Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rhys Norrington-Davies 14:42 - May 26 with 6473 viewsNorthernDale

What are the chances of keeping Rhys Norrington-Davies and also Luke Matherson on loan for next season or do think Sheffield United and Wolves will send them to other clubs.
Rhys Norrington-Davies on 13:26 - Jun 2 with 1816 viewsisitme

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 12:21 - Jun 2 by electricblue

As BBM signed Lynch as Lillis replacement or will there be another keeper coming!
Thus will Lynch want to be 2nd choice....

There are a few on here who where extremely surprised that wade was given a contract last summer so surely he as something about him to achieve that...

Wade looked okay last preseason and is probably a cheap bench option. He is probably a bit like Lynch a few inches smaller than you might like. Hopefully Wade will still be growing and will probably fill out a bit.
Rhys Norrington-Davies on 15:57 - Jun 2 with 1686 viewsChaffRAFC

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 13:14 - Jun 2 by boromat

Wade has been getting rave reviews from his appearances out on loan if that's anything to go by.

He's done well out on loan but he's been on loan at clubs several divisions below ourselves.

The club do obviously see big potential there to give him a three year deal.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 21:32 - Jun 2 with 1499 viewsboromat

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 15:57 - Jun 2 by ChaffRAFC

He's done well out on loan but he's been on loan at clubs several divisions below ourselves.

The club do obviously see big potential there to give him a three year deal.

Yep exactly. I also think Goalkeepers are a special case that in most instances don't develop into capable first teamers until maybe their early 20s. Offering such a long contract to a new pro must be quite a cost effective way of having a permanent 2nd choice.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 16:19 - Jun 3 with 1298 viewsD_Dale

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 12:09 - Jun 2 by TVOS1907

Because nobody wanted to sign a player who was out of contract six months later.

Yes, the management might think that....

And yet, Lillis had a big part in Dale's revival in March-April of the 2018-19 season.

If I've read Soccerbase rightly, BBM succeeded Hill on 4 March 2019. He continued to select Lonergan as keeper. When Lonergan moved on to Liverpool, he'd played 7 times for Dale from 9 February to 23 March 2019. He had one clean sheet, and Dale gained 7 points.

From 30 March to the last match of the season on 4 May, Lillis made 8 appearances, including 4 clean sheets. Dale won 13 points from those 8 matches.

It's hard to tell why BBM didn't rate a keeper who played some 300 league and cup games for Dale, and who had helped to secure our L1 status. It also seemed a little odd that BBM, who comes across as a level-headed, fair-dealing sort, gave no hints - as far as I recall - as to why Josh didn't feature (beyond those three appearances as a sub.).
Rhys Norrington-Davies on 16:26 - Jun 3 with 1282 viewsChaffRAFC

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 16:19 - Jun 3 by D_Dale

And yet, Lillis had a big part in Dale's revival in March-April of the 2018-19 season.

If I've read Soccerbase rightly, BBM succeeded Hill on 4 March 2019. He continued to select Lonergan as keeper. When Lonergan moved on to Liverpool, he'd played 7 times for Dale from 9 February to 23 March 2019. He had one clean sheet, and Dale gained 7 points.

From 30 March to the last match of the season on 4 May, Lillis made 8 appearances, including 4 clean sheets. Dale won 13 points from those 8 matches.

It's hard to tell why BBM didn't rate a keeper who played some 300 league and cup games for Dale, and who had helped to secure our L1 status. It also seemed a little odd that BBM, who comes across as a level-headed, fair-dealing sort, gave no hints - as far as I recall - as to why Josh didn't feature (beyond those three appearances as a sub.).

Vague recollection of BBM saying at the forum that Josh hadn't come back from pre-season in the right condition and he made it clear that he wasn't going to be his number one and he was free to look elsewhere.

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 17:09 - Jun 3 with 1246 viewsTVOS1907

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 16:19 - Jun 3 by D_Dale

But Soccerbase doesn't tell you what happened in front of the goalkeeper in terms of changes in personnel, formations and tactics. Clean sheets and goals conceded (and subsequent results) aren't the entire domain of the man between the sticks. As with all statistics, you need to give them some context.

When Lonergan left (returning to Middlesbrough; he didn't join Liverpool until the summer), it was either Lillis or Wade. BBM really didn't have much choice there.

Don't forget that BBM has also been a team-mate of Lillis and on the coaching staff, so it seems likely he has formed his opinion previously.

I'm not sure about this rumour that Lillis didn't come back after the summer in poor shape. He'd just got married (and if you'd seen his wife, I'm sure he had a very good summer) and has always come across as the consummate professional.

Like Chaff alluded to previously, I wonder if there is a contract clause that would trigger an extension, as happened with Sam Russell, which BBM simply didn't want to happen.

It's also obvious that he wanted a bigger goalkeeper and one who's good with his feet. Now Sanchez dropped some clangers, but he also won us points, particularly in that game at Rotherham in December.

There's nothing to say we would have been any better or worse off with Lillis in goal, but he clearly doesn't fit the way BBM wants to play.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 18:19 - Jun 3 with 1199 viewsChaffRAFC

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 17:09 - Jun 3 by TVOS1907

But Soccerbase doesn't tell you what happened in front of the goalkeeper in terms of changes in personnel, formations and tactics. Clean sheets and goals conceded (and subsequent results) aren't the entire domain of the man between the sticks. As with all statistics, you need to give them some context.

When Lonergan left (returning to Middlesbrough; he didn't join Liverpool until the summer), it was either Lillis or Wade. BBM really didn't have much choice there.

Don't forget that BBM has also been a team-mate of Lillis and on the coaching staff, so it seems likely he has formed his opinion previously.

I'm not sure about this rumour that Lillis didn't come back after the summer in poor shape. He'd just got married (and if you'd seen his wife, I'm sure he had a very good summer) and has always come across as the consummate professional.

Like Chaff alluded to previously, I wonder if there is a contract clause that would trigger an extension, as happened with Sam Russell, which BBM simply didn't want to happen.

It's also obvious that he wanted a bigger goalkeeper and one who's good with his feet. Now Sanchez dropped some clangers, but he also won us points, particularly in that game at Rotherham in December.

There's nothing to say we would have been any better or worse off with Lillis in goal, but he clearly doesn't fit the way BBM wants to play.

The point about BBM wanting a goalkeeper good with his feet is a very good one. Both Sanchez and Lynch were brought in by BBM as they were considered to be good distributors of the ball like your modern day sweeper keepers are.

I would argue Lillis would struggle with this and it may well have had a part in BBM's thinking of going in a different direction.

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 21:04 - Jun 3 with 1071 viewsBrierls

Chances of keeping RND: Zero
Chances of keeping Lillis: Zero

Anybody that thinks Lillis has (or should have) a future at the club need their head testing.

I think we’re going to struggle in the goalkeeping department. Lynch was brought in to be our no1 next season and good stand in for Bobby this season. I haven’t been overly impressed with Lynch but maybe he’ll settle in with a good run in the side.
Login to get fewer ads

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 21:34 - Jun 3 with 1028 viewsJames1980

Rhys Norrington-Davies on 21:04 - Jun 3 by Brierls

Chances of keeping RND: Zero
Chances of keeping Lillis: Zero

Anybody that thinks Lillis has (or should have) a future at the club need their head testing.

I think we’re going to struggle in the goalkeeping department. Lynch was brought in to be our no1 next season and good stand in for Bobby this season. I haven’t been overly impressed with Lynch but maybe he’ll settle in with a good run in the side.

Maybe we will sign a few more decent loanees from the Premier League to fill the gaps

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024