Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"legal help" for a friend 19:12 - Jun 4 with 3754 viewswaynekerr55

To cut a long story short my mate was engaged to his then partner and due to get married in July (wedding booked etc.)

She borrowed 3k off his mum to help buy a car (a nearly new Audi A3). They broke up suddenly, she called it off. He has texts to say that she agreed to pay the money back to his mum and him with when she'll start paying.

First payment was due this week to his mum and shock horror she hasn't paid money to her account.

He hasn't yet been to Citizens Advice Bureau yet but what rights (if any) do they have in reclaiming the money? When she moved out she came into the house and took the spare key for the car. He had also paid her insurance and also gave the rest of the cash for the car.

Cheers for the help - my limited knowledge would show that as she has texted him to say she will be paying the money back he has the basis of a contract and he can show that the money was transferred for her.

I also believe that he has to do everything possible to avoid court, so this would be:

Telephone contact
Send letter by recorded delivery asking to arrange mediation
If that fails, small claims court

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

"legal help" for a friend on 22:18 - Jun 4 with 949 views1jack

Jeremy Kyle show?
"legal help" for a friend on 22:22 - Jun 4 with 944 viewsC_jack

He needs to ask himself what the real goal of getting the money back is, for finance or to get back one up on his partner.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

"legal help" for a friend on 22:48 - Jun 4 with 912 viewsCountyJim

Is this friend in a trade union my union has a free help line which is very good and you get free letters from them

Best of luck
"legal help" for a friend on 22:52 - Jun 4 with 909 viewsjack_lord

If it was his money then that would be one thing but he has stated his mother lent her the money.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

"legal help" for a friend on 08:10 - Jun 5 with 831 views3swan

"legal help" for a friend on 22:52 - Jun 4 by jack_lord

If it was his money then that would be one thing but he has stated his mother lent her the money.

If she has home insurance then get her to check the policy as she may have Legal Services cover.

Not sure if it would cover this sort of thing but worth checking
"legal help" for a friend on 09:39 - Jun 5 with 790 viewsCeejay

I made a claim thru small claims once and it was much less daunting than I feared. After our first meeting the solicitor was an expensive observer. Your m8 should get his evidence and case together and seek legal advice. If his case is good he should do everything else by himself. The court is informal and presided over by an experienced solicitor who will know a shyster when sees one.

Your mate needs to prepare for frustrations ahead though as she is likely to deny and delay him and the court every step of the way.

I ended up having to use bailiffs to get what court awarded me.
"legal help" for a friend on 12:21 - Jun 5 with 751 viewsGasanova

"legal help" for a friend on 20:38 - Jun 4 by Dyfnant

Tell her if she doesn't start paying you'll screwdriver a panel every other month until you get your monies worth

Water balloons filled with paint stripper works well
"legal help" for a friend on 16:30 - Jun 5 with 713 viewswaynekerr55

"legal help" for a friend on 09:39 - Jun 5 by Ceejay

I made a claim thru small claims once and it was much less daunting than I feared. After our first meeting the solicitor was an expensive observer. Your m8 should get his evidence and case together and seek legal advice. If his case is good he should do everything else by himself. The court is informal and presided over by an experienced solicitor who will know a shyster when sees one.

Your mate needs to prepare for frustrations ahead though as she is likely to deny and delay him and the court every step of the way.

I ended up having to use bailiffs to get what court awarded me.

He's just told me the CAB told him to try and get a recording of her agreeing to pay the money back...

More chance of a 3 legged rocking horse winning the grand national methinks

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024