Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Care homes 19:14 - Apr 28 with 825 viewsDorsetIan

At the start of this pandemic when 'herd immunity' was the only game in town, I heard a prof of epidemiology say that ideally (theoretically) all the vulnerable people would be taken to the north of scotland and isolated, and all the young and healthy people would be taken to Kent and given the virus to build the herd immunity - obviously impossible, but you can follow the logic.

So the question is this: how has it turned out that the UK's care homes - where a lot of the most vulnerable live - have become a significant breeding ground for this virus?

While deaths in hospitals have fallen, deaths in care homes have increased, and may still not be under control....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52455072

Not only, is it a complete tragedy that the most vulnerable have been quite so exposed but the fact that cares home are still virus incubators, is now hindering our escape from lockdown.

My guess is that it is this that will turn out to be the biggest 'fail' of our Corona efforts.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Care homes on 19:29 - Apr 28 with 813 viewsBicester_North

Same across most of the EU, not just the UK

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Care homes on 19:43 - Apr 28 with 804 viewsDorsetIan

Care homes on 19:29 - Apr 28 by Bicester_North

Same across most of the EU, not just the UK

Difficult to make direct comparisons but I agree, we are not the only ones with the problem. There's a comparative table on page 12 here which is not that much use to be honest.

https://ltccovid.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Mortality-associated-with-COVID-

Here, The Independent was reporting this as a problem about 2 weeks ago, but it only now seems to be grabbing the headlines, now that our figures are being released.

The real tragedy is that one can only guess that those dying in care homes have not had anything like the medical care that those dying in hospitals have.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024