Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown UK 21:00 - Mar 23 with 837 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

What was just announced?

UK PM Boris Johnson has just announced a major ramping up of coronavirus measures.

Here are the major points of his speech:

From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” - shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”

People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with

Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”

Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings

All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close

Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close

All gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with - are banned

All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned

Funerals are not included in the new restrictions

Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed

Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Lockdown UK on 21:32 - Mar 23 with 535 viewsLala

It’s basically lockdown isn’t it.

Taken me an hour to get my head round it but we can do this 👍

Just booked a lovely cottage for a weekend for me and my family in October, 3 nights. You have to hope that’s allowed by then and it’s a positive focus in the meantime.

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/muker/9009953?m=20454&supag=6007493250

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Lockdown UK on 21:53 - Mar 23 with 525 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 21:32 - Mar 23 by Lala

It’s basically lockdown isn’t it.

Taken me an hour to get my head round it but we can do this 👍

Just booked a lovely cottage for a weekend for me and my family in October, 3 nights. You have to hope that’s allowed by then and it’s a positive focus in the meantime.

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/muker/9009953?m=20454&supag=6007493250

Not quite European standard though.

Not sure how they can enforce "People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with" or "one form of exercise a day".

Also can't understand why airports, ports and the channel tunnel are still open to travellers.

Pity I can't watch The Donald's briefing tonight, should be a classic after some of his tweets today.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 22:02]

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Lockdown UK on 22:17 - Mar 23 with 517 viewsLala

Lockdown UK on 21:53 - Mar 23 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Not quite European standard though.

Not sure how they can enforce "People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with" or "one form of exercise a day".

Also can't understand why airports, ports and the channel tunnel are still open to travellers.

Pity I can't watch The Donald's briefing tonight, should be a classic after some of his tweets today.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 22:02]

Enforcement will be interesting 🧐

You’d like to think most of us have the sense for that not to be needed. We live in hope 🤦‍♀️

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Lockdown UK on 07:49 - Mar 24 with 504 viewsspudgun

Lockdown UK on 22:17 - Mar 23 by Lala

Enforcement will be interesting 🧐

You’d like to think most of us have the sense for that not to be needed. We live in hope 🤦‍♀️

Even though Johnson dropped his `wiffle waffle` affectation, it wasn`t totally clear to me exactly which businesses were to be closed.

And there still doesn't appear to be any details online about the 80% government commitment to wages, nor any help for the self-employed.

And don`t get me started on what is happening at hospitals; the stories I`ve been told and cannot repeat are shameful and damning of the leadership in this country...
Lockdown UK on 07:58 - Mar 24 with 502 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 07:49 - Mar 24 by spudgun

Even though Johnson dropped his `wiffle waffle` affectation, it wasn`t totally clear to me exactly which businesses were to be closed.

And there still doesn't appear to be any details online about the 80% government commitment to wages, nor any help for the self-employed.

And don`t get me started on what is happening at hospitals; the stories I`ve been told and cannot repeat are shameful and damning of the leadership in this country...

After some confusion, the UK's housing minister posted this update. In short, builders can work if necessary - but must practise social distancing.

[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 8:16]

Lockdown UK on 08:29 - Mar 24 with 495 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 07:58 - Mar 24 by BringBackTheRedRoom

After some confusion, the UK's housing minister posted this update. In short, builders can work if necessary - but must practise social distancing.

[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 8:16]

Spud

From what I've read/heard Self Employed might get help from applying for Universal Credit. Think the Chancellor will announce it the week, once they finish working out how it will operate.

Lockdown UK on 08:59 - Mar 24 with 488 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 08:29 - Mar 24 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Spud

From what I've read/heard Self Employed might get help from applying for Universal Credit. Think the Chancellor will announce it the week, once they finish working out how it will operate.

Spud

Here's the Bill going through Parliament now

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/58-01/110/5801110.pdf

Lockdown UK on 09:05 - Mar 24 with 484 viewsspudgun

Lockdown UK on 08:59 - Mar 24 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Spud

Here's the Bill going through Parliament now

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/58-01/110/5801110.pdf

Yep thanks Red.

Doesn't really apply to me, but most of our customers are in that boat and have been fretting...
Login to get fewer ads

Lockdown UK on 09:10 - Mar 24 with 482 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 09:05 - Mar 24 by spudgun

Yep thanks Red.

Doesn't really apply to me, but most of our customers are in that boat and have been fretting...

TBH Spell, I've got you down as a cross between Tom Good, and The Lord of The Manor. 😜

Lockdown UK on 09:12 - Mar 24 with 479 viewsspudgun

Lockdown UK on 09:10 - Mar 24 by BringBackTheRedRoom

TBH Spell, I've got you down as a cross between Tom Good, and The Lord of The Manor. 😜

More Tom Waits and Lord of the Flies please...
Lockdown UK on 09:14 - Mar 24 with 478 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 09:10 - Mar 24 by BringBackTheRedRoom

UK children can visit separated parents - Gove

UK cabinet minister Michael Gove has been asked to provide more clarity on the government guidelines announced on Monday night.

Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme, he said:

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will outline more help for self-employed workers later

Deliveries of "non-essential" goods such as toys and clothes can continue

He says people should work from home "wherever possible" but there will be exceptions.

For example, he says plumbers may be called out to emergencies but Sports Direct stores "should not be open"

Ministers want to "reduce the rate of infection" and will follow scientific advice on whether or not to change the measures after three weeks

Children under the age of 18 can travel between the homes of separated parents - a point he reiterated on Twitter:

Mr Gove also addressed the question of whether people could visit elderly parents.

"The ideal thing to do is to maintain contact through social media. You can, of course, drop off items or groceries or other items that they request or need - if they're not in a position themselves to take a journey outside in order to shop."

He adds that the UK is rolling out a "network of support" for the most vulnerable.

Lockdown UK on 12:05 - Mar 24 with 470 viewsspell_chekker

Lockdown UK on 09:14 - Mar 24 by BringBackTheRedRoom

UK children can visit separated parents - Gove

UK cabinet minister Michael Gove has been asked to provide more clarity on the government guidelines announced on Monday night.

Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme, he said:

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will outline more help for self-employed workers later

Deliveries of "non-essential" goods such as toys and clothes can continue

He says people should work from home "wherever possible" but there will be exceptions.

For example, he says plumbers may be called out to emergencies but Sports Direct stores "should not be open"

Ministers want to "reduce the rate of infection" and will follow scientific advice on whether or not to change the measures after three weeks

Children under the age of 18 can travel between the homes of separated parents - a point he reiterated on Twitter:

Mr Gove also addressed the question of whether people could visit elderly parents.

"The ideal thing to do is to maintain contact through social media. You can, of course, drop off items or groceries or other items that they request or need - if they're not in a position themselves to take a journey outside in order to shop."

He adds that the UK is rolling out a "network of support" for the most vulnerable.

What about work, are people still going to work?

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Lockdown UK on 12:05 - Mar 24 with 469 viewsspell_chekker

Interesting about places of worship having to close.

I'm surprised.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Lockdown UK on 17:29 - Mar 26 with 444 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 12:05 - Mar 24 by spell_chekker

Interesting about places of worship having to close.

I'm surprised.

Self-employed workers will be able to apply for a grant of up to £2,500 a month to help them cope with the financial impact of coronavirus, the chancellor has announced.

The money will be paid in a single lump sum, but will not begin to arrive until the start of June at the earliest.

Rishi Sunak told the self-employed: "You have not been forgotten."

Plans for 80% wage subsidies for staff kept on by employers were announced last week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52053914

Think what the Chancellor said about after looking at this, that going forward everyone has to contribute in taxes or NI (or words to that effect) was interesting.

Lockdown UK on 19:18 - Mar 26 with 435 viewsspell_chekker

Lockdown UK on 17:29 - Mar 26 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Self-employed workers will be able to apply for a grant of up to £2,500 a month to help them cope with the financial impact of coronavirus, the chancellor has announced.

The money will be paid in a single lump sum, but will not begin to arrive until the start of June at the earliest.

Plans for 80% wage subsidies for staff kept on by employers were announced last week.

Think what the Chancellor said about after looking at this, that going forward everyone has to contribute in taxes or NI (or words to that effect) was interesting.

Shouldn't self employed be insured?

I'm split on this. After all, they've chosen their path and then want to fall back on the social system.

By definition, self employed have different obligations, rights, and potential rewards to salaried staff.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2020 19:19]

Lockdown UK on 19:25 - Mar 26 with 426 viewsspudgun

Lockdown UK on 17:29 - Mar 26 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Over Wyre report:

Sunshine all the way today, second consecutive outing for shorts - legs turning from winter blue back to white, and face red and blotchy from the sun. I look very patriotic.

Lots of walkers around the lanes last two days, much more than usual - everyone extremely polite and slightly subdued...
Lockdown UK on 06:52 - Mar 27 with 407 viewsspell_chekker

Lockdown UK on 19:25 - Mar 26 by spudgun

Over Wyre report:

Sunshine all the way today, second consecutive outing for shorts - legs turning from winter blue back to white, and face red and blotchy from the sun. I look very patriotic.

Lots of walkers around the lanes last two days, much more than usual - everyone extremely polite and slightly subdued...

Lockdown is all the more tolerable when the sun's out.

Of course, when the lockdown was announced, it didn't mean country lane walkers had to abide by it.

There's no way people like that would spread the virus around.

Lockdown UK on 10:35 - Mar 27 with 399 viewsspudgun

Lockdown UK on 06:52 - Mar 27 by spell_chekker

Lockdown is all the more tolerable when the sun's out.

Of course, when the lockdown was announced, it didn't mean country lane walkers had to abide by it.

There's no way people like that would spread the virus around.

Over Wyre early bulletin:

Bumped into an irate local whilst walking this morning who claimed the village is being overrun with walkers and cyclists, and she had told two "to f*** off home, as you`re not from round here!"

Looks like its beginning to turn a little Royston Vasey.

Updates throughout the day...
Lockdown UK on 10:38 - Mar 27 with 396 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Lockdown UK on 10:35 - Mar 27 by spudgun

Over Wyre early bulletin:

Bumped into an irate local whilst walking this morning who claimed the village is being overrun with walkers and cyclists, and she had told two "to f*** off home, as you`re not from round here!"

Looks like its beginning to turn a little Royston Vasey.

Updates throughout the day...

My Borough is now the 11th most affected in England. I'm pleasantly surprise we aren't higher, to be honest. d

We are staying in now until Sunday, when we will go shopping for fresh fruit and vegetables. Everything else largely under control due to my Missus being a bit of a clairvoyant.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Lockdown UK on 10:44 - Mar 27 with 390 viewsspudgun

Lockdown UK on 10:38 - Mar 27 by basilrobbiereborn

My Borough is now the 11th most affected in England. I'm pleasantly surprise we aren't higher, to be honest. d

We are staying in now until Sunday, when we will go shopping for fresh fruit and vegetables. Everything else largely under control due to my Missus being a bit of a clairvoyant.

Heard yesterday that the true death figures at a local hospital were being suppressed by the CEO to avoid further panic.
Lockdown UK on 10:49 - Mar 27 with 389 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 10:44 - Mar 27 by spudgun

Heard yesterday that the true death figures at a local hospital were being suppressed by the CEO to avoid further panic.

The Government figures are only for those tested who died in Hospital. They are not including deaths at nursing or care homes or general deaths in the population at large.

Got lucky with my shopping as usually only do a big one once a month online. Did this one about 4 days before the Lockdown. Already booked my slot for next month.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 10:54]

Lockdown UK on 15:52 - Mar 27 with 373 viewsspell_chekker

Lockdown UK on 10:49 - Mar 27 by BringBackTheRedRoom

The Government figures are only for those tested who died in Hospital. They are not including deaths at nursing or care homes or general deaths in the population at large.

Got lucky with my shopping as usually only do a big one once a month online. Did this one about 4 days before the Lockdown. Already booked my slot for next month.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 10:54]

Crikey for the spin on the death figures, I hope you're joking.

I've ot a bad feeling about the UK.

Perhaps not the biggest one but I'm concerned it may become one of the epicentres of the virus after the USA.

Lytham, Over Wyre, and is it Pimlico? All to become peoples' republics to ward off the carriers. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you heard it here first.

Lockdown UK on 16:31 - Mar 27 with 368 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Lockdown UK on 15:52 - Mar 27 by spell_chekker

Crikey for the spin on the death figures, I hope you're joking.

I've ot a bad feeling about the UK.

Perhaps not the biggest one but I'm concerned it may become one of the epicentres of the virus after the USA.

Lytham, Over Wyre, and is it Pimlico? All to become peoples' republics to ward off the carriers. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you heard it here first.

Pimlico is a nice place e, seriously nice. Adjacent to Belgravia, don't you know. We like to dine out there in more normal times.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Lockdown UK on 16:42 - Mar 27 with 363 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lockdown UK on 16:31 - Mar 27 by basilrobbiereborn

Pimlico is a nice place e, seriously nice. Adjacent to Belgravia, don't you know. We like to dine out there in more normal times.

Spell

Here's the tweet from yesterday

The sheer scale of this means they will probably, quite rightly only test patients first. Wider testing will just use up too many resources and staff (also a lack of testing kits) at the moment.

It's the same in a lot of countries around the world, saw the other day the French Health Minister saying their figures were only for Hospital Deaths.

They aren't fixing the figures, it's just people don't read or listen properly to what's being said.

PS

Today's tweet

[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 16:48]

Lockdown UK on 10:22 - Mar 28 with 336 viewsspell_chekker

Lockdown UK on 16:42 - Mar 27 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Spell

Here's the tweet from yesterday

The sheer scale of this means they will probably, quite rightly only test patients first. Wider testing will just use up too many resources and staff (also a lack of testing kits) at the moment.

It's the same in a lot of countries around the world, saw the other day the French Health Minister saying their figures were only for Hospital Deaths.

They aren't fixing the figures, it's just people don't read or listen properly to what's being said.

PS

Today's tweet

[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 16:48]

The thing about only hospital cases / deaths being counted is frightening.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024