Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what have we gained by selling Bony? 22:29 - Jan 14 with 2502 viewsPlastic_Fanzalona

We owned a very good striker,
we paid, was it £12m?
we were getting a good goal return, which was the aim when we bought him.
we were able to compete with the team's higher up the premier league.
I t is always a gamble binging in a new striker, we had a striker for the reasonable sum of £12m, who was comparable to the best in our league.
we now have £25m . If we want to buy a player as good as Bony, we will need to spend that £25m and still it will be a gamble wether we get a striker that suits our style
of play.
I am finding it difficult to see what we have achieved.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 22:34 - Jan 14 with 2477 viewsmonmouth

Excellent stuff. Not enough Bony threads around.

Just saying.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 22:35 - Jan 14 with 2466 viewsBobJack

Going to gain a widened path by north/ east stand.

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 22:39 - Jan 14 with 2441 viewsnantywatcher

What a crazy logic! We sold Joe Allen for 15 mill and bought Ki for 5 mill. Does that answer your question?
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:09 - Jan 14 with 2329 viewsPlastic_Fanzalona

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 22:39 - Jan 14 by nantywatcher

What a crazy logic! We sold Joe Allen for 15 mill and bought Ki for 5 mill. Does that answer your question?

No, not really, How many £ 12M strikers fail to make an impression in the premier league?
Same with a £30m or £40m striker.
strikers are harder to find.
We had a Mercedes for the price of a focus,
we sold the Mercades for the price of a high mileage Mercedes, but really we would still like to own that Mercedes, or one like it.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:30 - Jan 14 with 2273 viewsdameedna

Some we keep some we don't the point is we either get money or keep the player.

In this case we got some money.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:41 - Jan 14 with 2253 viewsPlastic_Fanzalona

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:30 - Jan 14 by dameedna

Some we keep some we don't the point is we either get money or keep the player.

In this case we got some money.

Oh I get it now, we don't need a striker as much as we need the money.
But if we had a good cup run, and maybe managed to finish 6th or 7th due to Bony's goals, wouldn't we have the money and the player?
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 00:08 - Jan 15 with 2215 viewsPlastic_Fanzalona

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:41 - Jan 14 by Plastic_Fanzalona

But if we had a good cup run, and maybe managed to finish 6th or 7th due to Bony's goals, wouldn't we have the money and the player?

We could be onto a good money spinner with this new financial way of looking at things, we could probably get the coffers up to £100m if we sell our starting 11.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 08:14 - Jan 15 with 2042 viewshammy

I think it was more the fact that Bony wanted to move on to test himself at the highest level, which he stated from day one. We just tried to get the best deal possible. A shame that Man Citeh's spending power has been curtailed by FFP because we would probably have negotiated a better transfer fee.

However good Wilf was for us I think the number of actual points gained by his goals this and last season is being slightly overstated. For example, his goal against QPR gave us a point but his goal against West Ham (in the 3-1 away defeat) didn't really achieve anything. If someone wants to review all his goals this season and see how much they contributed to our points tally / league position then that would be an interesting exercise.

Will also be interesting to see how many more points we get for the rest of the season without Bony. Football is after all a team game ...

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Login to get fewer ads

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 08:27 - Jan 15 with 2019 viewsdameedna

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:41 - Jan 14 by Plastic_Fanzalona

Yes we would

Maybe we will still do it

Without Bony

That will be achieving the same with less; more with less or less with less

At least we did not sign Balitiotelli and it looks like we owe Jenks a big thank you

edit Baliotelli
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 8:27]
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 08:57 - Jan 15 with 1969 viewsmonmouth

Agent has greed. Agent wants player to move. Agent sets up move.

Player has all the power. Player wants to go. Player gone.

Nothing difficult to grasp there. Does anyone think Swans really had a choice of keeping him? In this case I'm in the disappointed with the price aspect, but who knows what went on, and as already said a million times in all the other Bony threads, I suspect the Michu disaster played heavily here.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 09:26 - Jan 15 with 1941 viewsLeonisGod

We've gained the money but now have a not-enviable task of replacing a top class striker. But we could have easily had the same conversation about Michu when he was at his peak as the value being talked about were similar. Look how that turned out, so there's no guarantee how anything will work out. The board have continued to pull rabbits out of hats and maybe will unearth another gem. Maybe we already have in Gomis? Or Nelson? it's not going to be easy (again), but only time will tell if selling Bony will set us back.

The only certainty is that Bony wanted to go, and that's understandable. He'll be playing in the Champions League against the best in a months time. We couldn't compete against that. So we had little choice in the sale.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 09:35 - Jan 15 with 1919 viewspremierjack

He wanted to go !!!!! There was nothing we could do to stop it happening.

Move on!
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 09:52 - Jan 15 with 1896 viewsjohnlangy

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 09:35 - Jan 15 by premierjack

He wanted to go !!!!! There was nothing we could do to stop it happening.

Move on!

Spot on.

All you can do is try to get the best deal. Only the board know whether that was achieved. Some people say £28 m wasn't enough but to get £25 m up front is an added bonus, whatever the reason for asking for it. Possibly cash available immediately for infrastructure spend ? Maybe being able to drive a better deal when buying in a replacement for cash ?

We'll see.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 10:49 - Jan 15 with 1830 viewsAnotherJohn

Doesn't even seem it was up-front though - the whisper is three installments over 24 months. And that makes me think we should have waited until the summer and done our best to manage any resistance from Wilf.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 13:19 - Jan 15 with 1725 viewsPlastic_Fanzalona

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 10:49 - Jan 15 by AnotherJohn

Doesn't even seem it was up-front though - the whisper is three installments over 24 months. And that makes me think we should have waited until the summer and done our best to manage any resistance from Wilf.

Yes, I think we should have rode it out till the end of the season to achieve the best possible from this season, a lot of players that we should be targeting to make an improved squad, will command far higher wages than we currently pay but that is just a symptom of the league we are in.
I can now see that keeping Bony would have restricted his ambition and caused discontent, so cashing in was a keep the piece strategy.
however I would of liked to have done the deal at the end of the season.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 19:38 - Jan 15 with 1603 viewsjacksinceever

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 23:09 - Jan 14 by Plastic_Fanzalona

No, not really, How many £ 12M strikers fail to make an impression in the premier league?
Same with a £30m or £40m striker.
strikers are harder to find.
We had a Mercedes for the price of a focus,
we sold the Mercades for the price of a high mileage Mercedes, but really we would still like to own that Mercedes, or one like it.

My father in law owned a Jag, traded it in for a cheaper newer car thinking he'd be happier, swapped that for another run of the mill car, only to realise that he missed his Jag. To replace it cost him several thousand more.
The moral of this true story is that we cannot replace Bony (a class striker) with a run of the mill striker. Either we'll strike lucky with Gomis or A.N.Other, or we'll end up having to spend £25 million + just to get a striker of similar class.
Of course my in-laws Jag had no choice in leaving, where as Bony ......
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 19:42 - Jan 15 with 1595 viewsjacksinceever

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 10:49 - Jan 15 by AnotherJohn

If it is three instalments then that's disgusting. Man City have enough funds to easily pay £25 million on exchange of contracts, with the other £3 million in August
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 19:58 - Jan 15 with 1540 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Monk doesn't seem to mind. He doesn't even expect the money to strengthen. Bony was great, but we are more than that.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 19:58 - Jan 15 with 1538 viewslibertine

exactly we paid a relatively low amount (all be it a gamble) for an unknown player the gamble paid off and our position in the table is very good because of a team effort based around that players style.

now we are in a situation where we have to buy another striker as it appears our other striker will be on his way.

surely we are not paying an agent for this service.

we spent years trying to get the right striker and then got rid of him.

Man city have done really well here we've taken all the gamble and they've taken all the gain and they've got the cheek to hold onto the money for a few more years, I hope they don't go bust 9although I very much doubt it}
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 20:02 - Jan 15 with 1527 viewsNeiltheTaylor

It could be argued that Bony wasn't the right "type" of striker for us and encouraged us to bang it long too often.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 20:02 - Jan 15 with 1524 viewsdobjack2

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 13:19 - Jan 15 by Plastic_Fanzalona

Yes, I think we should have rode it out till the end of the season to achieve the best possible from this season, a lot of players that we should be targeting to make an improved squad, will command far higher wages than we currently pay but that is just a symptom of the league we are in.
I can now see that keeping Bony would have restricted his ambition and caused discontent, so cashing in was a keep the piece strategy.
however I would of liked to have done the deal at the end of the season.

I expected/wanted Wilf to stay until the end of the season.

However none of us know what went on with this move or when his contract was renegotiated.
what have we gained by selling Bony? on 08:42 - Jan 16 with 1322 viewsBonjour

what have we gained by selling Bony? on 20:02 - Jan 15 by NeiltheTaylor

It could be argued that Bony wasn't the right "type" of striker for us and encouraged us to bang it long too often.

With all due respect, I don't think that can be argued.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024