Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT : Greek tragedy? 15:12 - Jan 26 with 1507 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I don't mean the passing of Demis Roussos, I'm on about the Unholy Anti-Austerity Alliance that has emerged from their elections yesterday.

This obviously has implications for monetary and political union within the EU, and for Germany in particular. But I was wondering as I wandered around Sainsbury's** earlier what the implications are for our own election in May.

On the face of it, you'd think a fresh bout of chaos in Brussels would be meat and drink for UKIP. And that might be exactly how it pans out. But given that Merkel is going to be under greater pressure now, I doubt she'll want to fight on more fronts than necessary and whether therefore Cameron might get some short-term slack in terms of promises of reform. Which of course he would shout about from the rooftops right through the campaign, as well as reminding us his is the only party that would give us a referendum on membership of an institution "being held to ransom by one of its smaller and more irresponsible nations". ***

** not a good idea, I nearly forgot to buy crumpets

*** select your own rhetoric
[Post edited 26 Jan 2015 15:25]

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

OT : Greek tragedy? on 15:47 - Jan 26 with 1484 viewsWizaard

From a selfish point of view (which fits in well with most parties' views) I wonder how it will impact on my holidays.

Do you take a punt on turning up on a Greek Island with food and drink costing much less or are prices likely to rise as the new Greek Government slackens its grip on the economy and inflation soars?

Any views?
OT : Greek tragedy? on 15:58 - Jan 26 with 1477 viewsgiro

Robbie,
There's nothing that concentrates the mind more than being owed 240 billion euros!

Not even a 7-2 defeat at Watford!
OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:36 - Jan 26 with 1449 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : Greek tragedy? on 15:47 - Jan 26 by Wizaard

From a selfish point of view (which fits in well with most parties' views) I wonder how it will impact on my holidays.

Do you take a punt on turning up on a Greek Island with food and drink costing much less or are prices likely to rise as the new Greek Government slackens its grip on the economy and inflation soars?

Any views?

You lost me at "turning up on a Greek island".

OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:51 - Jan 26 with 1434 viewsHertsseasider

OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:36 - Jan 26 by basilrobbiereborn

Enough of Greek Robbie, you are booked for Bournemouth. £28.60. Leave on the 09.05 from Waterloo.

Now carry on.....

"Schools Out London"

OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:54 - Jan 26 with 1431 viewsgiro

Not a fan of foreign climes, Robbie?
OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:54 - Jan 26 with 1432 viewsscratchingshed

Shows the E U up for what it really is, a so called one alliance of many countries who's motto is we are all equal as one but in reality only if you are either French or German.
OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:59 - Jan 26 with 1428 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:54 - Jan 26 by giro

Not a fan of foreign climes, Robbie?

No problem with foreign climes giro. But Greece doesn't appeal. I'll change my mind before we play AEK Athens in the Europa League though.

OT : Greek tragedy? on 17:28 - Jan 26 with 1420 viewsgiro

OT : Greek tragedy? on 16:59 - Jan 26 by basilrobbiereborn

No problem with foreign climes giro. But Greece doesn't appeal. I'll change my mind before we play AEK Athens in the Europa League though.

I can highly recommend the Greek Islands, if you haven't already tried them?
Login to get fewer ads

OT : Greek tragedy? on 17:31 - Jan 26 with 1420 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : Greek tragedy? on 17:28 - Jan 26 by giro

I can highly recommend the Greek Islands, if you haven't already tried them?

Thanks giro.

I can recommend winning at Wembley.

OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:13 - Jan 26 with 1391 viewsphil007tangerine

OT : Greek tragedy? on 17:31 - Jan 26 by basilrobbiereborn

Thanks giro.

"Unholy Anti-Austerity Alliance that has emerged from their elections yesterday. "

??
You mean a democratically elected party that backs the people who want an end to the crushing austerity measures the Troika has imposed.

If those measures had been imposed on Britain there would be a revolution never mind a new government.
OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:23 - Jan 26 with 1388 viewsRusty2Stands

Thanks giro.

Good one.
OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:24 - Jan 26 with 1386 viewsgiro

Thanks giro.

You nearly made me chuckle with that one, robbie

Have you done, or planning to do The Ashes, in Oz?
OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:36 - Jan 26 with 1379 viewsFountain

OT : Greek tragedy? on 15:47 - Jan 26 by Wizaard

Any views?

It is worth taking a punt on the Greek islands. Prices are likely to increase slowly if at all- locals have to live too. Today I see the £ has steadied and slightly fallen back and I would expect it to fall to 1.26ish over the next few weeks as the reality, not the anticipation kicks in .

Over the 12 months you have gained in excess of 20% even at 1.26 which makes it very attractive especially away from tourist traps.

Of course some of us anticipated this and booked early- June flights to Crete £115rtn, nice Villa by the sea at early discount rates and cheap (er) meals out and in

As Wham might have penned- Get back, hand's off, go for it....

slap me on the patio

OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:47 - Jan 26 with 1367 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:24 - Jan 26 by giro

You nearly made me chuckle with that one, robbie

Have you done, or planning to do The Ashes, in Oz?

No, and no to be honest. Too many drunken ruffians for my taste. And Aussies as well.

OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:08 - Jan 26 with 1351 viewsgiro

OT : Greek tragedy? on 18:47 - Jan 26 by basilrobbiereborn

No, and no to be honest. Too many drunken ruffians for my taste. And Aussies as well.

The Aussie are fine.
The scariest thing that happen to me was'nt, as you might expect, climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
It happened south of Adelaide, in a very small place, called Normanville.
Someone drove passed, towing a caravan, with a b loody Blackpool sticker in the window!
I'm still having therapy!
OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:18 - Jan 26 with 1341 viewsTejas

Interesting one this, if a little unsurprising. Greece has been tumbling down this road for some time now. You have a radical left wing anti-austerity populist party in coalition with the Independence Greeks, a centre-right party with some vague similarities with our own UKIP. Add to this mix the far-right nutjobs who have a significant share of the vote and will not be happy with this outcome at all. All with very different views on immigration and all hell bent on defaulting on Greece's bail out loan from the EU.

The EU have handled Greece very poorly and heaping unsustainable debt on an already impoverished Nation was never going to end well, but I think we'll all see an impact. A weak Euro is developing and a strong pound against the Euro is a disaster for our import and export business, not to mention our bi-lateral trading deals where we actually trade in the Euro itself. Ultimately though this will all be about the German reaction. Merkel has already been "instructed" not to allow any concessions to the Greeks and the Greeks are insisting on defaulting 50% of their debt. She is in a no win position and any concession to Greece could result in a waterfall of smaller Nations wanting to renegotiate their debt position. Italy, Spain and even France may join in - and how do you think the Irish would feel after holding out against a full bail out?

It all makes the elections here even more interesting. The honeymoon with the media is well and truly over for Farage with all the papers, Express apart, highlighting every negative aspect of his party. This has given Cameron the confidence to take Europe and Immigration off the table for the run up to the election so the Tories can focus more on the economy. If Merkel screws this up Farage and UKIP could be back in the game.

On a final point, the new Greek Government's strategy to borrow even more to buy themselves out of Austerity (although defaulting on their current debt will not be helpful in this cause) is very similar to Labour's traditional strategy in this Country. A catastrophic failure by the Greeks could provide our right wing press with an absolute field day against Labour. On the other hand, compromise by Merkel and success by Syriza could finish UKIP and put Labour into office.
OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:30 - Jan 26 with 1331 viewsTang67

OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:18 - Jan 26 by Tejas

Interesting one this, if a little unsurprising. Greece has been tumbling down this road for some time now. You have a radical left wing anti-austerity populist party in coalition with the Independence Greeks, a centre-right party with some vague similarities with our own UKIP. Add to this mix the far-right nutjobs who have a significant share of the vote and will not be happy with this outcome at all. All with very different views on immigration and all hell bent on defaulting on Greece's bail out loan from the EU.

The EU have handled Greece very poorly and heaping unsustainable debt on an already impoverished Nation was never going to end well, but I think we'll all see an impact. A weak Euro is developing and a strong pound against the Euro is a disaster for our import and export business, not to mention our bi-lateral trading deals where we actually trade in the Euro itself. Ultimately though this will all be about the German reaction. Merkel has already been "instructed" not to allow any concessions to the Greeks and the Greeks are insisting on defaulting 50% of their debt. She is in a no win position and any concession to Greece could result in a waterfall of smaller Nations wanting to renegotiate their debt position. Italy, Spain and even France may join in - and how do you think the Irish would feel after holding out against a full bail out?

It all makes the elections here even more interesting. The honeymoon with the media is well and truly over for Farage with all the papers, Express apart, highlighting every negative aspect of his party. This has given Cameron the confidence to take Europe and Immigration off the table for the run up to the election so the Tories can focus more on the economy. If Merkel screws this up Farage and UKIP could be back in the game.

On a final point, the new Greek Government's strategy to borrow even more to buy themselves out of Austerity (although defaulting on their current debt will not be helpful in this cause) is very similar to Labour's traditional strategy in this Country. A catastrophic failure by the Greeks could provide our right wing press with an absolute field day against Labour. On the other hand, compromise by Merkel and success by Syriza could finish UKIP and put Labour into office.

Tricky one this-as given the impact of austerity in Greece you can see why a hard line anti party has won the elections-there are some really interesting developments and anti big corporation initiatives-i think there will be some form of compromise

Whatever the outcome Greece will have to reform and start paying taxes

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:55 - Jan 26 with 1313 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:08 - Jan 26 by giro

The Aussie are fine.
The scariest thing that happen to me was'nt, as you might expect, climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
It happened south of Adelaide, in a very small place, called Normanville.
Someone drove passed, towing a caravan, with a b loody Blackpool sticker in the window!
I'm still having therapy!

We've had you surrounded since Time Immemorial. Didn't you know?

OT : Greek tragedy? on 20:24 - Jan 26 with 1297 viewsPlumbs

OT : Greek tragedy? on 19:55 - Jan 26 by basilrobbiereborn

We've had you surrounded since Time Immemorial. Didn't you know?

There's no point in spending money- just look where it got Crystal Palace.

*Good thread
[Post edited 26 Jan 2015 20:25]

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024