Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic 18:54 - Jan 26 with 4734 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Some images taken from the Wellcome library of medical procedures manual from the 19th Century...

And all WITHOUT anaesthetics so the patient is conscious and feels all the pain! A collection of these has been put together by Richard Barnett for his book 'Crucial Interventions'. The birth of modern medicine is pretty fascinating as well as horrific.

Eye Surgery

Finger amputation

Here's a jaw reconstruction

The first phase of an arm amputation

Foot amputation

Gall stone and obstruction removal

Leg amputation

Birth intervention or circumcision

Removal of a tumour from the tongue
[Post edited 26 Jan 2016 19:22]

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:25 - Jan 26 with 4677 viewsmorningstar

Congratulations! Youv'e just provided Loyal with some great w*nking material!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:33 - Jan 26 with 4664 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:25 - Jan 26 by morningstar

Congratulations! Youv'e just provided Loyal with some great w*nking material!

Oh.....

my bad!

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:48 - Jan 26 with 4637 viewsmorningstar

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:33 - Jan 26 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Oh.....

my bad!

I found it very interesting though. In a horrific sense of course.

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:55 - Jan 26 with 4622 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:48 - Jan 26 by morningstar

I found it very interesting though. In a horrific sense of course.

It's crazy the pain these people had to go through, yet it was all necessary and done in the only way possible based on the knowledge available. Birth of modern medicine!

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 20:03 - Jan 26 with 4603 viewsmorningstar

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 19:55 - Jan 26 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

It's crazy the pain these people had to go through, yet it was all necessary and done in the only way possible based on the knowledge available. Birth of modern medicine!

We don't know how lucky we are to live in modern times. But I actually find it quite amazing that they could identify some of these medical problems without the benefit of x-rays!

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 20:07 - Jan 26 with 4597 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 20:03 - Jan 26 by morningstar

We don't know how lucky we are to live in modern times. But I actually find it quite amazing that they could identify some of these medical problems without the benefit of x-rays!

Unfortunately it was trial and error. Some died while others survived. Techniques were improved based on survival percentages.

Even basic procedures we take for granted today was dicing with death in the 19th Century.

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 20:18 - Jan 26 with 4582 viewsmorningstar

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 20:07 - Jan 26 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

Unfortunately it was trial and error. Some died while others survived. Techniques were improved based on survival percentages.

Even basic procedures we take for granted today was dicing with death in the 19th Century.

I sure as hell wouldn't have liked to have been the first person to be diagnosed with gallstones that's for sure! Though without getting to deep, it really makes you wonder how the human race made it this far considering our limited reproductive capabilities and fragility!

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:18 - Jan 26 with 4544 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 20:18 - Jan 26 by morningstar

I sure as hell wouldn't have liked to have been the first person to be diagnosed with gallstones that's for sure! Though without getting to deep, it really makes you wonder how the human race made it this far considering our limited reproductive capabilities and fragility!

We're surprisingly not as fragile as you think. Lose a leg, we carry on and adjust to this change. Lose an eye, we just use the one. Become blind, we adapt and use our other senses.

We're the product of millions of years of evolution. We're not perfect - far from it, but we're far from weak and easily broken.

Login to get fewer ads

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:21 - Jan 26 with 4537 viewsSwanjaxs

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:18 - Jan 26 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

We're surprisingly not as fragile as you think. Lose a leg, we carry on and adjust to this change. Lose an eye, we just use the one. Become blind, we adapt and use our other senses.

We're the product of millions of years of evolution. We're not perfect - far from it, but we're far from weak and easily broken.

Exactly mate.... but lose a game and we all go into meltdown. ..😂

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:24 - Jan 26 with 4528 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:21 - Jan 26 by Swanjaxs

Exactly mate.... but lose a game and we all go into meltdown. ..😂

Whoah, whoah, whoah...!

We've not evolved far enough for that yet mate!

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:24 - Jan 26 with 4527 viewsdickythorpe

That jaw reconstruction diagram is very graphic and close to how they were thinking of cutting a tumour out of a mate of mine.
Fortunately, and after he had stopped wailing the oncologist said, " we haven't had your results yet and probably would try radiotherapy first"
Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:28 - Jan 26 with 4525 viewsphact0rri

good finds! I actually am writing a novel in the 1920's in the USA and some of the crazy cancer treatments back then!

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:33 - Jan 26 with 4515 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Medical procedures in the 19th Century - Lucky we live in 21st Century! *Graphic on 21:28 - Jan 26 by phact0rri

good finds! I actually am writing a novel in the 1920's in the USA and some of the crazy cancer treatments back then!

some treatments may even have been worse than those listed above.

My eyes watered after nose surgery; when sliding huge plastic bits and tampon like padding out of my nose and a minute of not being able to breathe properly due to the blood going down my throat. Would I handle having reconstruction on my jaw in the 19th Century??.... Have no idea - glad I don't have to either.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024