Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done bundesliga fans 19:54 - Aug 31 with 11172 viewsSwanzay

German football fans welcome refugees and invite hundreds to watch match

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11834636/German-football-fans-welcome-
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 19:56]
Well done bundesliga fans on 20:51 - Sep 2 with 1486 viewsperchrockjack

Lefties like clasie always take the higher moral ground mainly because they believe they and only they have any humanity.

Why do not these refugees head for Muslim countries that surround them.

It's a fair point.

How many Russia taking

It's always the west fault.

We are filth for even doubting those who want our country to accept anyone

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Well done bundesliga fans on 20:57 - Sep 2 with 1469 viewsskippyjack

Well done bundesliga fans on 20:37 - Sep 2 by exiledclaseboy

And there you go. Can't help the insults.

i'm not insulting.. more like head shaking..

illegals are in and around Europe with..

forged documents/fake identities
fake addresses
paperwork for 'properties' that don't exist
National Insurance numbers
money laundering
racketeering
prostitution
trafficking

people think crime rates have reduced! it's f*cking increased!.. the govt have got tabs on every 'illegal' that enters Europe.. double the 'legal' immigration statistics..

The Mafia
The Govt
The Immigrants
Companies
Billionaires
Bankers
Oil Barons

they all know it and conspiring .. f*ck knows how they're going to control it..

This WORLD IS F*CKED!..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Well done bundesliga fans on 20:58 - Sep 2 with 1463 viewsexiledclaseboy

Well done bundesliga fans on 20:51 - Sep 2 by perchrockjack

Lefties like clasie always take the higher moral ground mainly because they believe they and only they have any humanity.

It's a fair point.

How many Russia taking

Straw man again. Not claimed to be the only one with humanity or taken any kind of moral high ground. Yet you jump in again to have a pop at me because you can't help yourself. You pathetic, bitter old fool.

Why don't they head for the countries around them? If you'd bothered to read the thread you'd have seen that most of them have. Lebanon, for example, has taken more than one million Syrian refugees.

Poll: Tory leader

Well done bundesliga fans on 21:01 - Sep 2 with 1454 viewsskippyjack

It's a fair point.

How many Russia taking

You see the European Union.. it's 'rich'. the refugees head for Europe because they 'pay' certain people in 'high' places to sort them out in Europe..

it's a business proposition..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Well done bundesliga fans on 21:09 - Sep 2 with 1447 viewsPozuelosSideys

Well done bundesliga fans on 20:06 - Sep 2 by exiledclaseboy

I completely agree that they should be assessed individually. Again, I and from what I can see no none else has suggested a free for all.

As soon as they hit the Mainland, Schengen means they can disappear anywhere without assessment right? Those who are genuine will jump through the hoops, the ones who arent become illegals. Therein is the issue.

Its a horrible problem to deal with and im not sure how the authorities will.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Well done bundesliga fans on 22:29 - Sep 2 with 1392 viewsPrivate_Partz

Well done bundesliga fans on 18:53 - Sep 1 by lovejuicejack

Here is some hard facts not media propaganda to cover up the government and banks causing the economic problems. Perch I'll let you off this one as I know you can't read.
When you’re facing the world’s biggest refugee crisis since the second world war, it helps to have a sober debate about how to respond. But to do that, you need facts and data — two things that the British migration debate has lacked this summer. Theresa May got the ball rolling in May, when she claimed on Radio 4 that the vast majority of migrants to Europe are Africans travelling for economic reasons. The media has followed suit, one example being the Daily Mail’s unsubstantiated recent assertion that seven in 10 migrants at Calais will reach the UK.

Foreign secretary Philip Hammond this week not only repeated May’s claims about African economic migrants, but portrayed them as marauders who would soon hasten the collapse of European civilisation. Hammond, like many people, could do with some actual statistics about the migration crisis. Here are 10 of the key ones:

62%
Far from being propelled by economic migrants, this crisis is mostly about refugees. The assumption by the likes of Hammond, May and others is that the majority of those trying to reach Europe are fleeing poverty, which is not considered by the international community as a good enough reason to move to another country. Whereas in fact, by the end of July, 62% of those who had reached Europe by boat this year were from Syria, Eritrea and Afghanistan, according to figures compiled by the UN. These are countries torn apart by war, dictatorial oppression, and religious extremism — and, in Syria’s case, all three. Their citizens almost always have the legal right to refuge in Europe. And if you add to the mix those coming from Darfur, Iraq, Somalia, and some parts of Nigeria — then the total proportion of migrants likely to qualify for asylum rises to well over 70%.

1%
If you read the British press, you’d think that Calais was the major battleground of the European migrant crisis, and that Britain was the holy grail of its protagonists. In reality, the migrants at Calais account for as little as 1% of those who have arrived in Europe so far this year. Estimates suggest that between 2,000-5,000 migrants have reached Calais, which is between 1% and 2.5% of the more than 200,000 who have landed in Italy and Greece. Just as importantly, there is no evidence to suggest that as many as seven in 10 have reached Britain after arriving in Calais. The Daily Mail admitted this several paragraphs into its article.

0.027%
Hammond said that the migrants would speed the collapse of the European social order. In reality, the number of migrants to have arrived so far this year (200,000) is so minuscule that it constitutes just 0.027% of Europe’s total population of 740 million. The world’s wealthiest continent can easily handle such a comparatively small influx.

A young Syrian refugee in the Greek island of Kos.
A young Syrian refugee in the Greek island of Kos. Photograph: YANNIS BEHRAKIS/REUTERS
1.2 million
There are countries with social infrastructure at breaking point because of the refugee crisis — but they aren’t in Europe. The most obvious example is Lebanon, which houses 1.2 million Syrian refugees within a total population of roughly 4.5 million. To put that in context, a country that is more than 100 times smaller than the EU has already taken in more than 50 times as many refugees as the EU will even consider resettling in the future. Lebanon has a refugee crisis. Europe — and, in particular, Britain — does not.

Migration crisis quiz: can you separate fact from fiction?
Read more
£36.95
Many claim that Britain is a coveted destination for migrants because of its generous benefits system. Aside from the reality that most migrants have little prior knowledge of the exact nature of each European country’s asylum system, it is not true that the UK is particularly beneficent. Each asylum seeker in Britain gets a meagre £36.95 to live on (and they are not usually allowed to work to supplement this sum). In France, whose policies are supposedly driving up the numbers at Calais, migrants actually receive substantially more. According to the Asylum Information Database, asylum seekers in France receive up to £56.62 a week. Germany and Sweden — the two most popular migrant destinations — pay out £35.21 and £36.84 a week respectively, only fractionally less than Britain.

50%
In the dog-whistle rhetoric of Hammond and Theresa May, the archetypal contemporary migrant in Europe is from Africa. But again, that’s not true. This year, according to UN figures, 50% alone are from two non-African countries: Syria (38%) and Afghanistan (12%). When migrants from Pakistan, Iraq and Iran are added into the equation, it becomes clear that the number of African migrants is significantly less than half. Even so, as discussed above, many of them — especially those from Eritrea, Darfur, and Somalia — have legitimate claims to refugee status.

Royal Marines with migrants rescued off the Libyan coast in June.
Royal Marines with migrants rescued off the Libyan coast in June. Photograph: Rowan Griffiths/Daily Mirror/PA
4%
Last autumn, the EU opted to suspend full-scale maritime rescue operations in the Mediterranean in the belief that their presence was encouraging more migrants to risk the sea journey from Libya to Europe. In reality, people kept on coming. In fact, there was a 4% year-on-year increase during the months that the rescue missions were on hiatus. Over 27,800 tried the journey in 2015, or died in the attempt, until operations were reinstated in May, according to figures from the International Organisation for Migration. Only 26,740 tried it in 2014. The disparity suggests that migrants were either unaware of the rescue operations in the first place, or simply unbothered by their suspension — a thesis borne out by my own interviews. “I don’t think that even if they decided to bomb migrant boats it would change peoples’ decision to go,” said Abu Jana, a Syrian I met as he was planning to make the sea voyage earlier this year.

Swarms, floods and marauders: the toxic metaphors of the migration debate
David Shariatmadari
Read more
Contrary to the perception of the UK as the high altar of immigration, it is not a particularly major magnet for refugees. In 2014, just 25,870 people sought asylum in the UK, and only 10,050 were accepted. Germany (97275), France (68500), Sweden (39,905) and Italy (35,180) were all far more affected. When the ratings are calculated as a proportion to population size, the UK slips even further down the table — behind Belgium, Holland and Austria. If the ratings were calculated on 2015 rates, then even impoverished Greece would rise above the UK in the table. Just as tellingly, the UK has welcomed just 187 Syrians through legal mechanisms at the last count. Turkey has around 1.6 million.

€11bn
Hammond and David Cameron argue that the solution to migration is to increase deportations. They believe this will save Britain money, as less cash will be spent on paying each asylum seeker £36.95 per week. However, this strategy ignores the cost of deportations — whose alleged financial cost could rival that of the asylum seekers’ benefits bill. According to a series of investigations by the website The Migrant Files, as many as €11bn have been spent on repatriating migrants to their countries of origin since 2000. A further billion has been blown on Europe-wide coordination efforts to secure European borders — money that could have been spent on integrating migrants into European society.

Despite the hysteria, the number of refugees in the UK has actually fallen by 76,439 since 2011. That’s according to Britain’s Refugee Council, which crunched the numbers gleaned from UN data and found that the number of refugees in the UK fell from 193,600 to 117,161 in the past four years. By comparison, the proportion of refugees housed by developing countries in the past 10 years has risen, according to the UN, from 70% to 86%. Britain could be doing far more.

I thought it may be a good idea to bump this post up again to help Perch and Skippy. Call the stats crap if you like guys but at least say why it is and provide your evidence to the contrary.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Well done bundesliga fans on 00:28 - Sep 3 with 1354 viewsGlyn1

Well done bundesliga fans on 20:02 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

It may have helped the 10 kids situation of course if we hadn't been so keen on imposing our Western religion on large swathes of Africa. They wouldn't then be subjected to so many instructions that contraception is a bad thing and will cause them to go to hell.

" Many with iphones, pairs of Nike Airmax and spending "hundreds of euros on train tickets to cross europe" - BBC quoted - sound like people in genuine need of help?"

But what has that got to do with people fleeing for their lives? No doubt there's a lot of middle class people in those camps - medical personnel, architects, etc - who were living a comfortable life a few years ago and are now refugees. The fact that they're using up their savings to get their families out of a warzone shouldn't be used against them.

EDIT: I was replying to another post entirely - definitely time to sign off.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2015 0:29]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Well done bundesliga fans on 00:30 - Sep 3 with 1349 viewsNookiejack

Does anyone have any stats on what is a realistic sustainable population for the UK - verses projected peak population over next 10/20 years with people living 10% longer and net immigration of 300k per year?
Login to get fewer ads

Well done bundesliga fans on 02:45 - Sep 3 with 1322 viewsAJ101

Well done bundesliga fans on 00:30 - Sep 3 by Nookiejack

Does anyone have any stats on what is a realistic sustainable population for the UK - verses projected peak population over next 10/20 years with people living 10% longer and net immigration of 300k per year?

What's your definition of sustainable? In terms of population density Japan as an Island with similar geography in terms of mountains etc has ~337 people per km2 compared to the UK's 255 people per km2 which if extrapolated to the UK would be ~85m people.

There are similar economy countries to ours with much higher population densities than that the most obvious example being Holland with over 400 people per km2 but then their land is due to its flat nature much more easy to build on overall compared to the UK or Japan.

In terms of sustainability in my opinion is just a question of jobs for those people, London may seem crowded but it's only this year it's got back to its pre WWII population peak and no cities in the UK are very densely populated compared to foreign ones in countries with similar sized economies due to very little historic use of high rise residences, sure there were plenty of tower blocks put up in the 60's but they made up a small proportion of the housing stock and many have been or are being knocked down due to the social issues.

It does take some planning to provide facilities for an increase in population size though and well I wouldn't let any politician (local or national) plan a piss up in a brewery if I'm honest.
Well done bundesliga fans on 07:32 - Sep 3 with 1294 viewsPrivate_Partz

Well done bundesliga fans on 02:45 - Sep 3 by AJ101

What's your definition of sustainable? In terms of population density Japan as an Island with similar geography in terms of mountains etc has ~337 people per km2 compared to the UK's 255 people per km2 which if extrapolated to the UK would be ~85m people.

There are similar economy countries to ours with much higher population densities than that the most obvious example being Holland with over 400 people per km2 but then their land is due to its flat nature much more easy to build on overall compared to the UK or Japan.

In terms of sustainability in my opinion is just a question of jobs for those people, London may seem crowded but it's only this year it's got back to its pre WWII population peak and no cities in the UK are very densely populated compared to foreign ones in countries with similar sized economies due to very little historic use of high rise residences, sure there were plenty of tower blocks put up in the 60's but they made up a small proportion of the housing stock and many have been or are being knocked down due to the social issues.

It does take some planning to provide facilities for an increase in population size though and well I wouldn't let any politician (local or national) plan a piss up in a brewery if I'm honest.

Good points and Nookie makes a good point as well. It was why I say we must deal with it as a Europe wide operation and cajole, encourage demand the rest of the civilised world join in. This is only short term however. The task of addressing the problems in these countries is long term and urgent. Most would want to return home if they could live in a safe peaceful environment.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:13 - Sep 3 with 1274 viewsperchrockjack

pp

I don't need your help thanks but perhaps you could answer my question which is basically why islamist countries are not those they are getting into.

Its a fair question and all the statisticalt shite in the world doesn't change that.

Stats and refugees seems to be rather a skewed thing.

Sorry , but not sure thousands of refugees will help us in this country.

We do want to help ourselves don't we?

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:20 - Sep 3 with 1272 viewsNookiejack

I just took a look at UK population projections from attached Guardian article. It appears we are forecast to increase to 73m although could go up to 78m. So starting to close gap with Japan with regards to population density.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/nov/06/uk-population.-increase-bir

It seems a lot of people.

With regards to sustainability was thinking along the lines of can we produce enough energy and food for ourselves if had some sort of World crisis.
Well done bundesliga fans on 09:23 - Sep 3 with 1268 viewsyescomeon

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:20 - Sep 3 by Nookiejack

I just took a look at UK population projections from attached Guardian article. It appears we are forecast to increase to 73m although could go up to 78m. So starting to close gap with Japan with regards to population density.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/nov/06/uk-population.-increase-bir

It seems a lot of people.

With regards to sustainability was thinking along the lines of can we produce enough energy and food for ourselves if had some sort of World crisis.

Energy is an interesting one as we don't produce enough energy for our population now, we could, but we don't.

Upthecity!

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:26 - Sep 3 with 1263 viewsperchrockjack

It s all too easy to opine about refugees when they are many miles away.

IF 10000 turned up and started marching up Carmarthen Rd, somehow I think people would be posting differently.

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:35 - Sep 3 with 1261 viewsNookiejack

I just took a look at UK population projections from attached Guardian article. It appears we are forecast to increase to 73m although could be between 68m and 78m.

It seems a lot of people as I think we were at 59m in 2000.

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:39 - Sep 3 with 1253 viewsperchrockjack

Parts of the UK are densely populated, some utterly sparse. Its averaged out which is why stats are misleading.

I d suggest northern Sweden ,Finland, Belarus, and Russia ,of course could take them all and they would hardly be noticed so vast are those lands.

How many Russia taking?

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:56 - Sep 3 with 1247 viewsNookiejack

I think this appeared to be quite a balanced article today - arguing that UK has had a better record with regards to taking in refugees.

Then from an economic migrant perspective UK has taken in large numbers since 2000 compared to Germany. Also that as Germany faces a declining population - really needs immigration. On current trends UK population could exceed Germany over next 20-30 years.

I think he makes a point at the end of the article which many people will agree with.

'The trouble is too many years of uncontrolled immigration - and the inability of politicians of all parties to curtail it - have disenchanted many people and have left them anxious about migrants of every shape and size'

In other times the Syrian refugees would gladly have been welcomed into the UK - but the Syrian crisis had coincided with large movement of economic migrants.
Well done bundesliga fans on 09:58 - Sep 3 with 1245 viewsNookiejack

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:56 - Sep 3 by Nookiejack

I think this appeared to be quite a balanced article today - arguing that UK has had a better record with regards to taking in refugees.

Then from an economic migrant perspective UK has taken in large numbers since 2000 compared to Germany. Also that as Germany faces a declining population - really needs immigration. On current trends UK population could exceed Germany over next 20-30 years.

I think he makes a point at the end of the article which many people will agree with.

'The trouble is too many years of uncontrolled immigration - and the inability of politicians of all parties to curtail it - have disenchanted many people and have left them anxious about migrants of every shape and size'

In other times the Syrian refugees would gladly have been welcomed into the UK - but the Syrian crisis had coincided with large movement of economic migrants.

Article attached

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3220404/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Germany-lecture
Well done bundesliga fans on 09:59 - Sep 3 with 1242 viewsDarran

Well done bundesliga fans on 09:58 - Sep 3 by Nookiejack

Article attached

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3220404/STEPHEN-GLOVER-Germany-lecture

It's not true if it's in the Mail.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Well done bundesliga fans on 10:04 - Sep 3 with 1239 viewsperchrockjack

Its also the case migrants/refugees head westwards not east . There is a reason for that.

On an world atlas we are almost invisible in comparison.

Refugees we ve taken for the likes of Uganda where there was a real cause to escape.

Well done bundesliga fans on 10:29 - Sep 3 with 1227 viewsNookiejack

An article from BBC discussing why rich Gulf Arab states don't appear to be taking many Syrian refugees.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34132308

It contains positive praise from Muslims about Europes stance.

As discussed earlier in this thread - please don't confuse rich Gulf states policy with Lebanon's stance 1.2m refugees (and they only have a population of 4m) Turkey 1.8m and Jordan 0.6m refugees.
Well done bundesliga fans on 10:54 - Sep 3 with 1220 viewsyescomeon

Well done bundesliga fans on 00:30 - Sep 3 by Nookiejack

Net migration has only once (possibly/probably ever) is the data I am looking at exceeded 300k and that was 2014, where it was 318k (those 18k people should not be ignored as it is a considerable amount of people but the government would no doubt be delighted if the net figure was 18k). It's been <100k for 7 of the last 24 years (all prior to 1998) >100k<200k for 7 of the last 24 years (1998-2003 & 2012) and >200k<300k for 8 of the last 24 years (2004-2013 excluding 2012). The point here is they are up and down, mostly up, but not 300k a year. It will be interesting to see the 2015 figure to see if the governments policy of ruining the country will deter the migrants. There a big jumps in 1997-1998 and 2003-2004, 48k-148k and 185k-268k respectively, after these jump the figure remained reasonably constant for a number of years after. There was a king of overall downward trend from from 2007-2012 (273k-177k) but in the two following years there was an almost exponential increase. Will be interesting to see whether it plateaus around 300k+ or if it dips again.

Had look to see what coincided with the jumps, the free movement in the EU has been about since its formation in 1992 [1], the there were a large number of ascensions to the EU in 2004 [2] and in 2007 Bulgaria and Romania ascended [2], for the latter 2 events there was a jump in net EU migrants 9k-87k and 104k-127k respectively, the first is significant the later less so. The breakdowns are averaged for the time of the first event but there was increases in net 1992-1993 and 1993-1994 which may be to do with the new EU citizens but the figures suggest net migration was more from elsewhere. Apart from 2007, 2012, 2013 & 2014 the EU figure have always been lower than the commonwealth figures, often considerably so. Net migration from outside of EU and the Commonwealth seems to have consistently been about a quarter of net.

What is interesting is that since the coalition camp to power commonwealth net as consistently decreased whilst EU net has consistently increased. I wonder what the reason for this is?

The reasons for staying recently are approximately: ~25% definate job, ~15% looking for work, ~15% accompanying, ~35% formal study, ~10% other. The majority of people migrating are students, who arguably shouldn't be included in the figures, reducing them by ~35%. Also, long term migrants are in these statistics counted as people moving to the UK for at least 1 year. About 45% of migrants stay between 1-2 years about 20% 3-4 years, ~25% 4+, the rest not sure. You could there for say that ~65% are not even fully moving over here.

There is a lot of scaremongering going on with immigration. Of course 300k a year permanently moving to the UK is not sustainable in any way shape or form, but that is not what is going on. The mean for the last 11 years is 245k 28.2% (10 year mean of 4+) of those, 69k, intended to stay for more than 4 years. It is still a large number but nowhere near 300k.

Another thing which seems to emerge looking at the stats is that even if you think the numbers were too high or not, Labour seemed to have managed to keep "control" of immigration better than the coalition. There was an initial jump which might be considered "ideological", there was a second jump in 2004, possibly due to the ascension of a large number of countries to the EU, but after these jumps the figures remained very consistent. Whereas the coalition wanted reduce immigration they were successful up until 2012, where they seem to have lost control of immigration, I wonder if their reasons may be economical?

source: http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/long-term-international-migra

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_for_workers_in_the_European_Un

[2] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

Upthecity!

Well done bundesliga fans on 11:08 - Sep 3 with 1216 viewsJackSomething

It's a fair point.

How many Russia taking

Actually, forget it, it's not worth it.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2015 11:10]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Well done bundesliga fans on 11:15 - Sep 3 with 1206 viewsDarran

Well done bundesliga fans on 11:08 - Sep 3 by JackSomething

Actually, forget it, it's not worth it.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2015 11:10]

Praise the Lord it's only taken you several years to realise that.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Well done bundesliga fans on 12:10 - Sep 3 with 1181 viewsperchrockjack

There s a smiley just awaiting out there

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024