Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Broken Again.... 07:58 - Aug 22 with 484 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Message on Fansonline......

MIDDLESBROUGH

Server Problems

Many apologies we are experiencing a major server problem. There was a problem earlier on that caused the sites to go off line. But when that was righted they couldn't get the message boards to start up working again. It is called Replication. They have to wind back the clock to where the sites stopped working so that all those missing posts ....

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Broken Again.... on 20:22 - Aug 22 with 151 viewsspell_chekker

Broken Again.... on 20:15 - Aug 22 by janegallagher

I think my favourite word is serendipity.

Ah, ok, favourite words it is.

Mine is 'pamplemousse'.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Broken Again.... on 20:30 - Aug 22 with 142 viewsspell_chekker

Broken Again.... on 17:24 - Aug 22 by spudgun

Not like you to be bright-eyed and bushy tailed, spell.

Everything ok, pal?

I've just see your post of 17:24 Spud.

I'm fine, thanks for asking.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Broken Again.... on 20:33 - Aug 22 with 134 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I'm still fond of retromingent.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Broken Again.... on 20:33 - Aug 22 with 133 viewsspudgun

Broken Again.... on 20:22 - Aug 22 by spell_chekker

Ah, ok, favourite words it is.

Mine is 'pamplemousse'.

One of my favourite words is `boondoggle`.

Imagine how pleased I was when I rocked up at my local and they had `Boondoggle` bitter as a guest beer!

I ordered a pint, and casually asked the landlord who was serving me : "Do know what a boondoggle is, Swin?"

I then informed him (and the bar flies, who were ear-wigging) of the meaning, then wandered off to take my seat, leaving them agog in awe of me and my knowledge!

I live for moments like that...
Broken Again.... on 20:36 - Aug 22 with 131 viewsspell_chekker

Broken Again.... on 20:33 - Aug 22 by spudgun

One of my favourite words is `boondoggle`.

Imagine how pleased I was when I rocked up at my local and they had `Boondoggle` bitter as a guest beer!

I ordered a pint, and casually asked the landlord who was serving me : "Do know what a boondoggle is, Swin?"

I then informed him (and the bar flies, who were ear-wigging) of the meaning, then wandered off to take my seat, leaving them agog in awe of me and my knowledge!

I live for moments like that...

Call My Bluff anyone?

Broken Again.... on 20:38 - Aug 22 with 129 viewsjanegallagher

Broken Again.... on 20:36 - Aug 22 by spell_chekker

Call My Bluff anyone?

Like that spud. Another favourite peripatetic

We’ve got Simon Sadler

Broken Again.... on 20:39 - Aug 22 with 129 viewsspudgun

Broken Again.... on 20:36 - Aug 22 by spell_chekker

Call My Bluff anyone?

Used to watch that as a kid - there again there only was four channels in those days!
Broken Again.... on 07:50 - Aug 23 with 107 viewsspudgun

Broken Again.... on 20:39 - Aug 22 by spudgun

Used to watch that as a kid - there again there only was four channels in those days!

Having been introduced to the word `lollygag` only today after a mere 58 years on this planet, imagine my surprise (and small delight) at hearing it again on the radio the same evening.

Was in a radio 4 extra show about the Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Awards.

So I thought I would share the wonderful Flo and Joan doing a satire/pastiche of English folk. It`s very good...and `lollygag` is mentioned at around 1.20....

Login to get fewer ads

Broken Again.... on 07:57 - Aug 23 with 104 viewsspell_chekker

Broken Again.... on 07:50 - Aug 23 by spudgun

Having been introduced to the word `lollygag` only today after a mere 58 years on this planet, imagine my surprise (and small delight) at hearing it again on the radio the same evening.

So I thought I would share the wonderful Flo and Joan doing a satire/pastiche of English folk. It`s very good...and `lollygag` is mentioned at around 1.20....

An example of the world working in a mysterious way Spud.

Broken Again.... on 08:00 - Aug 23 with 103 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Broken Again.... on 07:50 - Aug 23 by spudgun

Spud

You've been hit by the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Broken Again.... on 08:05 - Aug 23 with 102 viewsspudgun

Broken Again.... on 07:57 - Aug 23 by spell_chekker

An example of the world working in a mysterious way Spud.

Surely incontrovertible evidence of `the interconnectedness of all things` *, spell...

*© Dirk Gently (Dirk Gently`s Holistic Detective Agency).

Edit to add: that did actually cross my mind, Red (although I wasn`t aware it was called that) . But interesting new words do register with me, and I surely wouldn`t have missed `lollygag` !

Will be listening out for `Baader-Meinhof phenomenon` now...
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 8:11]
Broken Again.... on 09:01 - Aug 23 with 97 viewsLala

Broken Again.... on 08:05 - Aug 23 by spudgun

Surely incontrovertible evidence of `the interconnectedness of all things` *, spell...

*© Dirk Gently (Dirk Gently`s Holistic Detective Agency).

Edit to add: that did actually cross my mind, Red (although I wasn`t aware it was called that) . But interesting new words do register with me, and I surely wouldn`t have missed `lollygag` !

Will be listening out for `Baader-Meinhof phenomenon` now...
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 8:11]

That’s a fabulous coincidence Spud.

I must admit I do like to lollygag and I love the word 😍

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Broken Again.... on 09:09 - Aug 23 with 97 viewsImperial

I love this site.

It really is unique.

Long may it continue.
Broken Again.... on 09:24 - Aug 23 with 91 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Broken Again.... on 09:09 - Aug 23 by Imperial

I love this site.

It really is unique.

Long may it continue.

Spud

Only came across that term last year, it was in an article about chalk markings on roads. Had to google it, as I'd never heard/seen it before.

Broken Again.... on 09:34 - Aug 23 with 85 viewsspudgun

Broken Again.... on 09:09 - Aug 23 by Imperial

I love this site.

It really is unique.

Long may it continue.

Probably because we are pleasant to each other, and respectful of other poster`s opinions, Imp.

I think of it as a sunny little village where we all go about our daily business, and are unfailingly polite and cheerful to each other. The village has a bakery, a chemist, a duck pond, a fire station, a windmill....

Sorry, I might be thinking of Camberwick Green....
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 9:36]
Broken Again.... on 09:34 - Aug 23 with 84 viewsjanegallagher

Broken Again.... on 09:24 - Aug 23 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Spud

Only came across that term last year, it was in an article about chalk markings on roads. Had to google it, as I'd never heard/seen it before.

I remember going on a skiing holiday with friends and being stopped at Munich Airport by some fierce looking police. They pulled me to one side shouting at me. I’m sure Baader—Meinhof Gang was amongst the words they were shouting in German. Never knew why they stopped me. My friends reckoned I looked like one of the terrorists.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

Broken Again.... on 11:27 - Aug 23 with 72 viewsspell_chekker

Broken Again.... on 09:34 - Aug 23 by janegallagher

I remember going on a skiing holiday with friends and being stopped at Munich Airport by some fierce looking police. They pulled me to one side shouting at me. I’m sure Baader—Meinhof Gang was amongst the words they were shouting in German. Never knew why they stopped me. My friends reckoned I looked like one of the terrorists.

Is Camberwick Green the same place as Trumpton?

I'm not sure there's a difference.

Broken Again.... on 12:36 - Aug 23 with 62 viewsspudgun

Broken Again.... on 11:27 - Aug 23 by spell_chekker

Is Camberwick Green the same place as Trumpton?

I'm not sure there's a difference.

Yep, there is considerable misunderstanding regarding this spell, which I will attempt to clarify.

Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley are all small villages in the tiny county of Trumptonshire, which snuggles idyllically between Oxfordshire and Berkshire. A throwback to a pastoral 1930`s England, not much happens of any real consequence and the world tends to go about its business with little regard to little Trumptonshire.

The only noteworthy occurance was the `Trumpton riots` in the summer of 1981, partly against Thatcher`s oppressive government policy on post office opening hours, and to a lesser extent because of the local tension between the police (PC McGarry) and the (imaginary) black community of Trumpton. It is believed that Chippy Minton and Mrs Honeyman were prominent in the uprising which was quickly suppressed by Captain Snort and the boys from the fort.

This was melodically documented (sort of) in the seminal Half-Man Half-Biscuit song `The Trumpton Riots`...

It is of note that Trumpton voted to leave the EU in the referendum of 2016 following a personal visit by Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson, who promised greater flour subsidies to the influential Windy Miller to the tune of 350 shillings per year. This was promoted on Fireman Pugh`s fire engine (for which he was disciplined and given a final warning).

Farage confided in PC McGarry that he needn`t worry about anymore `darkies` coming to Trumpton, whilst Johnson cast a wanton eye over Mrs Lovelace - the village hat maker.

The vote caused a rift with remain-voting Chigley and Camberwick Green which still simmers to this day....
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 13:44]
Broken Again.... on 12:45 - Aug 23 with 59 viewsspell_chekker

Broken Again.... on 12:36 - Aug 23 by spudgun

Yep, there is considerable misunderstanding regarding this spell, which I will attempt to clarify.

Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley are all small villages in the tiny county of Trumptonshire, which snuggles idyllically between Oxfordshire and Berkshire. A throwback to a pastoral 1930`s England, not much happens of any real consequence and the world tends to go about its business with little regard to little Trumptonshire.

The only noteworthy occurance was the `Trumpton riots` in the summer of 1981, partly against Thatcher`s oppressive government policy on post office opening hours, and to a lesser extent because of the local tension between the police (PC McGarry) and the (imaginary) black community of Trumpton. It is believed that Chippy Minton and Mrs Honeyman were prominent in the uprising which was quickly suppressed by Captain Snort and the boys from the fort.

This was melodically documented (sort of) in the seminal Half-Man Half-Biscuit song `The Trumpton Riots`...

It is of note that Trumpton voted to leave the EU in the referendum of 2016 following a personal visit by Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson, who promised greater flour subsidies to the influential Windy Miller to the tune of 350 shillings per year. This was promoted on Fireman Pugh`s fire engine (for which he was disciplined and given a final warning).

Farage confided in PC McGarry that he needn`t worry about anymore `darkies` coming to Trumpton, whilst Johnson cast a wanton eye over Mrs Lovelace - the village hat maker.

The vote caused a rift with remain-voting Chigley and Camberwick Green which still simmers to this day....
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 13:44]

How could I forget Chigley?!

Broken Again.... on 13:01 - Aug 23 with 54 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Broken Again.... on 12:45 - Aug 23 by spell_chekker

How could I forget Chigley?!

for that Spud.

However here's what happened to Camberwick Green once the austerity cuts kicked in.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024