Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Oyston Column 14:18 - Aug 12 with 2809 viewsbig_bloomers

Today's Gazette - Karl Oyston Exclusive

"Karl Oyston has been a controversial figure throughout his 15 years as Blackpool chairman and criticism of him has reached new heights this summer - as the club failed to assemble a squad until the final days of pre-season and manager Jose Riga only discovered on Saturday morning that several signings were unavailable to face Nottingham Forrest that day because their registration was incomplete. Writing exclusively in The Gazette, chairman Oyston gives his take on the problem of Saturday and recent weeks, speaks out on wider football issues and explains why he feels it is 'perverse' to label Blackpool a crisis club...

We shouldn't be in this position

Blackpool FC shouldn't be in the position we find ourselves in at the moment and Saturday's situation at the City Ground was both regrettable and avoidable. But I'll start by making one thing clear: our secretary Chris Hough will take absolutely no responsibility for what happened.

I've seen plenty of criticism levelled at him since the game at the weekend, but he was under instruction from me not to play anyone who wasn't properly registered. The fact is that since the manager started work we've wasted several weeks on things we shouldn't have for a number of reasons. That's what caused the situation we had on Saturday. It was always important we hit the ground running with our preparations for the season and we didn't do that. We wasted far too much time chasing targets we would never ever be able to recruit. In many cases, there were illegal requests from agents which would have meant us breaking tax and football rules. We are not prepared to conduct our business in that way. There's no other way of doing things than doing them properly and I'll continue to stick to doing what I believe is for the long-term benefit of Blackpool FC.

Several players who said at the start of the summer that they wouldn't talk to us unless we offered them £10,000 a week are now calling us saying they will accept £3,000 a week. To save £350,000 in one deal by waiting is a price worth paying. Last season we had a squad in place which didn't work out, for whatever reason. As a result, we didn't want to keep the majority of those players and we let them go. Having to do such a massive rebuild was a major problem. It's not ideal, but it's not a case of cause and blame - we just had to do things right.

As for Saturday, here are the facts. Jose Miguel Cubero needs a work permit, which we've had to apply for. It's not a simple process. It takes time and is totally outside our control. We can't speed it up in any way. International clearance for Joan Oriol is exactly the same. Hopefully he will be available for Saturday, if not tonight. On Saturday morning we had to make sure we had the people in place with the proper registration. Celtic have been reinstated into the Champions League because Legia Warsaw fielded an ineligible player. That goes to show that these things have to be done properly. The situation with Ishmael Miller was slightly different, the Football League required clarification on something which meant he missed the deadline.

While it wasn't ideal to be in the situation we found ourselves on Saturday, the season is 46 games long and so it's important we do things right.

'I'll never bow to any pressure'

It's been interesting to read reports about the club over recent weeks, especially the ones which refer to us as a 'crisis club'. Yes, we find ourselves behind in terms of preparation and recruitment for the new season, but I find it perverse that we are described as in crisis.

Over 60 clubs in the Football League have been into administration, dumped hige amounts of debts on to their community, not paid tax and acted irresponsibly. Yet we are called the club in crisis!

If we'd have spent every penny we'd ever made and were in major debt, we wouldn't be newsworthy! And it's for that reason that such reports don't affect me or my family. Obviously they don't help the business but we have no control over what is written. I'll never bow to any pressure, so it's a total waste of time.

Despite all the problems we've encountered so far, I do think we will have a positive season. We certainly shouldn't be favourites for relegation. We have an excellent coach, who is clearly an excellent tactician. We now need to get all our football business conducted as quickly as possible and in as positive a way as we can.

Once the dust settles and we have our squad in place, I've no doubt the manager will organise them well. How people can say we are relegation certainties before we have our squad in place is beyond me.

Back on board as a Championship rep

I'm pleased to say I'll be on the Football League's board again representing the Championship. It's the third time I have been elected and I really enjoy it. There's so much wrong in football and that's what initially made me stand for election in League One.

Many of the issues have been solved now due to us having such a strong leader in Lord Brian Mawhinney. Whatever your political views, there's no doubt he's had a fantastic grounding in politics and you could tell that from the way he operated. We now have Greg Clarke, who is probably one of the finest economic minds I've ever come across.

He's preached since he took over about avoiding the Armageddon football was heading towards, and he has been proved absolutely right. The Championship is now sitting with a billion pound debt and is haemorrhaging money. Financial Fair Play will bring things to a head with the possibility of clubs being hit with a transfer embargo.

It's also great to see some progress being made at Coventry City. It was insane that their fans were having to travel all the way to Northampton to watch their team. Only the fans were suffering but thanks to a massive effort from their stakeholders they are now heading towards a resolution."

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

Karl Oyston Column on 14:22 - Aug 12 with 2799 viewswe_are_Superior

I think he speaks quite wisely. HOWEVER - he has made some of the most basic, inexcusable mistakes this summer he should still stand down and bring back Matt as Chief Exec.

Poll: Would Richie Kyle make a good manager?

Karl Oyston Column on 14:33 - Aug 12 with 2774 viewsMr_Brightside

Karl Oyston Column on 14:22 - Aug 12 by we_are_Superior

I think he speaks quite wisely. HOWEVER - he has made some of the most basic, inexcusable mistakes this summer he should still stand down and bring back Matt as Chief Exec.

When will he understand that no one will listen to a word he says unless he explains where the £11 million went - if he was up front and said it was his Dad's payback fair enough - however he said it wasn't and will be used for the club - when?

Poll: Next win will be against?
Blog: The Love I lost

Karl Oyston Column on 14:42 - Aug 12 with 2754 viewsLytham_FY8

Another puff piece lacking completely in any detail, such as;

'Several players who said at the start of the summer that they wouldn't talk to us unless we offered them £10,000 a week are now calling us saying they will accept £3,000 a week'

Total and utter b0llocks.

Karl lies, we know this.

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

Karl Oyston Column on 15:02 - Aug 12 with 2712 viewsTwoPhillips

Karl Oyston Column on 14:42 - Aug 12 by Lytham_FY8

Another puff piece lacking completely in any detail, such as;

'Several players who said at the start of the summer that they wouldn't talk to us unless we offered them £10,000 a week are now calling us saying they will accept £3,000 a week'

Total and utter b0llocks.

Karl lies, we know this.

I'd be interested to know who .. Jonathan Greening springs to mind

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Karl Oyston Column on 15:12 - Aug 12 with 2694 viewsLytham_FY8

Karl Oyston Column on 15:02 - Aug 12 by TwoPhillips

I'd be interested to know who .. Jonathan Greening springs to mind

They don't exist.

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

Karl Oyston Column on 15:21 - Aug 12 with 2682 viewsBlackpoolRBack

"We wasted far too much time chasing targets we would never ever be able to recruit. In many cases, there were illegal requests from agents which would have meant us breaking tax and football rules. We are not prepared to conduct our business in that way"

If this is true I presume that Oyston, being the fine upstanding member of the Community that he claims to be, AND being a member of the Football League committee, has reported this to the relevant authorities Police, HMRC and the Football League!!

OR, of course, he could just name and shame the people concerned - unless it never happened!
Karl Oyston Column on 15:22 - Aug 12 with 2678 viewsOldSkool

Same old BS from the football leech.
Karl Oyston Column on 15:31 - Aug 12 with 2657 viewsRusty2Stands

Karl Oyston Column on 15:22 - Aug 12 by OldSkool

Same old BS from the football leech.

Lies, lies and more lies.
I really hope the Gazette suffers for employing this utter scumbag as a columnist.
They've stood by and barely offered a squeak as this lowlife has systematically destroyed our once great club, and made us a a national laughing stock.
And now just to rub salt in the wounds, they allow him column inches to preach his lies and bull$hit unopposed.
You really couldn't make it up.
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Oyston Column on 17:07 - Aug 12 with 2565 viewsTrashcan_Man

I've searched for information on the training ground in this article. The usual defeaning silence.
Karl Oyston Column on 18:00 - Aug 12 with 2510 viewstangomonkey

Karl Oyston Column on 17:07 - Aug 12 by Trashcan_Man

I've searched for information on the training ground in this article. The usual defeaning silence.

The man needs a good

Every other sentence is about how much money the club have saved.

There nothing saying that he is going to push on get a proper infacstruture in place, build for the future, build a legecy.

Nothing positive in this for supporters.

Time to leave Oyston
Karl Oyston Column on 22:42 - Aug 12 with 2379 viewsBFC_Tim

Karl Oyston Column on 18:00 - Aug 12 by tangomonkey

The man needs a good

Every other sentence is about how much money the club have saved.

There nothing saying that he is going to push on get a proper infacstruture in place, build for the future, build a legecy.

Nothing positive in this for supporters.

Time to leave Oyston

"the season is 46 games long and so it's important we do things right"

How deluded can one man be!

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024