Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? 16:40 - Aug 10 with 1474 viewsrigabeliever

Anyone else go to this fixture? As we're making our way down the M6 listening to the radio every game in the country was being called off but we carried on in the full expectation of sitting in a Staffordshire/Shropshire pub whilst the game was called off.

Much to our disbelief we got to the ground and the terraces were covered in snow (the PA warned any accidents were our own fault!) and the pitch was white bar where the ground staff had dug out (ironically) the white lines.

Andy Preece came out with no skin showing other than for his face (if it would have been today I'm sure he would have wore a wooly hat), the ball was orange and to be honest it was a farce of a game which we won. I can't remember why but that win was significant in the season overall!

Poll: When will Blackpool's first win come?

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 17:08 - Aug 10 with 1465 viewsCheungChi_doy

Helped turn the season round and save Megson's job.

Preece took appalling racial abuse from the local troglodytes. Monkey chants and all
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 17:33 - Aug 10 with 1440 viewsTwoPhillips

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 17:08 - Aug 10 by CheungChi_doy

Helped turn the season round and save Megson's job.

Preece took appalling racial abuse from the local troglodytes. Monkey chants and all

Wow that's brought back some memories! CheungChi_doy - remember those chants - wasn't Marvin Bryan playing for us as well. I remember Jingle Bells being sung by the away fans and Preecey going head first in to the snow when he scored. Happy, simpler, days!

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 17:49 - Aug 10 with 1425 viewsWizaard

We won3-1. I was there.

As you say, as we drove down, the temperature on the dash was showing -5 and eventually -8. Presumably leaving the snow on the pitch insulated the pitch to some extent. it's as cold as I've ever been at a game, apart from Boundary Park in June

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 17:51 - Aug 10 with 1422 viewsmikeyboy

Yes I was there - glad to see a game after travelling and remembered it as quite entertaining. Good 3 points.
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 19:03 - Aug 10 with 1397 viewsoriginal_insider

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 17:51 - Aug 10 by mikeyboy

Yes I was there - glad to see a game after travelling and remembered it as quite entertaining. Good 3 points.

I was there. Hairy scarey drive but well worth it.
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 19:23 - Aug 10 with 1387 viewsstu

No but anyone remember Chesterfield away early 80s playing space invaders in the rain.

Tangerine is the new black

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 19:51 - Aug 10 with 1372 viewsSteveBanksDiscoPants

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 19:23 - Aug 10 by stu

No but anyone remember Chesterfield away early 80s playing space invaders in the rain.

Yes.. I was there. I remember stopping on the way and standing in a pub car park in Market Drayton saying WTF are we doing ! Great game. Andy Preece and his tangerine gloves. Jumping up on the barrier of the away end when he scored.
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 19:55 - Aug 10 with 1368 viewsstu

Quality Stevie , bet memory than me re tangerine gloves.

This'll turn into a Barnet probably only about 2 or 300 there

Tangerine is the new black

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 22:02 - Aug 10 with 1347 viewsSteveBanksDiscoPants

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 19:55 - Aug 10 by stu

Quality Stevie , bet memory than me re tangerine gloves.

This'll turn into a Barnet probably only about 2 or 300 there

And I remember a chant of "tangerine ball, tangerine ball"
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 22:29 - Aug 10 with 1341 views1953Original

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 22:02 - Aug 10 by SteveBanksDiscoPants

And I remember a chant of "tangerine ball, tangerine ball"

Now if my mind serves me right wasn't it 3-1 and Megson did all he could to get the game called off!!

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 08:23 - Aug 11 with 1325 viewstangerinedom

Didn't the old Gay Meadow have a river running alongside it and they had a man on a match day in a boat collecting all the balls that went over the stand!

Always remember losing there under McMahon and most of us were resigned to the fact the season was over but we just did enough to get in the play offs and get promotion. From memory the only two trips I had to Gay Meadow!
Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 10:06 - Aug 11 with 1306 viewsbollieboy

Anyone go to the Gay Meadow on New Year's Day? on 08:23 - Aug 11 by tangerinedom

Didn't the old Gay Meadow have a river running alongside it and they had a man on a match day in a boat collecting all the balls that went over the stand!

Always remember losing there under McMahon and most of us were resigned to the fact the season was over but we just did enough to get in the play offs and get promotion. From memory the only two trips I had to Gay Meadow!

For that Steve McMahon game it was first game of cricket season and we were playing at Oakmere on the A49 - one of the coldest days of playing cricket I've ever known. I had 4 sweaters and 2 pairs of flannels on and looked like the Michelin man.

I didn't know the score but I was fielding on the boundary by the road when the Supporter's coaches so was gesturing to the fans trying to get the result. Obviously all I got back was a load of V signs and w**ker salutes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024