Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your Vetchfield routine 17:51 - Oct 7 with 6358 viewsMrSwerve

I was born in 1987 and started going to the Vetch around 1990...so by the time the Vetch closed, I was about 17 and despite going with mates many, many times, I was slightly too young to go out on the razz properly.

I thought it would be good and interesting on this 'off weekend' for people to share their routines, what time you'd get into town for a 3pm kickoff, where you'd go before the game, what you would do after the game win or loss, what time you'd end up getting in.

I'm sure there's some interesting stories!

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:20 - Oct 7 with 1751 viewsTheResurrection

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:46 - Oct 7 by Pegojack

When I first started going as a kid, it was from Baglan driven by my dad in hisbattered Vauxhall Victor estate along with three or four of my schoolmates. We'd all be clutching the wooden football rattles we'd made in woodwork class. We're talking the 1960s here.
In the last ten years of the Vetch, There were five Hereford Jacks who used to share the driving, one of which is no longer with us (RIP Dave, YJB). We used to park up near the Queens and have lunch and a few pints there before leaving about 2.40 just in time to enter the East Terrace. Straight back home after the match, over the Beacons in all weathers. Some things don't change.

Surely you meant the 1950's Mike? ;-)

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:21 - Oct 7 with 1745 viewsTheResurrection

Your Vetchfield routine on 20:03 - Oct 7 by Pegojack

Is Haydn still with us, Chris? I haven"t seen him for a long time.

Oh aye he's still with us terrorising and tormenting everyone in his path. ;-)

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:23 - Oct 7 with 1744 viewsDarran

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:21 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

Has he still got his binos? 👀

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:25 - Oct 7 with 1738 viewsTheResurrection

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:23 - Oct 7 by Darran

Has he still got his binos? 👀

He hasn't gone for a good couple of seasons now. But if he did he'd have them alright. He'd spend almost as much time watching the Directors box as the game.

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:27 - Oct 7 with 1721 viewsQJumpingJack

As a kid, head down to The Vetch after Saint & Greavsie had been on.
Enjoyed most games at The Vetch, pre mobile phone/internet era.
I can remember we lost about six games in the trot under Yorath in 1991 and there wasn't too much criticism.
After the game, Swansea Sound for the journey home. Ceefax for the league tables. Blind Date and Noel's House Party for Saturday night entertainment.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 21:27]
Your Vetchfield routine on 21:31 - Oct 7 with 1703 viewsDarran

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:25 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

He hasn't gone for a good couple of seasons now. But if he did he'd have them alright. He'd spend almost as much time watching the Directors box as the game.

Funny. 😂

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:31 - Oct 7 with 1701 viewsSwanjaxs

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:21 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

I gave your old man a kiss outside Fratton Park (On the cheek of course) after we beat Portsmouth in the FA Cup a couple of years ago! Good to know the argumentative old bugger is still on point! 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:31 - Oct 7 with 1699 viewsTheResurrection

The Sporting Post was a good shout by someone. Always felt like forever for that to find it's way across the City after the game. The report from John Burgum and various other Swans features were all we had back then before the next game came around.

Chris Wathan was Johns tea boy.

Login to get fewer ads

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:33 - Oct 7 with 1682 viewsDarran

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:31 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

The Sporting Post was a good shout by someone. Always felt like forever for that to find it's way across the City after the game. The report from John Burgum and various other Swans features were all we had back then before the next game came around.

I detest Wathan.

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:33 - Oct 7 with 1682 viewsPegojack

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:20 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

Surely you meant the 1950's Mike? ;-)

Cheeky bar steward!

Give the old man my regards.
Your Vetchfield routine on 21:38 - Oct 7 with 1664 viewsTheResurrection

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:31 - Oct 7 by Swanjaxs

I gave your old man a kiss outside Fratton Park (On the cheek of course) after we beat Portsmouth in the FA Cup a couple of years ago! Good to know the argumentative old bugger is still on point! 👍

He's popped up a bit on Spielburg's old video's, in Cardiff on the Grange End with all the hoolies and in the middle of it all in the Reading Riots.

He winds up everyone he meets.

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:40 - Oct 7 with 1660 viewsTheResurrection

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:33 - Oct 7 by Pegojack

Cheeky bar steward!

Give the old man my regards.

Ha! Will do Mike

Your Vetchfield routine on 22:02 - Oct 7 with 1620 viewsSwanjaxs

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:38 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

He's popped up a bit on Spielburg's old video's, in Cardiff on the Grange End with all the hoolies and in the middle of it all in the Reading Riots.

I can imagine Haydn back in the day not giving a fùck and speaking up! The words "chip" and "block" spring to mind! Always remember having a difference of opinion about Alan Tate at a snowbound Molineux Stadium a good few years back with Mr T2C too! Pass on my regards and best wishes please Chris 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Your Vetchfield routine on 22:11 - Oct 7 with 1597 viewsmikecranleigh

Started going to the Vetch aged about 7/8 bus from Blaen-y-maes to meet my Dad from work by the Castle.
Visit my great aunt in Argyle street fish and chips every time followed by tea and custards creams before heading to the North bank
sometimes return for a cuppa after or go straight home to watch Generation game
Your Vetchfield routine on 22:38 - Oct 7 with 1561 viewsxmastree

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:38 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

Didn't spielgberg used to hang arounds marthas, mothers etc with his camera. All a little vague nowadays but remember him with his black hair being there.
Your Vetchfield routine on 22:41 - Oct 7 with 1558 viewsTheResurrection

Your Vetchfield routine on 22:02 - Oct 7 by Swanjaxs

I can imagine Haydn back in the day not giving a fùck and speaking up! The words "chip" and "block" spring to mind! Always remember having a difference of opinion about Alan Tate at a snowbound Molineux Stadium a good few years back with Mr T2C too! Pass on my regards and best wishes please Chris 👍

Aye that's him, he's fit enough. Talk to anyone, but mostly winds the hell out of everyone. He always had a pop at our more popular players. He prefers being on the opposite side to everyone else. You never know how much is serious though. I'm not as bad as that

... and will do.

Your Vetchfield routine on 23:14 - Oct 7 with 1537 viewslonglostjack

Your Vetchfield routine on 21:31 - Oct 7 by TheResurrection

Sporting Post was the equivalent of Breaking News.

Edit: The sellers who used to shout it out. Memories.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 23:16]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Your Vetchfield routine on 23:48 - Oct 7 with 1509 viewsSwanjaxs

Your Vetchfield routine on 23:14 - Oct 7 by longlostjack

Sporting Post was the equivalent of Breaking News.

Edit: The sellers who used to shout it out. Memories.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2017 23:16]

When the Sporting Post turned green.😝 beginning of the end 😕 #technology

Your Vetchfield routine on 01:27 - Oct 8 with 1464 viewsMillie

The Langdon, 1975, my first pint ever (opposite the London)
Buller, Priddy and Bishy were my pears, and Kingo was the top boy
Distant memories
Your Vetchfield routine on 08:06 - Oct 8 with 1405 viewspencoedjack

Start in the Adam & Eve various watering holes en route along High st ( the Hanbury was a fav for a while) ended up in the Gari or builders then the same on way back unless we had a night out in Swansea when Marthas The Bush or Barons were clubs of choice

One of the days would probably kill me now although some of the best times of my life.
Your Vetchfield routine on 08:41 - Oct 8 with 1376 viewsswansea68

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:22 - Oct 7 by SPboy

Routines changed through different eras depending on age. Back in the day it was always the Park or the Griffin bar. Then the Queens and the pub (can’t remember the name) under the Valbonne club. In the latter days of the Vetch always the George before the match & Bar Reef after.

Miss those days - when Cardiff were in town it would be High Street or the Swansea Jack

City tavern.
Your Vetchfield routine on 08:59 - Oct 8 with 1353 viewsEdmundo

As a kid, it was always the double decker bus from Loughor, first stop the slots place by the Valbonne, into ground about 2.30 ish, a hot chocolate, pasty and then take my place at the back of the North bank up on the back wall.
The atmosphere still seemed far better then than mow and proper football songs!

Later in life, after 25 years working in England, I looked forward to meeting mates at the Builders, grab a progrsmme, down ground by 2.45. If we won, stay out in Town, working our way from Builders, Potters etc, ending up down St Helens rd for a curry 😁

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Your Vetchfield routine on 09:17 - Oct 8 with 1341 viewsxmastree

Your Vetchfield routine on 20:08 - Oct 7 by longlostjack

There were a fair few on Glamorgan Street who had a decent view of the game from where they were staying.

The only view i had was the back of the stand and the harry griff bar 😂
Your Vetchfield routine on 10:20 - Oct 8 with 1298 viewsItchySphincter

Was I the only one who ever went in the Singleton then?

As kids it would be bus to the leisure centre, swim, hydra slide, over to Wimpy, sometimes Eynon's, quick look in Our Price then down the Vetch, grab a Sporting on the way back to the bus.

Sometimes used to take turns to drive as we got older, dump a car somewhere up by Brynymor Road, quick look in/cup of tea at Derek Morgan's drum shop, then anyone of Builders, Garibaldi, Singleton. Potter's Wheel wasn't open then, unless my memory fails me?

Pub after the game, sometimes called in Adam and Eve, see a tea time band. In later years I recall calling in The Grand for a pint, after the refit. I think remember watching a Six Nations game in there after a match.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:05 - Oct 8 with 1192 viewsSPboy

Your Vetchfield routine on 19:58 - Oct 7 by jack2jack

City Tavern

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024