis
5 Jack Johnson
6 George Foreman
7 Jack Dempsey
8 Rocky Marciano
9 Evander Holyfield
10 Sonny Liston

No Mike Tyson …. Wow ….

Beware of the Risen People

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:44 - Dec 16 with 824 viewsTogg

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:22 - Dec 16 by Kilkennyjack

No Mike Tyson …. Wow ….

The young Tyson definitely in there. As I said he could have been top two if he'd stayed on the straight and narrow. He came back after his prison sentence still a top fighter but maybe not quite as good. Lewis, Holyfield.and Bowe were gaining prominence .personally think the early twenties Tyson would have beaten Holyfield. Lewis was not ready for Tyson at that particular time.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:25 - Dec 16 with 798 viewstheloneranger

You need to understand that Dr Jack fought Rocco Marchegnano the brawler and street fighter, NOT Rocky Marciano , the World Heavyweight Champion!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:43 - Dec 16 with 781 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:22 - Dec 16 by Kilkennyjack

No Mike Tyson …. Wow ….

All about opinion.
Tyson didn’t have the discipline and if he couldn’t bully an opponent he was screwed
Could have added the likes of Gene Tunney and Kritsclow into my list .
I ll start a best pound for pound one when I have time

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:54 - Dec 16 with 773 viewstrampie

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:25 - Dec 16 by theloneranger

You need to understand that Dr Jack fought Rocco Marchegnano the brawler and street fighter, NOT Rocky Marciano , the World Heavyweight Champion!!

You need to understand that Dr Jack was not a boxer but a rugby player (and schoolboy athletics champion) and that Rocky the brawler could not beat him.

Rocky had a reputation but Rocky met his match when he run into the 'Iron man' that is what New Zealanders called Jack Matthews.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2023 12:58]

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 13:02 - Dec 16 with 765 viewshowenjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 12:54 - Dec 16 by trampie

You need to understand that Dr Jack was not a boxer but a rugby player (and schoolboy athletics champion) and that Rocky the brawler could not beat him.

Rocky had a reputation but Rocky met his match when he run into the 'Iron man' that is what New Zealanders called Jack Matthews.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2023 12:58]

Dear me we're going round in circles here.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 13:49 - Dec 16 with 756 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 13:02 - Dec 16 by howenjack

Dear me we're going round in circles here.

Which is what most of Rocky s opponents were before being knocked senseless .
Pity he wasn’t Welsh really as trams would have a different perspective

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:15 - Dec 16 with 735 viewsKilkennyjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 11:44 - Dec 16 by Togg

The young Tyson definitely in there. As I said he could have been top two if he'd stayed on the straight and narrow. He came back after his prison sentence still a top fighter but maybe not quite as good. Lewis, Holyfield.and Bowe were gaining prominence .personally think the early twenties Tyson would have beaten Holyfield. Lewis was not ready for Tyson at that particular time.

Great post

Beware of the Risen People

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 17:27 - Dec 16 with 730 viewshowenjack

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:15 - Dec 16 by Kilkennyjack

Great post

Tyson lost the plot when Cus D'Amoto passed. He was like a father figure to a street urchin . Tyson hung on his every word and it was Cus who kept him on the straight and narrow and it was Cus who imparted the wealth of knowledge that made Tyson the great menacing fighter he was. After Cus passed he sadly became prey for false friends and opportunists and was never the same fighter again.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:58 - Dec 16 with 708 viewsshingle

1 Prime Ali
2 Larry Holmes
3 George Foreman
4 Lennock Lewis
5 Prime Mike Tyson
6 Sonny Liston
7 Riddock Bowe
8 Joe Louis
9 Joe Frazier
10 Evander Holyfield.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:04 - Dec 16 with 703 viewsTogg

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 16:15 - Dec 16 by Kilkennyjack

Great post

The young Tyson was phenomenal. I really don't think in the early years before the birds and booze anybody could touch him. Except in my opinion the early version Cassius Clay or the later Ali. Because Ali was probably the most intelligent heavy weight ever. He could move, keep out of trouble jab and hit. Also look at Alis two wins over Frazier who was a pocket rocket similar to Tyson. His win over Foreman even more incredible. But he struggled with Norton but every fighter has a nemesis.
Holyfield was a great fighter but a lot of pundits think he was juiced up and Lennox in my mind kicked his butt twice.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:08 - Dec 16 with 695 viewsTogg

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 18:58 - Dec 16 by shingle

1 Prime Ali
2 Larry Holmes
3 George Foreman
4 Lennock Lewis
5 Prime Mike Tyson
6 Sonny Liston
7 Riddock Bowe
8 Joe Louis
9 Joe Frazier
10 Evander Holyfield.

To me Bowe should have fought Lewis regardless of the politics, this in my mind he is not top 10. Fought Lewis and won...then yes. Still personally in my thinking is Bowe is not top ten.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:19 - Dec 16 with 684 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:08 - Dec 16 by Togg

To me Bowe should have fought Lewis regardless of the politics, this in my mind he is not top 10. Fought Lewis and won...then yes. Still personally in my thinking is Bowe is not top ten.

Now we re cooking on gas
Great thread from the real POTY

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:27 - Dec 16 with 676 viewsshingle

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:08 - Dec 16 by Togg

Beat Holyfield twice and apart from one split decision defeat defeat never came close to losing and he was fighting 18 stone guys not 13st guys like past so called greats were, and yes i also believe he avoided Lewis for what ever reasons but i have Lewis in my top 4 instead of Bowe so them not fighting is not relevant to me in that regard.
Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:31 - Dec 16 with 669 viewsonehunglow

Boxing GOATs (Heavyweights ) on 19:27 - Dec 16 by shingle

Beat Holyfield twice and apart from one split decision defeat defeat never came close to losing and he was fighting 18 stone guys not 13st guys like past so called greats were, and yes i also believe he avoided Lewis for what ever reasons but i have Lewis in my top 4 instead of Bowe so them not fighting is not relevant to me in that regard.

Dempsey beat Willard when four stone lighter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024