Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice for anyone travelling in London 07:11 - Jul 11 with 4576 viewsSTID2017

I guess this applies to the trains that run in and around London as well.
When you use the Tube, instead of having to buy tickets, work out how much they are, buy Oyster Cards, etc, you can just use your debit or credit card.
It will automatically work out the best prices for you and charge you.
I tried it and was really pleasantly surprised how reasonable the cost was, as well as very convenient
EDIT - https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless
[Post edited 11 Jul 2017 7:12]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 14:30 - Jul 11 with 1170 viewsDarran

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:33 - Jul 11 by epaul

Oyster is the best way, you cannot pay cash on the buses. If you use your debit card it charges the same as oyster and don't forget there is a daily cap, cost depends on the furthest zone you have travelled in

What part of the city are you living in these days Paul?
I was thinking of you last week when I was getting a kebab on Junction Road.
You used to live around that way didn't you?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 14:46 - Jul 11 with 1166 viewsdailew

Some people have a lot of time on their hands.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 17:18 - Jul 11 with 1135 viewspikeypaul

Hammersmith underground to Heathrow Terminal 5 a few weeks back

£5.90 if you pay cash. Or £1.50 if you use Oystercard or your contactless debit card.

I've had a Oystercard for years but may aswell get my £5 back now contactless is the same
price or even cheaper in certain situations.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 17:56 - Jul 11 with 1120 viewsGlyn1

This map shows the buses that go to the major tourist destinations. Just get your children to circle the places they want to visit and let them plan the bus journeys.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/key-bus-routes-in-central-london.pdf

If you are travelling to London by train there should be some 2 for 1 deals that you will be entitled to.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 19:21 - Jul 11 with 1097 viewsepaul

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 14:30 - Jul 11 by Darran

What part of the city are you living in these days Paul?
I was thinking of you last week when I was getting a kebab on Junction Road.
You used to live around that way didn't you?

Yes I did and thats a bit to close for comfort!!!!!, if you got your kebab at the top end at Archway, which was were I lived, the best kebab shop is just around the corner on Holloway Rd. Currently residing West in Hanwell

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 19:30 - Jul 11 with 1093 viewsDarran

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 19:21 - Jul 11 by epaul

Yes I did and thats a bit to close for comfort!!!!!, if you got your kebab at the top end at Archway, which was were I lived, the best kebab shop is just around the corner on Holloway Rd. Currently residing West in Hanwell

That's where we got the kebabs.

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:14 - Jul 11 with 1067 viewsGlyn1

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 19:21 - Jul 11 by epaul

Have you tried the new craft beer pub there? It was in London Drinker CAMRA magazine.

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:25 - Jul 11 with 1059 viewsDarran

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:14 - Jul 11 by Glyn1

Have you tried the new craft beer pub there? It was in London Drinker CAMRA magazine.

Where you living Glyn?

Login to get fewer ads

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:27 - Jul 11 with 1056 viewsFireboy2

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 17:56 - Jul 11 by Glyn1

This map shows the buses that go to the major tourist destinations. Just get your children to circle the places they want to visit and let them plan the bus journeys.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/key-bus-routes-in-central-london.pdf

If you are travelling to London by train there should be some 2 for 1 deals that you will be entitled to.

Thanks for that glyn
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:45 - Jul 11 with 1043 viewsGlyn1

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:25 - Jul 11 by Darran

Where you living Glyn?

Hounslow, about a 20 minute walk from Twickenham rugby ground. There's a number of Jacks living in that that bit of west London. Useful for the motorway.

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:46 - Jul 11 with 1041 viewsDarran

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:45 - Jul 11 by Glyn1

Hounslow, about a 20 minute walk from Twickenham rugby ground. There's a number of Jacks living in that that bit of west London. Useful for the motorway.

Tidy. 👍🏻

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 21:25 - Jul 11 with 1020 viewsepaul

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 19:30 - Jul 11 by Darran

That's where we got the kebabs.

Fair play you got a good memory, I for one will never ever go back up that way!!!

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 21:27 - Jul 11 with 1015 viewsepaul

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:14 - Jul 11 by Glyn1

Not been that way for almost 5 years no plans to either, bat shit crazy ex wife up there, perhaps you mean St Johns? only kind of pub I can think of the rest are mad irish spit and sawdust places

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 21:29 - Jul 11 with 1012 viewsepaul

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 20:45 - Jul 11 by Glyn1

There is Glyn, your not to far from me, you going to Barnet tomorrow

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 21:42 - Jul 11 with 1005 viewsDUChampion

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:30 - Jul 11 by legoman

Ah that is a problem because the system only works on the basis of "one card per person" so for example you can't pay for a journey for a friend by tapping in twice with the same card. The easiest way might be to buy a travelcard for each person - I think they cost the same as a daily capped Oyster charge - but worth checking at the ticket office. Travelcards for juniors are cheaper than adult ones.

You could always get Oyster cards for everyone but they cost £5 each initially on top of your first load up. Someone on here said you can get the £5 refunded - I didn't know that so can't comment and presumably you would only get a refund by handing back your Oyster.

The Oyster cards from the machines are, by default, aligned to adult fares so you need to get them reprogrammed to the child fares - it's pretty straightforward.

Options are:
1. If you're really lucky you'll be at a station with manned tills - they'll then do it all for you.
2. If there are only ticket machines (e.g. usually the case at Paddington) then the best thing to do is to find a TfL staff member in / around the ticket machines and play a bit daft - if you're lucky they'll do it all for you.
3. Otherwise, you'll need to buy them from the machine yourself and I think you need to buy them separately i.e. go through the whole exercise for each person. Then go find a staff member to reprogramme them. Don't put any cash on the kids cards until they've been reprogrammed.

As mentioned elsewhere, I would look at the costs of getting travel cards for the trip added on to your train tickets to London as this may work out cheaper / easier.

If you have time I highly recommend doing the 'Emirates' cable cars over the river to / from the O2. £3.50 for an adult and £1.50 for a child and you pay with your Oyster or bank card.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2017 21:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024