Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Makes a welcome change 20:45 - Apr 5 with 1297 viewsWizaard

To actually come away from a game talking about the game itself, and not in a depressed sort of way. In the absence of our regular correspondent, forced by travel difficulties to miss the game, I thought I'd give a little more depth to how I saw of the match.

Yes, I was gutted they equalised with the last kick, but I also enjoyed a decent game in which we played our full part, finally creating a number of decent chances, and giving the opposition problems.

Right from the off, we were in their faces and winning the ball in midfield, with probably our best line up so far this season, Cubero, Orlandi, O'Hara all on the pitch at the same time.

Jacobs was looking a real handful, and that paid dividends as O'Hara dinked a ball over the top and Jacobs used his pace to get away from the back line before steadying himself and rifling the ball past Amos. That was one of a number of chances we made in that first half, with a number of headers going over, while we also had a number of shots. Made a pleasant change to see most of the game at the other end of the pitch.

As usual, we had a mad five minutes when the defensive shape disappeared but Bolton were unable to capitalise and we went into the break deservedly in front.

At half time, a number of youths were removed following a flare incident when we scored. Both stewards and police seemed to enjoy the confrontational aspect of this, and were more than a bit heavy handed, particularly with the only one they removed over the age of 15, who objected to his treatment. Did it really need 9 to get him down and then out of the ground?

Second half, Bolton came out a bit more determined, but we were defending OK, and were looking dangerous on the break. As the game went on, we seemed to sit a little deeper, inviting them on, and Bannan missed an absolute sitter when the ball was squared back to him. It seemed that luck was finally going our way, and we even had a number of clear chances to make it safe when Clarke missed from a corner, blazing over from 6 yards, followed by a glorious chance for Cubero. Jacobs made all the running down the wing, cut in and squared it. We were queuing up to score at the back post, as Cubero checked round his man but put it over the bar from 8 yards.

We were left to rue that as the four minutes of injury time came and went, playing the wrong ball and losing possession when breaking from a corner.

Bolton played the ball back in, Bannan was allowed to run the full length of the area, passing in front of at least 6 of us before going to the byline. He crossed to the far post where Heskey headed it back across. Someone headed it towards goal where Gudjonnsen, stood on the goalline, added the final touch. He looked offside to me, but of course, it wasn't given.

We kicked off and the ref blew the whistle.

Gutted not to have won, but for once, we really looked like a team and played our full part in a proper game of football.

Clark has taken some stick over his team selections and tactics, but Saturday showed he can get the team playing, what's more playing with pride in the shirt and with a decent shape.

Obviously, we're down, but if we can keep the majority of that side, we'll do Ok next season and can finally start to turn a corner.

Far too soon to talk about green shoots etc, as we're still in dire straits and there are still the Oystons whoever is manager, but the club goes on. Maybe it's time to drop the antagonism towards Clark and support his team, albeit not forgetting what''s going on off the field.
Makes a welcome change on 20:52 - Apr 5 with 1288 viewsseasider13

Thanks for the report Wiz, so frustrating that we let them in with the last kick of the game, oh well, next season will be interesting.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

Makes a welcome change on 21:20 - Apr 5 with 1278 viewsOsbourne

Makes a welcome change on 20:52 - Apr 5 by seasider13

Thanks for the report Wiz, so frustrating that we let them in with the last kick of the game, oh well, next season will be interesting.

Yes,
It's thanks from Osbourne too.

The Bolton goal?

Can a Bolton player stand behind Lewis, over the dead ball line but in the goal and not be off side?

Osbourne suspects not, but Osbourne is not a referee. Peter Clarke was probably asking the referee this question at the conclusion of the game.

Should the Bolton goal of stood?

Anyone know the answer?
Makes a welcome change on 21:28 - Apr 5 with 1274 viewsWizaard

Makes a welcome change on 21:20 - Apr 5 by Osbourne

Yes,
It's thanks from Osbourne too.

The Bolton goal?

Can a Bolton player stand behind Lewis, over the dead ball line but in the goal and not be off side?

Osbourne suspects not, but Osbourne is not a referee. Peter Clarke was probably asking the referee this question at the conclusion of the game.

Should the Bolton goal of stood?

Anyone know the answer?

The player in the net wasn't offside but Gudjohnsen was ahead of Lewis and level with our player on the line. Only one player between him and the goal so offside imo.
Makes a welcome change on 21:33 - Apr 5 with 1270 viewsseasider13

I wasn't going to comment as I'm a tad biased but having watched it a few times now it defiantly looks offside to me,

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

Makes a welcome change on 22:40 - Apr 5 with 1248 viewswe_are_Superior

Makes a welcome change on 21:33 - Apr 5 by seasider13

I wasn't going to comment as I'm a tad biased but having watched it a few times now it defiantly looks offside to me,

Good assessment Wizz and refreshing to read about football rather than the owners - this imptovement in the last few games has coincided with the return of Lewis, O'Hara, Cubero and now Jacobs and a return to the bench for the kids. If we'd had more quality in earlier then things may have been different but similarly we need all the players I've just mentioned plus Orlandi and Madine and a new defence if we're to hit the ground running next season!

Poll: Would Richie Kyle make a good manager?

Makes a welcome change on 23:17 - Apr 5 with 1241 viewsBigbrother

Almost reassuring to read a football post again Wizz - going to be a long summer post-mortem and an interesting one for new signings but all the Oyston crap set to one side I am actually looking forward to playing a game which has some meaning to it in August!!

Poll: Who is King Rat in the Oyston Family

Makes a welcome change on 10:13 - Apr 6 with 1210 viewsHappy_Satsuma

Obviously, we're down, but if we can keep the majority of that side, we'll do Ok next season and can finally start to turn a corner.

There's the crucial line Wizz - as soon as I saw that side yesterday I knew we'd be in with a shout of getting something. For me I'd get rid of Perkins, Clarke and not sure on O'Dea - two good defenders, a right back and a decent striker alongside Madine and that isn't a bad League One side.

Poll: Riga - Stay or Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024