Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to shine spotlight on Riga 08:22 - Sep 1 with 2262 views1953Original

Whilst I realise this will go totally against the grain of most of our fans, is no one just a little bit concerned about Riga in all of this? He has effectively brought in a whole new squad and has so far racked up six defeats. Little quality, no players of future potential and a rag bag of journeymen and misfits.

With the budget he had available, I feel he should have done better than what he has. I realise the anti-Oyston's will jump on this post with the usual rhetoric but at the end of the day on a lot less money look at who Grayson found - where's the Hoolahan's, Jorgensen's, Morrell's - those players who can make a difference.

If you asked how many of the current squad I'd want to keep, I'd struggle to come up with more than a handful of names.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2014 8:27]

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:25 - Sep 1 with 2257 viewstonysoprano

Assume you meant to say six defeats !
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:26 - Sep 1 with 2255 viewsBFC_Tim

Get your tin hat on Original!! I think most of our fans on the old board would lynch you for such a comment. The blind hatred of the Oyston's is blurring many fans minds and at the end of the day it's about winning football games and so far Riga hasn't done that.

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:27 - Sep 1 with 2246 views1953Original

Good spot Tony and duly amended! Early morning brain - but I'll stick by what I said!

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:48 - Sep 1 with 2240 viewsbig_bloomers

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:27 - Sep 1 by 1953Original

Good spot Tony and duly amended! Early morning brain - but I'll stick by what I said!

I think the thing that has disappointed me most about Riga is his style of play. I was expecting this exciting, high energy, passing style of play but all too often it's been 'lump the ball up to Miller and hope for the best'.

We need a re-think in all areas of the pitch and to bring in at least four today or we will struggle. This is where he has to prove himself.

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 09:00 - Sep 1 with 2233 viewsLytham_FY8

If a chairman appoints a manager he's supposed to back his targets, not question them and then dump any freebie or loan he can on to the new man. Especially when said chairman has stated on numerous occasions in print that he knows nothing about football.

With you also stating 'the budget available' I trust you're privy to this information?

It's his career in the balance, not everyone can be handed a job by their father. Of course Joffrey has no concept of this.

Anyone supporting the Oystons is no supporter of the club.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2014 9:14]

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 09:53 - Sep 1 with 2202 viewsHannibal_de_Seaside

We've had the same owner with the same attitude for many years now, and the budget for the current manager can't be much different from those we've seen in the past. There is something in the original post. However given the shambles of the close season I think it's harsh to judge Riga's style just yet. September holds five very difficult games; if he's used the two week break to build something with the players and shows something different during the month then there is hope. Five more defeats might indicate he has no fresh ideas.
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 09:58 - Sep 1 with 2193 viewstde74

I don't think there have been many times a new manager has come in to a second tier professional football club and had virtually no first teamers in situ. To then have to put a team together from scratch was/is an enormous challenge.

Add in the 'unique' working conditions that our beloved chairman imposes and you've got pretty much the definition of an impossible job.

I'm amazed we've actually got enough players to field a team to be honest, my bar for the season is set that low. If we escape relegation... hell, if we finish anywhere but rock bottom, I might just have to have a re-think about divine intervention.
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 12:21 - Sep 1 with 2141 viewsKOSBowlCut

Have to say he didn't get my vote over summer - would have much more preferred a young English manager like Grayson or Rowett.

Poll: Would you play Nile Ranger from the start against Reading?

Login to get fewer ads

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 12:27 - Sep 1 with 2135 viewsFY4MIKEH

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 12:21 - Sep 1 by KOSBowlCut

Have to say he didn't get my vote over summer - would have much more preferred a young English manager like Grayson or Rowett.

I'm tending to agree bowl cut .
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 12:42 - Sep 1 with 2124 viewsPoolman

I think if we fail to get anyone in today or Jose is not gushing with praise for those who come in then the spotlight won't be on our Belgian manager!

Poll: What did you do with Fonz?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 13:09 - Sep 1 with 2103 viewsLytham_FY8

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 12:42 - Sep 1 by Poolman

I think if we fail to get anyone in today or Jose is not gushing with praise for those who come in then the spotlight won't be on our Belgian manager!

I despair, no wonder Karlio has got away with this sh1t for so long with some of fans so very easily hoodwinked.

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 13:32 - Sep 1 with 2091 viewsBisphamtang

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 13:09 - Sep 1 by Lytham_FY8

I despair, no wonder Karlio has got away with this sh1t for so long with some of fans so very easily hoodwinked.

Spotlight on Riga FFS
Again there is this instinct amongst the support that cannot accept or try to deflect wha tis going on in the upper echelons of our club
Yes Riga appears to be as stubborn as KO but has compromised on some of the players coming in=apparently two cash bids in today which the manager appears to know nothing about
If this mess was Riga's fault he should be potted but what if the person responsible is KO as many believe?Who will hold him to account?
Sorry this post appears to be a case of getting in first as personally i am not sure Riga will be around for the Wolves game
Can hear it now Riga got it wrong,lets stop looking back and look forward,get behind the new manager,judge us in May.
I have always considered myself a moderate but this is shi'ite.
Thank God i took the one season option on our ST's
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 14:06 - Sep 1 with 2073 viewsLytham_FY8

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 13:32 - Sep 1 by Bisphamtang

Spotlight on Riga FFS
Again there is this instinct amongst the support that cannot accept or try to deflect wha tis going on in the upper echelons of our club
Yes Riga appears to be as stubborn as KO but has compromised on some of the players coming in=apparently two cash bids in today which the manager appears to know nothing about
If this mess was Riga's fault he should be potted but what if the person responsible is KO as many believe?Who will hold him to account?
Sorry this post appears to be a case of getting in first as personally i am not sure Riga will be around for the Wolves game
Can hear it now Riga got it wrong,lets stop looking back and look forward,get behind the new manager,judge us in May.
I have always considered myself a moderate but this is shi'ite.
Thank God i took the one season option on our ST's

I like the voting system for posts, you can instantly see who's a frickin idiot.

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 17:37 - Sep 1 with 2021 viewsjanegallagher

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 14:06 - Sep 1 by Lytham_FY8

I like the voting system for posts, you can instantly see who's a frickin idiot.

No one on this thread is backing the Oystons, no one. Have another read

We’ve got Simon Sadler

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 18:52 - Sep 1 with 1976 viewsbig_bloomers

The fall out from this lack of transfer activity could have repercussions for weeks, if not months to come. I get the feeling both sides will be very quick to come out and tell their side of the story to save some sort of face.

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 21:02 - Sep 1 with 1861 viewstangerinedom

The other site is ignominious with rage - how dare anyone suggest anyone other than Beelzebub Oyston is to blame
[Post edited 1 Sep 2014 21:03]
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 21:14 - Sep 1 with 1774 viewsTrashcan_Man

The one player we know Riga actually wanted, Cubero, hasn't had a kick yet. Two players who look lilke they can play a bit, Mellis and Orlandi have been injured. So, that effectively his midfield gone and there are NO squad back-ups. In the first match, we couldn't fill the bench because players were not registered. Is that Riga's fault too? Shall I complain to him about the temperature of the coffee at the ground?

I am actually stunned that Riga is under scrutiny here. You should all be thoroughly ashamed
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 21:17 - Sep 1 with 1752 viewsAlfHooker

Not sure about shining the spotlight. We all know who ultimately is behind our current fiasco, however JR is a contributor.
Some of his team selections have raised eyebrows, including formations and playing players out of position for (sometimes) no apparent reason. Yes his hands have been tied but he should be aware at least of who plays where.
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 21:31 - Sep 1 with 1698 viewsWizaard

He's been completely hamstrung by the lack of a squad and even support staff.

As such, he is absolved of blame in my eyes.
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 23:15 - Sep 1 with 1583 viewsAlainBstard

Whatever view you may have of Riga, who appointed him ???
We all know the answer and that person must take responsibility for his decisions.
There is only one person to blame 100 % for the present mess.
Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:44 - Sep 3 with 1408 viewsthebigone

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 23:15 - Sep 1 by AlainBstard

Whatever view you may have of Riga, who appointed him ???
We all know the answer and that person must take responsibility for his decisions.
There is only one person to blame 100 % for the present mess.

I don't believe any manager in that position could have done much better. The whole thing took too long, there was no clarity and because of KO it has turned in to a shambles.

That said, we have a better squad than last season and I'd like to think Riga can get them in to some semblance of order to fight in September.

Poll: After the articles - Who do you blame?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 19:46 - Sep 3 with 1258 viewsPoolman

If the spotlight is on Riga, I like many feel he may be reaching for the off switch!

Poll: What did you do with Fonz?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 16:33 - Sep 4 with 1221 viewswespens

Time to shine the spotlight on Riga for all the wrong reasons - he needs to stand up and stand firm against Karl Oyston. Some would say why bother? However he has his reputation at stake here and time someone stood up to the oaf. Hopefully Riga and his agent will not pull any punches with his next step.

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 08:11 - Sep 5 with 1156 viewswe_are_Superior

Time to shine spotlight on Riga on 16:33 - Sep 4 by wespens

Time to shine the spotlight on Riga for all the wrong reasons - he needs to stand up and stand firm against Karl Oyston. Some would say why bother? However he has his reputation at stake here and time someone stood up to the oaf. Hopefully Riga and his agent will not pull any punches with his next step.

Few things I've not got

1. As arguably our best player against Blackburn, why has he not started with Cykwa since
2. Why did he make McMahon captain so early when actually we need a better right back
3. Why when Ranger was so powerful against Wigan when he came on did he not play him instead of Zoko
4. What is his system - struggling to make it out
5. Is he over-cautious at the start of games and too 'kitchen sink' at the end of games?

Have to say I've not really seen anything tactically that has over impressed me

Poll: Would Richie Kyle make a good manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024