Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal 15:21 - Apr 10 with 3984 views1973scott

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/dec/06/investors-premier-league-cl

Discuss!
Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 16:55 - Apr 10 with 3863 viewsPrivate_Partz

A lot of that I am not sure about as I don't understand it. The statement that ' it is hard not to make money in the Premier League' baffles me though as I thought the majority of the increases will eventually go on wages.
The writer is also talking about cases with partial investment of around 25% in general. We are talking here about 75% which is a takeover with our Chairman becoming an employee in the new regime.
To me it seems folly to buy a club unless you do it for fun and have zillions in the bank. The only other way is to buy a club on the cheap and then sell it on to the bored mega rich with the money to burn at a massive profit.
This would seem the best scenario for us even though I am not that keen on becoming a Man City or Chelsea. Makes life too easy and therfore achievements carry less merit IMHO. Still it would be an outstanding marketing vehicle for the Swansea Bay Region.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 16:58 - Apr 10 with 3842 viewsairedale

Yeah, but wouldn't be a more attractive proposition to buy a more glamourous club, in a more glamourous place that lil ol Swansea?
Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 17:05 - Apr 10 with 3817 viewsDavillin

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 16:58 - Apr 10 by airedale

Yeah, but wouldn't be a more attractive proposition to buy a more glamourous club, in a more glamourous place that lil ol Swansea?

Perhaps you miss the point. Swansea are closer to debt-free than virtually all other P.L. clubs.

Your question would have more weight if we were talking about a mom-and-pop store on some Swansea side street.

With Swansea City football club, we are talking hundreds of million pounds. Literally.

Think like an "investor."

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 17:16 - Apr 10 with 3775 viewsPrivate_Partz

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 16:58 - Apr 10 by airedale

Well money is the only thing that makes places like Liverpool and Manchester glamorous. Swansea is far sexier. With money behind us and a fully expanded stadium and infastructure then we could be a very attractive proposition. We would also cost considerably less than say a London club.
I am only being the devil's thingy. Scares the life out of me and I would rather this one does not happen. I am not naive enough to think it won't. I just wish we would deal with punters with a better track record.....

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 17:27 - Apr 10 with 3746 views1973scott

As the article discusses, the footballing due diligence asks many other questions other than just looking at the financial position of a club, such as what is the age profile of the squad? What is the club’s track record of recruitment and talent development? How many players are on short-term contracts? And, among plenty of other topics, what is the future market value of each player in the squad?

People involved in the game point to two driving factors:
1- fast-rising income at Premier League clubs
2- better cost control.

That means wider profit margins and safer investments, going some way to explain why Manchester United’s New York-listed shares have risen almost a fifth this year, while the S&P 500 has been flat.

The financial gains from entering the Premier League provide a stark indication of its pull. During 2013/14, Crystal Palace’s first season back in the Premier League, players’ wages at the south London club more than doubled. But revenue, mostly television rights, prize money and sponsorship, was up more than 500 per cent. Palace saw a 523% increase in revenue in the Prem

Source:FT
[Post edited 10 Apr 2016 17:30]
Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 17:36 - Apr 10 with 3711 viewsblueytheblue

Man United also have worldwide merchandising income streams.

Not all Prem clubs are equal after all.

TV revenue can't keep rising at the rate they have been doing. BT drove the price but because they want football as a loss leader for their broadband business.

I'd expect within 5-10 years the domestic tv rights prices will have maxed out - when it starts to decline quite a few clubs will be in difficulties and not just Prem clubs.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 19:02 - Apr 10 with 3648 viewsleighton1318

Trick (for the investor) is to invest mostly in subordinated debt (loan notes, preference shares, whatever you would call it) paying, say, 15% pa cash. That is a large part of how the Glazers took £ out of MU.

Yes, player salaries take a lot of income but it's much easier to tell the player's agent 'we have to pay the interest' (implication: to someone else) than to say 'I need a divi' if you are trying to cool the wage demands.
Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 19:17 - Apr 10 with 3591 viewsairedale

Why Eagle-eyed investors think Premier League clubs are an open goal on 17:16 - Apr 10 by Private_Partz

Well money is the only thing that makes places like Liverpool and Manchester glamorous. Swansea is far sexier. With money behind us and a fully expanded stadium and infastructure then we could be a very attractive proposition. We would also cost considerably less than say a London club.
I am only being the devil's thingy. Scares the life out of me and I would rather this one does not happen. I am not naive enough to think it won't. I just wish we would deal with punters with a better track record.....

Yes OK, sexy, expanded, infrastructure (?) for what though? What is the proposition? Take our location and history for example, where is the long term prospect for a potential buyer?
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024