Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And The Results Are Now In 04:25 - Mar 17 with 3170 viewsexiled_dictator

And it would appear that 104.6% of Russians living in Crimea have voted to break away and become part of a Greater Union.
None of the native Ukrainians living in Crimea were eligible to vote, as they are seen as just bloody foreigners and trouble-makers.
Tea-break over; back to work, comrade.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

And The Results Are Now In on 07:54 - Mar 18 with 723 viewsandygg

The rest of the world should mind their own business.
Let them get on with it.
It was all part of Russia a few years ago anyway.
And The Results Are Now In on 08:54 - Mar 18 with 704 viewsElHoop

The Americans and the plot appear to have been terminally parted.

The EU never knew what it was in the first place.

Of course the Russians will secure their borders and naval installations and the Americans would be expected to do likewise. I think that the Russians are almost goading the Americans into sanctions similar to those applied to Iran. There's no way that the likes of China or Germany will be bullied into complying with similar sanctions against Russia, so either the Americans will end up looking really stupid and perhaps splitting NATO, or they'll have to back down.
And The Results Are Now In on 11:06 - Mar 18 with 671 viewsJuzzie

And The Results Are Now In on 00:40 - Mar 18 by HollowayRanger

ER ....if you are given two options

1.join russia
2.be closer to russia

what option do you pick if your a ukrain national

ITS like the english army flooding into scotland for the vote and the vote being

1.stay as it is part of uk
2.become closer to uk

putin is just another hitler in the making and if no one has balls to stand up to him now things will only get worse ,BEEN UKRAINE 3 times kiev and odessa twice ,NEVER HAD any TROUBLE THERE and they took great pride in being ukrains not russians

But we're not talking about Ukraine/Kiev, they are very pro-Ukrainian/European, that's not in dispute.

We're talking about Crimea and they are very pro-Russian and they WANT to be part of Russia.

Any googling will show many maps from many sources all looking pretty much like this;

Although the image above releates to language, it is very representive of how Ukraine is divided between one half wanting to be affilated to Russia and the other to Ukraine (with a European 'flavour').

Even Odessa, that you mentioned, is leaning more towards Russia.

Again, as I said on the Question Time thread, Ukriane is a very divided country.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2014 11:47]
And The Results Are Now In on 11:51 - Mar 18 with 643 viewsTHEBUSH

And The Results Are Now In on 11:06 - Mar 18 by Juzzie

But we're not talking about Ukraine/Kiev, they are very pro-Ukrainian/European, that's not in dispute.

We're talking about Crimea and they are very pro-Russian and they WANT to be part of Russia.

Any googling will show many maps from many sources all looking pretty much like this;

Although the image above releates to language, it is very representive of how Ukraine is divided between one half wanting to be affilated to Russia and the other to Ukraine (with a European 'flavour').

Even Odessa, that you mentioned, is leaning more towards Russia.

Again, as I said on the Question Time thread, Ukriane is a very divided country.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2014 11:47]

When the Soviet Union as we knew it, broke up in 1991, the Ukraine including the Crimea was declared one country.
Imo. the whole of the Ukraine should vote on the future of the Crimea, not just a Russian led referendum there.
And The Results Are Now In on 12:02 - Mar 18 with 629 viewsJuzzie

And The Results Are Now In on 11:51 - Mar 18 by THEBUSH

When the Soviet Union as we knew it, broke up in 1991, the Ukraine including the Crimea was declared one country.
Imo. the whole of the Ukraine should vote on the future of the Crimea, not just a Russian led referendum there.

That's a very good point but it goes further back than 1991, as far as 1954 (see penultimate paragraphe on the link below).

It's also a bit like saying the whole of the UK should vote as to whether Scotland should go independant or not. My understanding is that it's just Scotland deciding for themselves. Same in Crimea.

So, should the whole of the UK then not have a say on Scotland?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/03/crimea-votes-secede

The last paragrah is interesting and what Holloway (and others elsewhere) have shown concern about, which is completely understandable and I too am concerned.

Could this be the start of Russia claiming back parts of the old Soviet Union (the one's of any use to them anyway)??
And The Results Are Now In on 12:23 - Mar 18 with 617 viewsTHEBUSH

And The Results Are Now In on 12:02 - Mar 18 by Juzzie

That's a very good point but it goes further back than 1991, as far as 1954 (see penultimate paragraphe on the link below).

It's also a bit like saying the whole of the UK should vote as to whether Scotland should go independant or not. My understanding is that it's just Scotland deciding for themselves. Same in Crimea.

So, should the whole of the UK then not have a say on Scotland?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/03/crimea-votes-secede

The last paragrah is interesting and what Holloway (and others elsewhere) have shown concern about, which is completely understandable and I too am concerned.

Could this be the start of Russia claiming back parts of the old Soviet Union (the one's of any use to them anyway)??

The point about the whole of the UK not voting towards independence for Scotland, is that the referendum was given the green light by the present government and not declared unilaterally.
And The Results Are Now In on 12:45 - Mar 18 with 607 viewsElHoop

I think that the Kiev regime started it by removing Russian as an official language in the Crimean peninsular. Was that a democratic move?
And The Results Are Now In on 15:07 - Mar 18 with 586 viewscoolranger

Assuming Crimea is formally absorbed back into the Russian Federation, the bigger problems would lie ahead....

Countries like Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia for example have sizeable Russian minorities (circa 30%). Eastern Moldova is strongly pro-Russian reintegration. Eastern Ukraine is 60%+ Russian. Parts of Belarus would likely be pro-Russian.

Come to think of it the Borough of Kensington & Chelski has a sizeable Russian settlement.....

Are we going to see growing calls emerging from these various groups for the Russian Motherland to come and 'liberate' them?

My own feeling is perhaps Crimea and Eastern Ukraine should be re-absorbed by the Russian Federation, if that is what 60+% of the locals want. BUT....this could unsettle many other countries. Tricky one.
Login to get fewer ads

And The Results Are Now In on 15:12 - Mar 18 with 581 viewsRoundhayRanger

Nothing like Scotland. Scotland is voting on whether it wants to be entirely independent. Crimea (allegedly) wants to join a federation
And The Results Are Now In on 15:58 - Mar 18 with 566 viewsJuzzie

And The Results Are Now In on 15:12 - Mar 18 by RoundhayRanger

Nothing like Scotland. Scotland is voting on whether it wants to be entirely independent. Crimea (allegedly) wants to join a federation

Agreed. I never said they were identical though, my point is that both these people are deciding for themselves where their future lies.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2014 16:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024