Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harper’s Law 15:31 - Aug 24 with 793 viewsSadoldgit

PC Harper’s widow is trying to get the law changed so that anyone convicted of murdering a member of the emergency services will receive a mandatory life sentence. Whilst I have every sympathy for her cause and totally agree that those convicted of her husband’s death all received lenient sentences, I am not sure that we should differentiate between emergency service personal and “ordinary” people. Should one life be seen as more important just because of a career choice.

I am all for longer sentences for murder, but for all and not just a select few.

I suppose you could argue that service personal are more likely to be exposed to dangerous people in perilous situations, but I struggle with the concept of placing different values on lives.

Thoughts?
Harper’s Law on 16:15 - Aug 24 with 762 viewsJaySaint

I guess if you want people to willingly put themselves in harms way (so others do not have to), anyone who purposely kills them in that duty has no place in society.

if PC harper had been tragically killed whilst on his day off, that is different.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Harper’s Law on 18:24 - Aug 24 with 686 viewsSaintNick

I have every sympathy with his family and found the attitude and behaviour in court of those convicted deplorable. I certainly want to see them punished.

But you have got a couple of points wrong, those convicted were found guilty of manslaughter not Murder, PC Harpers widow is trying to get anyone convicted of "Killing" a police officer a mandatory life sentence not only murders.

This is a big issue in that for instance you are having a minor altercation in the street and a police officer intervenes and you accidentally knock him over he hits his head and dies then you are facing a life sentence.

I think that any punishment should fit the crime, I wouldn't argue with murder carrying a mandatory life sentence, but manslaughter isn't murder, it is causing death by accident so to speak ie not pre meditated.

So in my mind on one hand I would welcome his killers getting life sentences as they are up the high end of the scale, it is a dangerous precedent we set if we make accidental death mandatory

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Harper’s Law on 19:18 - Aug 24 with 639 viewsSadoldgit

I only caught a bit of the news report so thank you for correcting me Nick.
In the case you describe I imagine that we are talking about a manslaughter charge as there is no intent to kill (something I address in a separate thread). Manslaughter already carries a maximum sentence of life so the judge has that option already. I think his widow is upset that they were found guilty of manslaughter rather than murder and it is right IMHO, that there is a difference. No one should be putting their hands on anybody else, least of all emergency personal, but a mandatory life sentence for accidental killing would be very harsh.

The main issue in this for me is though, should we treat assaults on emergency personal differently to everyone else?
Harper’s Law on 22:46 - Aug 24 with 564 viewsKRAZYB

I understand why many say that police for example choose to play that role. I know that they can face a lot more violence nowadays because they are part of the authority. Marches often end with attacks on the emergency personnel.

So I think harsher sentences on attackers of frontline service people should be more severely punished.

I also believe many crimes should be looked at for possible loner terms of imprisonment.
Harper’s Law on 09:12 - Aug 25 with 486 viewsgeezershoong1

Harper’s Law on 19:18 - Aug 24 by Sadoldgit

I only caught a bit of the news report so thank you for correcting me Nick.
In the case you describe I imagine that we are talking about a manslaughter charge as there is no intent to kill (something I address in a separate thread). Manslaughter already carries a maximum sentence of life so the judge has that option already. I think his widow is upset that they were found guilty of manslaughter rather than murder and it is right IMHO, that there is a difference. No one should be putting their hands on anybody else, least of all emergency personal, but a mandatory life sentence for accidental killing would be very harsh.

The main issue in this for me is though, should we treat assaults on emergency personal differently to everyone else?

If you didn't know that the charge was manslaughter and don't really know the difference between manslaughter and murder, maybe you should do your research first.

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Harper’s Law on 10:11 - Aug 25 with 463 viewsSadoldgit

Harper’s Law on 09:12 - Aug 25 by geezershoong1

If you didn't know that the charge was manslaughter and don't really know the difference between manslaughter and murder, maybe you should do your research first.

I do. But thanks for your useful contribution to this thread.
Harper’s Law on 12:12 - Aug 25 with 426 viewsgeezershoong1

Harper’s Law on 10:11 - Aug 25 by Sadoldgit

I do. But thanks for your useful contribution to this thread.

No problem - look forward to your usual political bollox soon.

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Harper’s Law on 13:06 - Aug 25 with 408 viewsKRAZYB

Guess you missed his point then.
Login to get fewer ads

Harper’s Law on 14:40 - Aug 25 with 392 viewsSadoldgit

Harper’s Law on 12:12 - Aug 25 by geezershoong1

No problem - look forward to your usual political bollox soon.

That’s the spirit! 👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024