Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry & Huw press conference 18:24 - May 9 with 7509 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:05 - May 9 with 3740 viewsymaohyd

I take full credit for Garry going for the Zola esq V-neck jumper and shirt look. It was my suggestion yesterday in response to what look he should go for.

I am a style guru..shame I'm such a scruffy basta*d though!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:07 - May 9 with 3727 viewsIAN05

Some interesting stuff on the reasons for Monks appointment. Got the impression from both that there will be big changes in personnel . Particularly interesting to hear Jenkins talk about not allowing a losing mentality to creep into the club as a result of being in the PL for 3 years.
Garry & Huw press conference on 19:09 - May 9 with 3712 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:05 - May 9 by ymaohyd

I take full credit for Garry going for the Zola esq V-neck jumper and shirt look. It was my suggestion yesterday in response to what look he should go for.

I am a style guru..shame I'm such a scruffy basta*d though!

Note he also chose to wear 'lucky red', a colour that's brought great fortune and happiness to south west wales this season.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:11 - May 9 with 3698 viewsymaohyd

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:09 - May 9 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Note he also chose to wear 'lucky red', a colour that's brought great fortune and happiness to south west wales this season.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:33 - May 9 with 3606 viewsJackoBoostardo

Lucky Red - it's the new South Wales lucky colour

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:27 - May 9 with 3455 viewsShaky

Garry & Huw press conference on 19:07 - May 9 by IAN05

Some interesting stuff on the reasons for Monks appointment. Got the impression from both that there will be big changes in personnel . Particularly interesting to hear Jenkins talk about not allowing a losing mentality to creep into the club as a result of being in the PL for 3 years.

Interesting? Highly unlikely more like.

Jenkins appeared to be giving the impression that everything was actually hunky dory with Laudrup, but he reluctantly came to the conclusion that Monk offered a better manager option due to an enhanced understanding of the club's values, fight, winnning mentality, blah blah blah.

Either the lawyers have control rods steering his vocal chords or he is on some serious mushrooms.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:31 - May 9 with 3439 viewsNeathJack

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:27 - May 9 by Shaky

Interesting? Highly unlikely more like.

Jenkins appeared to be giving the impression that everything was actually hunky dory with Laudrup, but he reluctantly came to the conclusion that Monk offered a better manager option due to an enhanced understanding of the club's values, fight, winnning mentality, blah blah blah.

Either the lawyers have control rods steering his vocal chords or he is on some serious mushrooms.

Or he was just showing some professional respect to a manager who gave us our highest league placing in 30 years and our first major trophy.

You seem very blasé about the need for club values, fight and a winning mentality. Things that certainly seemed to be in short supply in the last few months of Laudrups reign.
Garry & Huw press conference on 21:35 - May 9 with 3429 viewsShaky

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:31 - May 9 by NeathJack

Or he was just showing some professional respect to a manager who gave us our highest league placing in 30 years and our first major trophy.

You seem very blasé about the need for club values, fight and a winning mentality. Things that certainly seemed to be in short supply in the last few months of Laudrups reign.

You're right, I am highly skeptical of 'values' because being nebulous - nobody can really state exactly what they mean - they can in fact mean anything you like

Misology -- It's a bitch

Login to get fewer ads

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:38 - May 9 with 3413 viewsairedale

Huw wants a person with the little guy, Jack Russell, fight mentality.

People from places like S Wales come 'hard wired' with it, and Garry has been here 10 years now, from when we were really small and up against it.
Garry & Huw press conference on 21:38 - May 9 with 3413 viewsStrider

Loosen the head string Huw - he is tilting towards you

Otherwise all good

Loved their faces when asked what the Principles were they held so dear

and Huw skenning like a basket full of whelks when the L word mentioned

3 months late but a little respect goes a long way
Garry & Huw press conference on 21:39 - May 9 with 3409 viewsShaky

For example, the Swansea way was always playing the ball out from the back, no matter the pressure. However, in the last few games we have increasingly seen the ball played long from the back.

It would be an exaggeration to describe that as hoof ball, but to me the change has been obvious.

How does that jive with Monk's supposed reestablishment of the Swansea way?

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:42 - May 9 with 3385 viewsShaky

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:38 - May 9 by airedale

Huw wants a person with the little guy, Jack Russell, fight mentality.

People from places like S Wales come 'hard wired' with it, and Garry has been here 10 years now, from when we were really small and up against it.

I think you are absolutely right; the Perchy blood and guts approach.

But you have got to have some guile, otherwise you are sunk.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:47 - May 9 with 3354 viewsStrider

Garry & Huw press conference on 21:31 - May 9 by NeathJack

In fairness those knives in his back must have been pretty restrictive when dealing with 9 games in a month and still keeping all the balls in the air.
Garry & Huw press conference on 22:27 - May 9 with 3260 viewspencoedjack

I have tried to change my mind and be positive about Monk today, watching that I think he is just Huw's lap dog.

Hope I am wrong & my judgement is clouded.
Garry & Huw press conference on 08:32 - May 10 with 3090 viewsblaine_scfc

Garry & Huw press conference on 22:27 - May 9 by pencoedjack

I have tried to change my mind and be positive about Monk today, watching that I think he is just Huw's lap dog.

Hope I am wrong & my judgement is clouded.

Agreed. Huw wants us to go back to "beating the odds" being the "underdog". No ambition whatsoever. Someone posted this before, but I can't remember who, the club has outgrown the current board we have in place. It's true.
Garry & Huw press conference on 09:15 - May 10 with 3039 viewsBig_Phil

Garry & Huw press conference on 08:32 - May 10 by blaine_scfc

Agreed. Huw wants us to go back to "beating the odds" being the "underdog". No ambition whatsoever. Someone posted this before, but I can't remember who, the club has outgrown the current board we have in place. It's true.

Yes that's right - NOT!!!

There's absolutely no reason to go back to the mentality that actually saw us beat teams in the top 8 of the division, of course there's not....

Just because you have that mindset does not mean you have no ambition.

To be honest, all the surrenders against the big boys and talk of '2 divisions in the Premiership' really p1ssed me off this season

Get behind the manager
Garry & Huw press conference on 09:24 - May 10 with 3010 viewsblaine_scfc

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:15 - May 10 by Big_Phil

Yes that's right - NOT!!!

There's absolutely no reason to go back to the mentality that actually saw us beat teams in the top 8 of the division, of course there's not....

Just because you have that mindset does not mean you have no ambition.

To be honest, all the surrenders against the big boys and talk of '2 divisions in the Premiership' really p1ssed me off this season

Get behind the manager

He's got the job, and I'm behind him. But there is no way with the set of fixtures we had, and the results we got in that period, did he earn a three year contract. That press conference also confirms to me we didn't even look at other potential candidates.
Garry & Huw press conference on 09:32 - May 10 with 2985 viewsShaky

Garry & Huw press conference on 08:32 - May 10 by blaine_scfc

Completely agree.

Listening to Jenkins I was struck by the glaring similarity in his 'philosophy' with the Perchy get stuck in lads/traitors will be shot mentality.

Alas that went out by the mid 80s, devoid as it is of any real tactical understanding of the game or finesse.

I believe Jenkins has allowed himself to be seduced by this Swansea way nonsense, and in the absence of any real definition he has made it up himself.

Unfortunately I believe he has dismally failed to formulate anything sensible in the context of the modern game, and looking at the chemistry with Monk I doubt very much he is the man to disabuse him of this guff.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:38 - May 10 with 2967 viewsPrivate_Partz

But there are leagues within leagues in the Prem. Just look at the spending charts posted on here recently.
Brenda only said recently how proud he was that he had run the 'richest club in the world' so close.
Pullis, Hughes, Bid Sam. Houghton and many others have all said the same thing but in a different way.
ML was quoted as saying that in a one off there is always a chance of beating these clubs but to do it on a regular basis you have to spend big money.
My take on this was that he was prepared to work within budget. To compete at this level however he would sell high value players and bring in others with that money to make us more competitive against the top six and therefore progress.
My guess is that selling Ash and Michu to achieve this was too much for the Board.
[Post edited 10 May 2014 10:04]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:38 - May 10 with 2966 viewsJackfath

At what point in our development do we cease to be the underdog?
At what point do we stop referring to where we were 10 years ago?

Interesting points.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:42 - May 10 with 2948 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:38 - May 10 by Jackfath

Interesting points.

If we're in the Premier League in 2021 we stop referring to where we were 10 years ago.

If we're in league 2 we don't.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:42 - May 10 with 2944 viewsShaky

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:38 - May 10 by Private_Partz

But there are leagues within leagues in the Prem. Just look at the spending charts posted on here recently.
Brenda only said recently how proud he was that he had run the 'richest club in the world' so close.
Pullis, Hughes, Bid Sam. Houghton and many others have all said the same thing but in a different way.
ML was quoted as saying that in a one off there is always a chance of beating these clubs but to do it on a regular basis you have to spend big money.
My take on this was that he was prepared to work within budget. To compete at this level however he would sell high value players and bring in others with that money to make us more competitive against the top six and therefore progress.
My guess is that selling Ash and Michu to achieve this was too much for the Board.
[Post edited 10 May 2014 10:04]

Of course.

In fact it is borderline insanity to suppose that we should be competing on an equal footing with clubs that regularly outspend us by a factor of +10x.

Misology -- It's a bitch

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:43 - May 10 with 2940 viewsWarwickHunt

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:32 - May 10 by Shaky

Completely agree.

Listening to Jenkins I was struck by the glaring similarity in his 'philosophy' with the Perchy get stuck in lads/traitors will be shot mentality.

Alas that went out by the mid 80s, devoid as it is of any real tactical understanding of the game or finesse.

I believe Jenkins has allowed himself to be seduced by this Swansea way nonsense, and in the absence of any real definition he has made it up himself.

Unfortunately I believe he has dismally failed to formulate anything sensible in the context of the modern game, and looking at the chemistry with Monk I doubt very much he is the man to disabuse him of this guff.

This Swansea Way/ethos bollocks has now become a parody of itself.

Genius way of "beating the odds" by lengthening them considerably.
Very Zen.
Garry & Huw press conference on 09:45 - May 10 with 2925 views3swan

We must never stop developing and given a few years will become a recognised Premier League club.
In doing that we will stop being an underdog, but until that is achieved we are still perceived as a small club for this division so still an underdog.
There must be a point that we pick more points than we have against the top 7 as well as doing the business against the rest.
Garry & Huw press conference on 09:50 - May 10 with 2906 viewsWarwickHunt

Garry & Huw press conference on 09:38 - May 10 by Jackfath

Interesting points.

You'd have thought that being a solid mid-table PL club with a (fairly) major trophy and acquiting ourselves very well in Europe would have achieved that.
Not to mention a profit of £21m last year.

ps Garry's been at the club ten years - he should have said, mun.

#shopatwaitrose
[Post edited 10 May 2014 9:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024