Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boro versus Pool 15:00 - Oct 1 with 706 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Middlesbrough (twin town Gdansk) is a character forming trip at any time, let alone when it's scheduled for a Tuesday night and you haven't won since April. Early enquiries revealed that GNER wanted £123 for the privilege of travelling up with them from The Smoke, and the local business community seems to think £59 is a sensible price for a hotel room.

Some ingenuity was therefore required, and it was nice to have an hour in Plucky Little Wigan in the new POC before Ryder Cup arrived to ferry us at very purposeful speed to Yarm for more beer.

As alluded to elsewhere, our support was pretty low in numbers last night, and the first five minutes were a worry as the home side buzzed around our box with great purpose and forced a good save out of Lewis. After that though we settled to the task nicely, with some good passing and movement taking the initiative away from them and silencing the home support (never that hard a job at the Riverside, in truth, but it makes us sound like Liverpool of the early 1980s).

Having done all that, we then conceded a really soft goal as a result of not clearing our lines when we had two chances to do so, and I felt Lewis could have done better with the header as it crept in. Our response though was almost immediate - a wonderful cross by Oriol converted by Miller for a much-needed goal for him and us.

After that, we dominated until the break, and should have had at least one more, with Orlandi forcing a great save from their keeper and Perkins hitting the post. It's a moot point whether we could have continued in this vein, but Cubero's injury definitely weakened our ability to rotate the play. Lundstram is a very different player in many ways and his distribution isn't nearly as precise - it did show in the second half, although he didn't deserve all the stick he was getting from behind me, I felt.

They had by far the most of the ball and the play in the second half, and although they got down the channels well a couple of times, most of the play was in front of us. Towards the end of the game we made a visible effort to push them back and made a couple of half chances for Miller that on another day might have led to something.

A draw was a fair result though - they didn't do enough to win and were another very ordinary looking side to me. The manner of it was encouraging too - we played some nice, purposeful football, defended decently under pressure and kept our collective nerve well. It was certainly well received in the away end, where the vocal support all night was excellent.

I must just thank RyderCup for getting me back to my B&B by a little after midnight. I know he was impressed that the lady running the establishment was looking for me from the window when we arrived. The mystery of this was solved when I asked what time breakfast was, and her reply was "What time would you like it? You're the only person staying." It's the personal touches that mean so much.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 15:02]

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Boro versus Pool on 15:05 - Oct 1 with 687 viewsscu70

Best performance of the season IMO.thought we deserved to win the game.
Boro versus Pool on 15:12 - Oct 1 with 680 viewsseasider12000

were there any "extras" on the menu?
Boro versus Pool on 15:26 - Oct 1 with 663 viewsBFC_Tim

Boro versus Pool on 15:12 - Oct 1 by seasider12000

Always good to hear when BasilRobbie has good things to say - although I'd hate to think what happened if he phoned down for an extra pillow (is that still the discrete way to do it!)

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

Boro versus Pool on 15:26 - Oct 1 with 663 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Boro versus Pool on 15:12 - Oct 1 by seasider12000

If you mean fried bread - yes.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Boro versus Pool on 17:55 - Oct 1 with 604 viewshertfordseasider

Boro versus Pool on 15:26 - Oct 1 by basilrobbiereborn

If you mean fried bread - yes.

Black Pudding??

Good report, the joys of being retired, mid week trips and stop overs, bliss!
Boro versus Pool on 22:18 - Oct 1 with 541 viewsHarryHorse

Boro versus Pool on 17:55 - Oct 1 by hertfordseasider

Black Pudding??

Good report, the joys of being retired, mid week trips and stop overs, bliss!

Fair report that Robbie, there were signs of improvement last night , as long as the manager is in place and some loans arrive there is still hope of avoiding the drop (despite the efforts of the chairman to extinguish it before the season started)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024