Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tax on transfer fees? 11:07 - Feb 3 with 580 viewssaint901

https://sportslawandtaxation.com/news/1743-football-is-a-transfer-tax-viable-in-

Offered for debate and discussion.

(I did not research and write this but the author is interested in feedback).
Tax on transfer fees? on 11:19 - Feb 3 with 563 viewsPaleRider

Interesting - however it would be an inequitable tax, like VAT, which would have a greater effect on poorer clubs. The bigger clubs would be able to pay the tax easily but even clubs like Saints would get hit. The other problem is that it would not apply to other big clubs in big leagues - such as Spain, Italy, Germany - and would therefore also not be fair.

Initially a good idea but absolutely not the answer.
Tax on transfer fees? on 11:34 - Feb 3 with 544 viewssaint901

One of the purported objectives of a transfer tax is to provide a fund to be distributed between the lower league clubs. In theory this allows them to find and develop talent and rise through the ranks and/or become financially self sustaining.

Take Bristol Rovers now in the 2nd Div. Annual wage bill around £3m. Best paid player a 22 year old winger on around £200k a year. If they could sell him for £5m (peanuts to an EPL team) and receive £500k premium, they have enough to recruit 2 (and a half) players of similar quality. And so on and so on.

The EPL has been very reluctant to share their toys with others and are accused of bullying lower league clubs. However they all buy players - are all forced to have a certain number of home grown players -and can afford the possible levy.
Tax on transfer fees? on 11:38 - Feb 3 with 543 viewsPaleRider

Tax on transfer fees? on 11:34 - Feb 3 by saint901

One of the purported objectives of a transfer tax is to provide a fund to be distributed between the lower league clubs. In theory this allows them to find and develop talent and rise through the ranks and/or become financially self sustaining.

Take Bristol Rovers now in the 2nd Div. Annual wage bill around £3m. Best paid player a 22 year old winger on around £200k a year. If they could sell him for £5m (peanuts to an EPL team) and receive £500k premium, they have enough to recruit 2 (and a half) players of similar quality. And so on and so on.

The EPL has been very reluctant to share their toys with others and are accused of bullying lower league clubs. However they all buy players - are all forced to have a certain number of home grown players -and can afford the possible levy.

I get that but I think this would adversely impact clubs such as Saints, Brighton etc. and is therefore inequitable. I think a better system would be a levy on turnover or even just the TV rights?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024