Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vegetarian restaurants 17:33 - Aug 12 with 7336 viewsCopperJack

Friend of mine coming down from the Smoke who has apparently turned veggie. Anyone know of any good vegetarian restaurants in Swansea?

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:37 - Aug 12 with 5037 viewsJackfath

I think Govindas is Vegetarian.

http://www.govindas.org.uk/
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186466-d3340080-Reviews-Govinda_
[Post edited 12 Aug 2015 17:38]

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:38 - Aug 12 with 5033 viewsphact0rri

This might be of help.

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php?lat=51.6202&lon=-3.95477&sortby=0&ra

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:44 - Aug 12 with 5015 viewsCopperJack

Marvellous! Thank you. Any cooking recommendations? Done some internet scouring and this looks like a snazzy looking meal - http://blog.procook.co.uk/recipe/pan-fried-gnocchi-and-mediterranean-vegetables/ gnocchi has been on my 'try list' for a while now.

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:48 - Aug 12 with 4995 viewsphact0rri

Is he/she vegan or vegetarian?

I mostly go with physical books. but I usually just do a google search if I'm looking for something that I don't have on hand. If your looking for simple easy to make stuffs. Pastas are always good, and its easy to make great salads.

If your looking more in depth, think more about things you may want to see if there's a vegan/vegetarian recipe for it.

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:55 - Aug 12 with 4983 viewsCopperJack

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:48 - Aug 12 by phact0rri

Is he/she vegan or vegetarian?

I mostly go with physical books. but I usually just do a google search if I'm looking for something that I don't have on hand. If your looking for simple easy to make stuffs. Pastas are always good, and its easy to make great salads.

If your looking more in depth, think more about things you may want to see if there's a vegan/vegetarian recipe for it.

Vegetarian. Apparently it's meant to be much healthier for you, but not sure I could do it. Have toyed with the idea of quorn before though, and like I said, liked the idea of the meal I pasted above.

That's a really good idea phact0rri, cheers!

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:18 - Aug 12 with 4953 viewsdarthbodde

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:37 - Aug 12 by Jackfath

I think Govindas is Vegetarian.

http://www.govindas.org.uk/
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186466-d3340080-Reviews-Govinda_
[Post edited 12 Aug 2015 17:38]

Govinda's is very good indeed, I'm not even veggie and I go there a lot.
Vegetarian restaurants on 18:27 - Aug 12 with 4945 viewslondonlisa2001

Al Indian restaurants are excellent choices for vegetarians as a large number of Hindus are vegetarian for religious reasons.

Although some restaurants have become very Anglicised (with the chicken tikka equivalents) most will still do excellent veggie options (and vegan for that matter).

Particularly South Indian restaurants if there is one in Swansea? Not sure. Anyway - all will be good. I love Rose Indienne for veggie food and the non veggies have a great choice as well.
Vegetarian restaurants on 18:39 - Aug 12 with 4910 viewsphact0rri

Yeah looking at Indian restaurants are a good idea. I lived in this small town in the US for a while and the only place I could eat was this Indian restaurant. Granted it was ran by this lovely married couple who taught me a lot about Buddhism so it wasn't all bad and I made some good friends.

Though if vegetarian, its not all that difficult to just remove meat, and most places can sort you. Though just to have some fun to try some new stuff might be fun. The trick really for vegetarian when eating Indian is making sure there's not a "meat base" which in Indian food is more common to be fish than chicken or beef as far as I know.

Login to get fewer ads

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:49 - Aug 12 with 4898 viewslondonlisa2001

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:39 - Aug 12 by phact0rri

Yeah looking at Indian restaurants are a good idea. I lived in this small town in the US for a while and the only place I could eat was this Indian restaurant. Granted it was ran by this lovely married couple who taught me a lot about Buddhism so it wasn't all bad and I made some good friends.

Though if vegetarian, its not all that difficult to just remove meat, and most places can sort you. Though just to have some fun to try some new stuff might be fun. The trick really for vegetarian when eating Indian is making sure there's not a "meat base" which in Indian food is more common to be fish than chicken or beef as far as I know.

There won't be a meat base (or fish) used in an Indian restaurant owned by Indians (rather than Bangladeshis) because of the religious issues.

Italian is always a good option as well, as many pasta dishes are not made with meat. Unless specified though, things like parmesan cheese may not be veggie (due to the rennet used) - depends how strict the person is (a lot ignore things like that, and also don't bother with the whole concept of vegetarian wine etc).
Vegetarian restaurants on 18:54 - Aug 12 with 4894 viewsJackfath

I bet they wear leather shoes and pay (if they don't expect you to) out of a leather wallet.

HYPOCRITES.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:56 - Aug 12 with 4892 viewslondonlisa2001

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:54 - Aug 12 by Jackfath

I bet they wear leather shoes and pay (if they don't expect you to) out of a leather wallet.

HYPOCRITES.

Hypocrites if they're vegan but not if they're vegetarian.

Completely different things.
Vegetarian restaurants on 19:02 - Aug 12 with 4880 viewsJackfath

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:56 - Aug 12 by londonlisa2001

Hypocrites if they're vegan but not if they're vegetarian.

Completely different things.

Oh, I didn't realise.

Vegetarian restaurants on 19:04 - Aug 12 with 4878 viewslondonlisa2001

Vegetarian restaurants on 19:02 - Aug 12 by Jackfath

Oh, I didn't realise.

Always glad to be of help Jackfath.

On the subject of dietary issues, did you get tested for coeliac disease?
Vegetarian restaurants on 19:10 - Aug 12 with 4867 viewsstevethejack

Garuda (Indonesian) on St Helen's Road. Although not a vegetarian restaurant they do a lot of vegetarian dishes, and it's BYO wine or beer.

http://www.garudarestaurant.co.uk/
Vegetarian restaurants on 19:14 - Aug 12 with 4860 viewsphact0rri

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:49 - Aug 12 by londonlisa2001

There won't be a meat base (or fish) used in an Indian restaurant owned by Indians (rather than Bangladeshis) because of the religious issues.

Italian is always a good option as well, as many pasta dishes are not made with meat. Unless specified though, things like parmesan cheese may not be veggie (due to the rennet used) - depends how strict the person is (a lot ignore things like that, and also don't bother with the whole concept of vegetarian wine etc).

well to be fair there are more than one Indian religion actually a whole set of Dharmic faiths (primarily Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism though) and they each have different dietary constraints, and most of them can be opted out in exchange for other things. I find it a bit better to check and ask. Though I personally do that everywhere, I get sick if I eat the wrong stuffs.

Vegetarian restaurants on 19:27 - Aug 12 with 4849 viewslondonlisa2001

Vegetarian restaurants on 19:14 - Aug 12 by phact0rri

well to be fair there are more than one Indian religion actually a whole set of Dharmic faiths (primarily Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism though) and they each have different dietary constraints, and most of them can be opted out in exchange for other things. I find it a bit better to check and ask. Though I personally do that everywhere, I get sick if I eat the wrong stuffs.

Yes - I should have said Hinduism really, although Jains don't either I don't think and Sikhs can't eat meat in an Indian restaurant as they are not allowed Halal meat.
Vegetarian restaurants on 19:33 - Aug 12 with 4844 viewsSwanzay

Er indoors is a vegan, its a real pain trying to find a decent restaurant that accommodates both requirements.
If found 2 so far in Bristol that are excellent independent restaurants, 1 Lebanese and one Turkish, where I can have a superb steak etc and she can have a decent selection.
Vegetarian restaurants on 19:40 - Aug 12 with 4833 viewslondonlisa2001

Vegetarian restaurants on 19:33 - Aug 12 by Swanzay

Er indoors is a vegan, its a real pain trying to find a decent restaurant that accommodates both requirements.
If found 2 so far in Bristol that are excellent independent restaurants, 1 Lebanese and one Turkish, where I can have a superb steak etc and she can have a decent selection.

Good point- Lebanese / Turkish / Moroccan / Iranian etc etc are really good shouts as they have loads of veggie options particularly mezze selections and good veggie stews / tagines.
Vegetarian restaurants on 19:48 - Aug 12 with 4822 viewsphact0rri

I think eating vegan around pembs, (Im from Haverfordwest) and that haven't been a tough ask with some creativity Walnut Cafe I remember as being great, they are vegan and they do gluten free foods (my girlfriend has IBS). I am curious since we've gone Non-GMO if it'll be as easy, next time I have the trip back home.

Vegetarian restaurants on 20:26 - Aug 12 with 4794 viewsPegojack

Try this one, boy, it's easy and will impress - Penne Al'Arrabiata

Heat three tablespoons olive oil in saucepan. Add finely chopped onion, two cloves crushed garlic and finely chopped red chili OR teaspoon chili flakes. Obviously the last ingredient controls the heat of the dish, use more or less according to taste. Stir and sweat the ingredients until soft, add can of chopped tomatoes, small carton of tomato passata (in Aldi), tablespoon balsamic vinegar, good squirt tomato ketchup. Shake of salt and pepper, bring to boil and simmer for about 40 minutes until sauce is reduced by a third, stirring now and again.
20 minutes before end, put dried penne pasta in boiling water in separate pan and cook until al dente. Drain pasta when ready, return to the hot pan, pour the sauce over and give a quick stir to coat all the pasta. Serve up with lashings of grated parmesan to sprinkle over.
For non veges, this dish is even better if you stir in to the tomato sauce a good portion of pepperoni slices twenty minutes before the end, about the same time you put the pasta on to cook.
Serve with a bottle of Montepulciano d'Abbruzzo. Your guest will think you're the new Jamie Oliver.
Vegetarian restaurants on 22:29 - Aug 12 with 4715 viewsjackb

What are they? My er indoors is vegan too, would be worth checking them out as we live in brizzle
Vegetarian restaurants on 23:16 - Aug 12 with 4685 viewsSwanseajill

Vegetarian restaurants on 17:44 - Aug 12 by CopperJack

Marvellous! Thank you. Any cooking recommendations? Done some internet scouring and this looks like a snazzy looking meal - http://blog.procook.co.uk/recipe/pan-fried-gnocchi-and-mediterranean-vegetables/ gnocchi has been on my 'try list' for a while now.

My daughter in law is a veggie, over the years the favourite dish I make her is parsnip burgers.

Two /three parsnips boiled.
Four medium potatoes boiled
One large onion chopped and lightly fried
Fresh chopped parsley
One egg whisked
Purchased breadcrumbs.
Seasoning.

Mash together parsnips, potatoes and onions. shape into burgers.
Dip them into the egg, then cover with breadcrumbs and fry gently.
Great wrapped in cling film and Tupperware, and freezes well.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2015 23:19]
Vegetarian restaurants on 23:24 - Aug 12 with 4671 viewsSwanseajill

Vegetarian restaurants on 23:16 - Aug 12 by Swanseajill

My daughter in law is a veggie, over the years the favourite dish I make her is parsnip burgers.

Two /three parsnips boiled.
Four medium potatoes boiled
One large onion chopped and lightly fried
Fresh chopped parsley
One egg whisked
Purchased breadcrumbs.
Seasoning.

Mash together parsnips, potatoes and onions. shape into burgers.
Dip them into the egg, then cover with breadcrumbs and fry gently.
Great wrapped in cling film and Tupperware, and freezes well.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2015 23:19]

Just to add to the above recipe ( I'm unable to edit for some reason)

I usually serve these with salad, or veg and roasties.
Vegetarian restaurants on 08:23 - Aug 13 with 4587 viewsphact0rri

Vegetarian restaurants on 23:24 - Aug 12 by Swanseajill

Just to add to the above recipe ( I'm unable to edit for some reason)

I usually serve these with salad, or veg and roasties.

Is the egg for taste or a binder I wonder... seems like for taste where in I could make a thick tofu puree to make it 100% plant based me thinks...
[Post edited 13 Aug 2015 8:23]

Vegetarian restaurants on 09:00 - Aug 13 with 4564 viewswaynekerr55

Vegetarian restaurants on 18:54 - Aug 12 by Jackfath

HYPOCRITES.

LIAR
CHARLATAN

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024