Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recommend me a bike 16:35 - Mar 27 with 12308 viewsBLAZE

I've become a right chubber and reckon a bike will help me get fitter

Don't really wanna spend more than a couple hundred quid. Am I being unrealistic at that price?

Thank you
Recommend me a bike on 12:30 - Mar 28 with 2426 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 11:51 - Mar 28 by Jack_y_Jwc

Have you checked to see if your work offer a Cycle to Work scheme? Your work will buy the bike outright and you pay them back over a period of time before tax.

I ended up with a £750 road bike for about £430 (£36 per month for 12 months).

I'm in University currently, so not working. But good advice, thanks

Looks like I'll have to go check out some shops over the weekend. Are there brands I should avoid? For example the only bikes in my price range in Halfords appear to be 'Apollo'. Tredz dont have anything for £200
Recommend me a bike on 12:34 - Mar 28 with 2423 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 11:19 - Mar 28 by jacktheripper

Plenty to choose from in halfords. Plus they've got a 20% trade in offer. Better off trying bike for size rather than guessing

Just read that, it's a great deal. You can actually trade in an old helmet and get 20% off a bike!! Ends next week
Recommend me a bike on 12:37 - Mar 28 with 2409 viewslifelong

Recommend me a bike on 12:34 - Mar 28 by BLAZE

Just read that, it's a great deal. You can actually trade in an old helmet and get 20% off a bike!! Ends next week

Interest free over 12 months for items over £99 currently in Halfords.
Recommend me a bike on 13:33 - Mar 28 with 2377 viewsvalleyboy

Recommend me a bike on 06:58 - Mar 28 by lifelong

Buy a good pair of walking trainers and walk a few miles a day, the weight will drop off.

Absolutely spot on, especially if your power walking

Watch someone that’s ridden a bike for years run

You will think there’s something wrong with him, as when he runs his strides are very short

Riding a bike for years shortens the muscles

Best excercise without a doubt is swimming

Another option is to join a running club

There’s one that’s just been reopened where I live. After the original track was removed to make way for a school

It’s a pleasure to see so many using that facility of all ages, especially on a Tuesday and Thursday nights where there’s at least 50 young kids taking part
Recommend me a bike on 15:52 - Mar 28 with 2333 viewsEbo

Recommend me a bike on 13:33 - Mar 28 by valleyboy

Absolutely spot on, especially if your power walking

Watch someone that’s ridden a bike for years run

You will think there’s something wrong with him, as when he runs his strides are very short

Riding a bike for years shortens the muscles

Best excercise without a doubt is swimming

Another option is to join a running club

There’s one that’s just been reopened where I live. After the original track was removed to make way for a school

It’s a pleasure to see so many using that facility of all ages, especially on a Tuesday and Thursday nights where there’s at least 50 young kids taking part

You're an Aberdare boy I can tell ;)

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Recommend me a bike on 16:10 - Mar 28 with 2319 viewsvalleyboy

Recommend me a bike on 15:52 - Mar 28 by Ebo

You're an Aberdare boy I can tell ;)

Never said I wasn’t

To be fair to the council and I’m not one of their big supporters. The facilities that are there in the Ynys is as good as you would want for children and adults
Recommend me a bike on 19:53 - Mar 28 with 2260 viewsPacemaker

Recommend me a bike on 07:12 - Mar 28 by BLAZE

Sorry for all the questions but how does this look? Seems they retail for around the £450 mark. I'd try and get it sub £200

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/cannondale-trail-6-2017/1334724742

Looks ok you need to have a good look at it first but that seems a fair price

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Recommend me a bike on 12:20 - Apr 1 with 2134 viewsEbo

Recommend me a bike on 16:10 - Mar 28 by valleyboy

Never said I wasn’t

To be fair to the council and I’m not one of their big supporters. The facilities that are there in the Ynys is as good as you would want for children and adults

The Ynys was my second home as a kid. Played football down there every day in the school hols.

Back when there was no running track, just the astro turf/all weather.

Where the school/stadium is now the playing fields were ours to use and the sports centre used to put out old goal posts for us to play on.

Great times, although the smell of horseshit and fires from the allotment could be a bit rank :)

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Login to get fewer ads

Recommend me a bike on 13:25 - Apr 1 with 2108 viewssainthelens

Recommend a bike? Bonnie Tyler is often at the bar in Morgan's, I'm sure she could help you out.
Recommend me a bike on 14:09 - Apr 1 with 2079 viewssherpajacob

Get down Tredz and see what clearance offers they've got on Hybrid bikes.

No point getting a,mountain bike if your going to be on cycle paths and tarmac.

I love Giant bikes personally, good quality and value.

I got a giant hybrid a few years back just for a 4 mile commute, which seemed daunting at the time, and since then I've done the full taff trail several times on it, and also got a,road bike and done 2 velathons and 4 cartens.

I'm still a,fat fecker mind.

Enjoy the journey.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Recommend me a bike on 15:23 - Apr 1 with 2059 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 19:53 - Mar 28 by Pacemaker

Looks ok you need to have a good look at it first but that seems a fair price

I got it in the end for £200. Claimed he only rode it 3 times and judging by the condition I don't doubt him

Had a quick dash up the road and it really hit home how unfit I've allowed myself to get. Gonna be starting on the flats of the seafront first while I build up some fitness i think

Thanks everyone
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 15:23]
Recommend me a bike on 15:28 - Apr 1 with 2052 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 13:25 - Apr 1 by sainthelens

Recommend a bike? Bonnie Tyler is often at the bar in Morgan's, I'm sure she could help you out.

Old enough to be my grandmother, but I'd unleash all sorts of filfth upon her if given half a chance

Her Mr likes them young and male, too. Allegedly. I'll skip on that one.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 15:30]
Recommend me a bike on 15:36 - Apr 1 with 2040 viewsBLAZE

Recommend me a bike on 14:09 - Apr 1 by sherpajacob

Get down Tredz and see what clearance offers they've got on Hybrid bikes.

No point getting a,mountain bike if your going to be on cycle paths and tarmac.

I love Giant bikes personally, good quality and value.

I got a giant hybrid a few years back just for a 4 mile commute, which seemed daunting at the time, and since then I've done the full taff trail several times on it, and also got a,road bike and done 2 velathons and 4 cartens.

I'm still a,fat fecker mind.

Enjoy the journey.

Sound advice, thanks. I think i can adjust the strength of the fork springs, fully locked up would essentially turn it into a hybrid wouldn't it?
Recommend me a bike on 07:44 - Apr 3 with 1941 viewsPacemaker

Recommend me a bike on 15:23 - Apr 1 by BLAZE

I got it in the end for £200. Claimed he only rode it 3 times and judging by the condition I don't doubt him

Had a quick dash up the road and it really hit home how unfit I've allowed myself to get. Gonna be starting on the flats of the seafront first while I build up some fitness i think

Thanks everyone
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 15:23]

Well done James small steps and enjoy the journey! Lock the front forks and you will use less energy pedalling along roads and flat surfaces. If you have chunky tyres you can swap them for hybrid tyres to again make it a bit easier on the tracks and allow you to go that bit further.

Best tip use all of the gears keep spinning your legs rather than grinding your way up slopes.

Recommend me a bike on 08:00 - Apr 3 with 1933 viewsjedijack

Recommend me a bike on 15:36 - Apr 1 by BLAZE

Sound advice, thanks. I think i can adjust the strength of the fork springs, fully locked up would essentially turn it into a hybrid wouldn't it?

Almost, but not quite.
Even fully locked out, there will still be a bit of give in the suspension that will be wasted energy when getting the thing to move. I find it a price worth paying personally, for the versatility of a MTB.
Got mine just before my wedding about 3 years back, lost about 2 stone in not very long at all, then it just gathered dust until recently, when the wife fked off.
Back on it the last few months, to shift some weight for when I fancy getting back into the lady market. :)
Recommend me a bike on 08:30 - Apr 3 with 1915 viewsBLAZE

Sorry to hear about the break up man

When the time comes, get on POF or Tinder. I've not found much in the way of relationship material, but it's good for the numbers if nothing else
Recommend me a bike on 09:29 - Apr 3 with 1891 viewsjedijack

Recommend me a bike on 08:30 - Apr 3 by BLAZE

Sorry to hear about the break up man

When the time comes, get on POF or Tinder. I've not found much in the way of relationship material, but it's good for the numbers if nothing else

Thank mate, was for the best though. Never had so much bad luck in my entire life as during the 2 years I was married. Got to keep the house too, so not all bad.

Met the wife online and met somebody else a few months back, also online. Have decided though, for the 1st time in my life I want to be on my own for a bit. Can't beat a bit of freedom. :)
Recommend me a bike on 09:49 - Apr 4 with 1822 viewsBLAZE

So, why are seats so high? I appreciate proper form dictates your leg should be fully extended at the bottom of the rotation, but to me it just isn't comfortable. Bad habits from days of dirt jumping I guess. Even with the seat down as far as it'll go, it's still slightly too high for my liking, so I'm tempted to chop an inch or two off it's length so it'll sit lower. Bad idea?

I feel ridiculous too, like a fat clown trying to balance on his tiny bicycle. How long until you stop giving a f*ck how you look?
Recommend me a bike on 13:03 - Apr 4 with 1790 viewsLeonWasGod

Recommend me a bike on 09:49 - Apr 4 by BLAZE

So, why are seats so high? I appreciate proper form dictates your leg should be fully extended at the bottom of the rotation, but to me it just isn't comfortable. Bad habits from days of dirt jumping I guess. Even with the seat down as far as it'll go, it's still slightly too high for my liking, so I'm tempted to chop an inch or two off it's length so it'll sit lower. Bad idea?

I feel ridiculous too, like a fat clown trying to balance on his tiny bicycle. How long until you stop giving a f*ck how you look?

Not quite fully extended - you need mostly extended, but relaxed with a very slight bend. With your foot level, if you feel you're stretching on the down push, or your hips rock from side to side, the seat is to high. Going the other way, you don't want a big bend at the knee as it puts too much pressure on the front of the knee and can lead to knee pain.

If you get it right, it's comfier and leads to far more efficient cycling - all good as you get fitter.

Google it and you'll find plenty of example of what your leg position should look like. Or find someone you know who cycles and ask them to just check. It's fairly easy to get right, although it may feel odd for a bit if you're used to low seats on jump bikes.

ps - give up on the vanity now, it'll save a lot of embarrassment in the long run. Embrace MAMIL (middle-aged man in lycra)!!
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 13:05]
Recommend me a bike on 13:14 - Apr 4 with 1775 viewsLeonWasGod

Also, with that bike you've got (good bike) if you find you're only ever on tarmac you can swap the tyres for a pair of slick or semi-slick tyres. You'll notice a big difference to top speed and ease of pedalling. No rush though - you can pootle round with what you have until you get fitter and start thinking about longer distances.

You may find more fun off road - I'd recommend going out onto some of the forest tracks if you can. Adds some extra interest - if you're local, Afan Forest is right on our doorstep. The forest track family routes or green routes would be the place to start while you're building up fitness - https://naturalresources.wales/days-out/places-to-visit/south-east-wales/afan-fo

Padded shorts are a godsend too for longer rides.

Enjoy!
Recommend me a bike on 19:56 - Apr 4 with 1720 viewsBLAZE

Loads of great advice, thanks!

No need for lycra, I'll dust off the old spandex bottoms

Recommend me a bike on 20:02 - Apr 4 with 1712 viewsDafyddHuw

"Recommend me a bike"

Hazel from Waunarlwydd
Recommend me a bike on 21:04 - Apr 4 with 1699 viewsPacemaker

Recommend me a bike on 09:49 - Apr 4 by BLAZE

As a rough guide put your wrist on your hip bone with your hand facing out from your body at 90 degrees and your hand should be level with your saddle.

Your knee should have a slight bend of about 20 degrees when the pedal is at the bottom of the rotation.

Recommend me a bike on 08:23 - Apr 5 with 1645 viewssainthelens

Recommend me a bike on 21:04 - Apr 4 by Pacemaker

As a rough guide put your wrist on your hip bone with your hand facing out from your body at 90 degrees and your hand should be level with your saddle.

Your knee should have a slight bend of about 20 degrees when the pedal is at the bottom of the rotation.

Bit camp innit.
Recommend me a bike on 09:12 - Apr 5 with 1625 viewsLeonWasGod

Recommend me a bike on 08:23 - Apr 5 by sainthelens

Bit camp innit.

I did think of this fella when I read that last night.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024