Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? 14:22 - May 19 with 4267 viewsMrSwerve

Manager with zero emotional ties to club jumps at opportunity to manage in the premier league with a vastly superior transfer budget and has been doing half decent in the PL up until last season.

Even if we’d offered Potter extra cash and budget, I’d still be surprised if he had stayed.

All this crap about him saying ‘you Jack b*stard’ and kissing the badge to the East stand, if anyone believed that then there are more mugs supporting us than I realised.

Excellent opportunity for Potter. I am gutted to have lost him, but that’s football. Really hope that Brighton come down next season.

Onwards and upwards.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 20:28 - May 19 with 917 viewsDafyddHuw

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 15:13 - May 19 by Smellyplumz

Onwards and upwards 🤣🤣🤣

Well, you're half right
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 20:32 - May 19 with 906 viewsDafyddHuw

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 16:47 - May 19 by jack_lord

Whatever happens in the longer term we still have a lovely stadium with a nice pitch. We also have state of the art facilities and have a high profile that will entice potential players and management.
I do wish the yanks would just be honest and explain what they are doing. If they say they only want money then so be it and we can choose whether to help them or not.

Your 2nd para. What the fùck else do you think they're doing here? Cos they love the place so much?
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 23:38 - May 19 with 800 viewsjack_lord

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 20:32 - May 19 by DafyddHuw

Your 2nd para. What the fùck else do you think they're doing here? Cos they love the place so much?

The thing is they have 65 million reasons to try and make the club succeed. If the fans stop turning up then their investment would turn to shit overnight. This is a football club and it is a very risky business so they must have had more than a financial reason to buy a club as there are much more certain ways to make money.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 23:57 - May 19 with 776 viewsdameedna

There certainly are easier ways to make money than running a sports or football club.

A hedge fund is not only looking at returns they are looking at a formula that may entice investment at the right time.

That time is definitely not now as the market is very limited. That is why Birch is here. To attempt to steady the ship and avoid sliding into debt and administration.

We have to hope that a new manager and a decent summer of ins and outs will produce a strong squad.

The club has excellent facilities and is attractive to most professionals.

We are on a par with Reading and Bristol and there is still a lot to play for with what looks like a consistent strategy.
[Post edited 19 May 2019 23:59]
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 00:29 - May 20 with 763 viewsJacket

Such a big club Brighton, it's not as if they've struggled for their entire time in the PL. Of course anyone would jump at the chance to manage this bottom 5 club. What an amazing opportunity. Brighton will struggle under Potter just like they've struggled from the moment they've been promoted. Rationally, my opinion is that he would have stayed had he been given assurances that he would have a squad that could compete for promotion. Rationally, he wasn't given those assurances. That's why he opted to struggle in the PL rather than struggle in the Championship.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:08 - May 20 with 597 viewsymaohyd

We move on from Potter now, one chapter closes, another one opens:

Rationally:

The relationship between a club and it's fans will always be difficult, the fans will always be the only constant, on the playing side, managerial side, most clubs are full of mercenaries with agents who will want to eek out the most money they can for their clients.

To be fair , being a manager is a very well paid position, astronomical in PL cases, along with that though comes statistics that show, particularly in the PL, managers only last a few seasons.

Press conference speak.

I want to thank first of all the owners, players, supporters of xxxx they are a wonderful club and I wish them all the success for next season.

I'm so excited to become xxxxx manager, it has a wonderful history, it has a great vision for the future.

Blah blah blah

Apply to every club, every press conference.

If Potter does well, his next move will be to Man U, Liverpool whoever and the above will be trotted out again.

I think the only thing that fans will ask of players and managers, don't kiss the badge, don't say that you love the club, because we all know that at the first opportunity of stepping up the ladder you'll pi ss off!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:12 - May 20 with 588 viewsAngelRangelQS

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 00:29 - May 20 by Jacket

Such a big club Brighton, it's not as if they've struggled for their entire time in the PL. Of course anyone would jump at the chance to manage this bottom 5 club. What an amazing opportunity. Brighton will struggle under Potter just like they've struggled from the moment they've been promoted. Rationally, my opinion is that he would have stayed had he been given assurances that he would have a squad that could compete for promotion. Rationally, he wasn't given those assurances. That's why he opted to struggle in the PL rather than struggle in the Championship.

It all depends on what he wanted and what the club were prepared to offer him.

If next season is viewed as another rebuilding year which I suspect it was going to be, even before all of this, with an appropriate budget to reflect that then maybe that wasn’t enough for Potter. Personally I wouldn’t have any problem if that had been the case.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:26 - May 20 with 554 viewsPacemaker

We are lucky to have a bit of time to sort this out. I think Birch will have more contacts and ideas then Huw ever did. Potter was always going to be a target for a lower PL club.

It’s not like this hasn’t happened to us before. This is at least the 3rd manager we have had poached in recent years, we have the facilities here and a decent squad that needs a bit of strengthening.

With the right appointment we could be in just the same position of looking forward to next season. If the board sell off any of the other players ( other than James who has gone for sure) then we will be in a very poor position.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:32 - May 20 with 539 viewspencoedjack

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:26 - May 20 by Pacemaker

We are lucky to have a bit of time to sort this out. I think Birch will have more contacts and ideas then Huw ever did. Potter was always going to be a target for a lower PL club.

It’s not like this hasn’t happened to us before. This is at least the 3rd manager we have had poached in recent years, we have the facilities here and a decent squad that needs a bit of strengthening.

With the right appointment we could be in just the same position of looking forward to next season. If the board sell off any of the other players ( other than James who has gone for sure) then we will be in a very poor position.

Yep how I see it.

No disrespect to Potter but personally don’t think he will be a PL manager for long.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:54 - May 20 with 517 viewsThornburyswan

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 17:26 - May 20 by Pacemaker

Agree with that, good points well made - with the end of contracts/loanees already gone, Potter + crew compensation if Birch makes the right new manager call & can exit the Ayews/Baston/Carroll/Montero plus the likely sale of DJ we could have resolved our financial hole & effectively re-set for a proper re-build.
Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 18:01 - May 20 with 508 viewsBillyChong

Is anyone else here looking at this situation rationally? on 23:38 - May 19 by jack_lord

The thing is they have 65 million reasons to try and make the club succeed. If the fans stop turning up then their investment would turn to shit overnight. This is a football club and it is a very risky business so they must have had more than a financial reason to buy a club as there are much more certain ways to make money.

Why would they worry when there’s a waiting list for season tickets....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024