Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pandemic rules in Wales 08:36 - May 29 with 10362 viewslegoman

After folks views. Mrs L and I live in Bromley. Her parents who are both in their 80s live in Killay. My mum, also mid 80s, is resident in a care home in Sketty.

We note Wales' rules differ from England and we realise we can't travel to Swansea at the moment.

Assuming Welsh rules relax soon along the same lines as England, we will soon be allowed to travel and visit our parents by going into gardens and social distancing.

Now, my sister-in-law has a flat in the marina but lives in Chester with her husband. They are Jacks and visit every weekend there is a home game. They stay in the flat.

My question is, would Mrs L and I be allowed to travel to Swansea for a few days and stay in the flat (not when it's occupied)? I guess it's a situation akin to hiring an Airbnb and I believe they are not renting at the moment.

Views?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:39 - May 30 with 1331 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:34 - May 30 by exhmrc1

I think there are far too many who are only too unhappy to slag off the Wag whatever it does but in this case the evidence is supporting that their actions have been correct unlike other issues. The fact that there were no new cases yesterday in Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Blaenau Gwent or Torfaen, 1 in Monmouthshire and there were only 2 cases each in Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Powys. There were 3 in Merthyr Tydfil and 4 each in Newport and Vale of Glamorgan and 8 in Cardiff. The vast majority of South Wales is coming under control but North Wales and RCT has someway to go.

The WG is obviously in charge in London as well then. As we have again have very, very low figures.

Anyway - let’s hope the whole of the UK sees this fall away and no lasting second spikes of this.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:06 - May 30 with 1304 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:39 - May 30 by londonlisa2001

The WG is obviously in charge in London as well then. As we have again have very, very low figures.

Anyway - let’s hope the whole of the UK sees this fall away and no lasting second spikes of this.

It isnt working in areas away from London and yet Boris is encouraging schools and shops opening in those areas. The UK government is meant to represent the UK or certainly all of England. Instead it is doing what is right for you in London and other areas are just being told to follow irrespective of the consequences. People in the North of England have been expressing concerns over people being allowed to travel anywhere. Barrow in Furness is currently having problems. So is Weston.

The latest one from the whole of the UK is to stop English students coming to study in Wales this year in order to protect English university numbers. Government of the UK they said.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:16 - May 30 with 1266 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 13:06 - May 30 by exhmrc1

It isnt working in areas away from London and yet Boris is encouraging schools and shops opening in those areas. The UK government is meant to represent the UK or certainly all of England. Instead it is doing what is right for you in London and other areas are just being told to follow irrespective of the consequences. People in the North of England have been expressing concerns over people being allowed to travel anywhere. Barrow in Furness is currently having problems. So is Weston.

The latest one from the whole of the UK is to stop English students coming to study in Wales this year in order to protect English university numbers. Government of the UK they said.

We have the same shops open as in Wales.

Our other shops may open on June 15th, which is a couple of days earlier than Wales is saying (3 weeks from yesterday is what Drakeford said).

Other areas are not being told to follow irrespective of consequences. The schools are being told they should look to open as soon as they feel they safely can do so. Many aren’t opening next week. It’s up to each local authority. We have lots in London that aren’t fully opening. Those that are are doing so with only a few extra pupils as have been attending throughout. Wales has had schools open throughout as well. I have family who have taught in them.

No idea what is or isn’t happening in universities. Most aren’t fully opening until next year I believe.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:04 - May 30 with 1242 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 14:16 - May 30 by londonlisa2001

We have the same shops open as in Wales.

Our other shops may open on June 15th, which is a couple of days earlier than Wales is saying (3 weeks from yesterday is what Drakeford said).

Other areas are not being told to follow irrespective of consequences. The schools are being told they should look to open as soon as they feel they safely can do so. Many aren’t opening next week. It’s up to each local authority. We have lots in London that aren’t fully opening. Those that are are doing so with only a few extra pupils as have been attending throughout. Wales has had schools open throughout as well. I have family who have taught in them.

No idea what is or isn’t happening in universities. Most aren’t fully opening until next year I believe.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/education/uk-government-plans-limit-number-18
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:21 - May 30 with 1236 viewsCatullus

Pandemic rules in Wales on 12:34 - May 30 by exhmrc1

I think there are far too many who are only too unhappy to slag off the Wag whatever it does but in this case the evidence is supporting that their actions have been correct unlike other issues. The fact that there were no new cases yesterday in Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Blaenau Gwent or Torfaen, 1 in Monmouthshire and there were only 2 cases each in Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Powys. There were 3 in Merthyr Tydfil and 4 each in Newport and Vale of Glamorgan and 8 in Cardiff. The vast majority of South Wales is coming under control but North Wales and RCT has someway to go.

How many have we tested? Saying 'no new cases' isn't a fact, it's an assumption because we can't possibly know there were zero new cases.

A lot of truths about this time in our lives will only be seen with hindsight, things we think true right now will be changed/adjusted/spun so we'll never know the full truth.
However, the evidence of my own eyes tells me very many people are breaking the social distancing rules, if that's true everywhere the probability is there are new cases in places we think there are none.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:30 - May 30 with 1222 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:04 - May 30 by exhmrc1

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/education/uk-government-plans-limit-number-18

Strikes me as absolutely ridiculous and wrong. What about the kids that want to attend Swansea because of their strength in a certain area? They’re going to tell them they can’t? Be interesting to see whether it actually happens and if so what Wales’ response is. They can’t do it the other way round.

This is where the devolution bit falls apart. Not because there’s devolution in Wales (which I support) but because there isn’t in England, so it’s the ‘UK’ government when it’s actually not. It’s the English government when it comes to education. Same with health.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:39 - May 30 with 1209 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:21 - May 30 by Catullus

How many have we tested? Saying 'no new cases' isn't a fact, it's an assumption because we can't possibly know there were zero new cases.

A lot of truths about this time in our lives will only be seen with hindsight, things we think true right now will be changed/adjusted/spun so we'll never know the full truth.
However, the evidence of my own eyes tells me very many people are breaking the social distancing rules, if that's true everywhere the probability is there are new cases in places we think there are none.

Swansea had 151 tests day before yesterday 2 new cases. 122 tests yesterday no positive cases. Neath Port Talbot had 135 tests 1 positive case yesterday. Carmarthenshire 138 tests no positive cases and Pembrokeshire 165 tests no positive cases. so out of over 500 tests yesterday there was 1 positive case. The evidence shows that even as the number of tests have increased the positive figures have fallen.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:39 - May 30 with 1209 viewsexiledclaseboy

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:30 - May 30 by londonlisa2001

Strikes me as absolutely ridiculous and wrong. What about the kids that want to attend Swansea because of their strength in a certain area? They’re going to tell them they can’t? Be interesting to see whether it actually happens and if so what Wales’ response is. They can’t do it the other way round.

This is where the devolution bit falls apart. Not because there’s devolution in Wales (which I support) but because there isn’t in England, so it’s the ‘UK’ government when it’s actually not. It’s the English government when it comes to education. Same with health.

That last para is bang on, it’s always been a fatal flaw in devolution. England needs its own parliament as the four nations become more federalised.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:44 - May 30 with 1202 viewsCatullus

I agree on devolution, if we want it then England must have it's own version and Wetsminster must be downsized. The current devolved admins then send their own reps to Westminster and they carry a percentage vote based on population with the UK being split into regions like the European parliament. More like a federal system I guess.

We might have been better off because it would have watered down Bojo's powers! Mind you it also might mean more powers for the Senedd/WP/WG (rake your pick) so does that need a referendum?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:45 - May 30 with 1201 viewsexiledclaseboy

Quite a few science types breaking ranks today and saying that lockdown restrictions are being lifted recklessly quickly. No wonder Johnson is keeping Whitty and Vallance as quiet as possible.

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:56 - May 30 with 1190 viewsCatullus

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:39 - May 30 by exhmrc1

Swansea had 151 tests day before yesterday 2 new cases. 122 tests yesterday no positive cases. Neath Port Talbot had 135 tests 1 positive case yesterday. Carmarthenshire 138 tests no positive cases and Pembrokeshire 165 tests no positive cases. so out of over 500 tests yesterday there was 1 positive case. The evidence shows that even as the number of tests have increased the positive figures have fallen.

So 1 in 500 yesterday, so there could be (if those figures are an accurate representation of infection) over 600 new cases in Wales? Who were tested? Was it only frontline NHS staff and care home workers? How many members of the public were tested? Because NHS and care home staff have PPE.

Before claiming anything as fact we need all the information.

PS, I will always have more questions, it's what I do

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:58 - May 30 with 1190 viewsexhmrc1

I agree with you about it being ridiculous and wrong. Boris has claimed he would represent the whole UK and this isnt doing that. On another issue I think Kirsty Williams has been an outstanding education minister even if she comes from another party. Vastly superior to Leighton Andrews who brought in the Welsh Bac which some English universities dont accept. He is as bad as Gove.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:58 - May 30 with 1190 viewslifelong

Just got back from my walk down to Loughor Estuary, loads of people about, half a dozen jet skis wizzing about, quite a few fishing both sides, a bunch of people having a BBQ etc.
Doesn’t feel like a lockdown to me.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:59 - May 30 with 1187 viewsairedale

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:39 - May 30 by exiledclaseboy

That last para is bang on, it’s always been a fatal flaw in devolution. England needs its own parliament as the four nations become more federalised.

I seem to remember, back in the day, that they were going to have regional assemblies in England. I think I remember that one would be based in Leeds for example. Presumably another one for Manchester/Liverpool, Birmingham, London and what have you?
Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:00 - May 30 with 1185 viewskrunchykarrot

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:45 - May 30 by exiledclaseboy

Quite a few science types breaking ranks today and saying that lockdown restrictions are being lifted recklessly quickly. No wonder Johnson is keeping Whitty and Vallance as quiet as possible.

How is he keeping them quiet, i missed that.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:01 - May 30 with 1182 viewsexiledclaseboy

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:00 - May 30 by krunchykarrot

How is he keeping them quiet, i missed that.

They’ve only done one of the daily briefings in the last week or so I think. And then he wouldn’t let them answer some of the questions.

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:07 - May 30 with 1175 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:56 - May 30 by Catullus

So 1 in 500 yesterday, so there could be (if those figures are an accurate representation of infection) over 600 new cases in Wales? Who were tested? Was it only frontline NHS staff and care home workers? How many members of the public were tested? Because NHS and care home staff have PPE.

Before claiming anything as fact we need all the information.

PS, I will always have more questions, it's what I do

You could effectively test every individual in Wales but it really wont matter. The fact is the figures have dropped hugely. In a couple of days in early April there was 72 positive cases in the Swansea Bay area out of 155 tests ie approx. 1/2 tested positive. Yesterday there was 1 out of nearly 260 cases in the same area. The fact is the number has dropped hugely in the area and yesterday there was 1 positive test between Margam and Aberystwyth.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:12 - May 30 with 1169 viewskrunchykarrot

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:01 - May 30 by exiledclaseboy

They’ve only done one of the daily briefings in the last week or so I think. And then he wouldn’t let them answer some of the questions.

You must have misheard or missed the reply then, Bojo did try to deflect but Sam Coates of Sky asked for a nod or a wink. Both replied fully check it out.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:20 - May 30 with 1164 viewsSwanjaxs

Your lucky you live in England mind!

This extended lockdown in Wales is causing major issues 😳

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:22 - May 30 with 1160 viewsCatullus

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:07 - May 30 by exhmrc1

You could effectively test every individual in Wales but it really wont matter. The fact is the figures have dropped hugely. In a couple of days in early April there was 72 positive cases in the Swansea Bay area out of 155 tests ie approx. 1/2 tested positive. Yesterday there was 1 out of nearly 260 cases in the same area. The fact is the number has dropped hugely in the area and yesterday there was 1 positive test between Margam and Aberystwyth.

If we are only testing NHS and care workers it distorts the true picture because they have PPE that was sorely missing or substandard in early April.
If we tested ever single person in Wales it would matter because then we would know exactly how many cases, new or otherwise, we had. Any who tested positive could then go through contact tracing and be made to isolate.

Things may be as good as you say but right now it's only an assumption. Dropping our guard now would be wrong. Apparently we can process over 5000 tests per day and want to increase it to 10000, so why are we only doing 500?

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:29 - May 30 with 1151 viewsexhmrc1

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:22 - May 30 by Catullus

If we are only testing NHS and care workers it distorts the true picture because they have PPE that was sorely missing or substandard in early April.
If we tested ever single person in Wales it would matter because then we would know exactly how many cases, new or otherwise, we had. Any who tested positive could then go through contact tracing and be made to isolate.

Things may be as good as you say but right now it's only an assumption. Dropping our guard now would be wrong. Apparently we can process over 5000 tests per day and want to increase it to 10000, so why are we only doing 500?

500 is the local figure the actual number of tests in Wales yesterday was far higher. It is senseless just testing everyone as nearly all will just be negative. Far better to test people with symptoms or people exposed to it like Doctors and Nurses who are more likely to get it. The likelyhood is if they test more people the percentage would be far lower.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:30 - May 30 with 1148 viewsKilkennyjack

Pandemic rules in Wales on 16:07 - May 30 by exhmrc1

Uk together pretty dreadful, but ‘England only’ is the worst.

Well done Professor Drakeford.
Zero new cases In Swansea today. 👏
[Post edited 30 May 2020 16:33]

Beware of the Risen People

Pandemic rules in Wales on 17:00 - May 30 with 1126 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:45 - May 30 by exiledclaseboy

If Whitty and Vallance don’t agree with lifting shop restrictions in 2 weeks, or with advising schools to start opening on Monday, they have to publicly say so. They should also say if they disagree with the whole BBQs in gardens bit (which all 4 nations are allowing from Monday, Scotland from yesterday I think, and is the bit that seems to me, most fraught with danger as after a few drinks, no one is going to not use the toilet, pass stuff to each other etc etc).

It’s simply not acceptable for them to hide away.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 17:05 - May 30 with 1120 viewslondonlisa2001

Pandemic rules in Wales on 15:58 - May 30 by exhmrc1

I agree with you about it being ridiculous and wrong. Boris has claimed he would represent the whole UK and this isnt doing that. On another issue I think Kirsty Williams has been an outstanding education minister even if she comes from another party. Vastly superior to Leighton Andrews who brought in the Welsh Bac which some English universities dont accept. He is as bad as Gove.

Anyone that thought Boris would represent anyone other than himself and a few chums simply wasn’t paying attention.

But I argued long and hard against him, said he was an utter arse, lazy, disinterested, intellectually suspect, morally bankrupt, so can’t be bothered with complaints from those who voted for the prat. Particularly in the North of England. He’s exactly what he was going to be. Everyone knew it. And now we all have to live with it. Half the areas who are moaning loudest voted for him. Because of Brexit. More fool them.
Pandemic rules in Wales on 17:10 - May 30 with 1109 viewsdickythorpe

Good news, people have listened down here

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/18486010.no-new-coronavirus-cases-hywel-
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024