Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The sobering morning after 04:59 - Apr 19 with 2100 viewsBuenosSaint

Well. That was spineless, gutless and frankly downright disrespectful to the fans.

Nick said to be positive (good he added if only for a day). I was prepared to forgive it all. The 9-0 twice, shambolic performances in 2021, disgraceful performances against Newcastle and west brom , terrible substitutions etc etc. We could go on and on and on.

I wanted to support, scream and shout as if I was at Wembley yesterday and was all geared up for it but they gave us nothing. NOTHING. I was even prepared to lose, as long as they turned up but, frankly they hadn't even left the SO postcode.

What's happened to our club, the game, . I'll support saints till I die but I'm not prepared to give my passion and soul to sfc anymore. My relationship to them is going to become like that for Hampshire CC. Great if they win. Not bothered if they lose. The players displayed apathy, I'm going to be apathetic in return.
Do I want Ralph to stay? Don't care anymore. Will I watch Wednesday game? If there is nothing better to do.

We Meh On.

Poll: The Long Future

The sobering morning after on 08:34 - Apr 19 with 1938 viewsstmichael

Reflects my feelings too.
Apathy towards my club and professional football.
Very little interest if Ralph or Ings or anyone of them stays or goes.
If they don’t care why should I ?

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

The sobering morning after on 09:10 - Apr 19 with 1866 viewsNewdawn2014

I like to think if things were normal and we had fans in the stadium that the team would have put on a better display , I keep telling myself that anyway , after most games.
The sobering morning after on 09:20 - Apr 19 with 1838 viewsMeonsaint

Totally agree Buenos. Feeling extremely deflated this morning. Need a fooking big brush to sweep out the dead wood in our club from top to bottom. What with the European Super League breakaway news yesterday, along with our pathetic performance yesterday, traffic bad again because the kids are back at school. All I need now is some demanding customer being rude to me and they will get it.... full barrels.
The sobering morning after on 09:57 - Apr 19 with 1764 viewsdirk_doone

I think both the manager and players cared a lot - perhaps even too much. They were killed by nerves. At half-time, the gameplan to stifle the game against a better team was working. Without that one mistake by Bednarek, we might well have kept the game scoreless and won on penalties, which, let's face it, was just about the best we could realistically hope for. If you'd asked neutrals before the game and even many Saints fans what they expected the result to be, they'd have said a big win to Leicester.

Leicester have wealthy, ambitious owners and that's why they have better players than we do. Simple as that. They buy players in the £30 mill + bracket whereas Ralph has been told he can't buy players who cost more than £10 mill. In the last 5 years Leicester's net spend on players is £100 mill more than ours and that shows.

The only other Premier League team with a minus net spend like ours over the last 5 years is Sheffield United.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:08]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The sobering morning after on 10:31 - Apr 19 with 1682 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t think it was a gutless performance, more like guileless. I agree with the previous post that we were trying to keep things tight. Once they got their goal we actually loosened up a bit and started to play for a while but Leicester defended well and seemed to be able to kick us at will. When you have little money recruitment is key. We can’t afford to buy ready made Prem players as Leicester do so we have the likes of Diallo who will get there eventually but isn’t quite the real deal yet. It wasn’t a great game. Only one shot on target from both sides tells its own story. It’s a shame that Romeu was out. We look too lightweight in midfield without him. The talent production line in the academy has dried up and we are desperate for some quality to come in and strengthen the squad. Until we get some substantial investment we will struggle, no matter who the manager is.
The sobering morning after on 10:40 - Apr 19 with 1671 viewsPaleRider

There is something rotten at the club from top to bottom (probably with the exception of the women's team, who beat a club two leagues above them in the FA Cup on Sunday). The owner is not fit for purpose, the players are mediocre, gutless and spineless, the manager is a one-trick pony and recruitment is pathetic, as is the academy at the moment.

This is not bed-wetting but week in week out in 2021 Saints have been poor. I can forgive losing matches but I can't forgive the regular lack of effort and pride.

I'll always support Saints but I won't make excuses - we are an embarrassment at the moment.
The sobering morning after on 11:00 - Apr 19 with 1645 viewsbarry_sanchez

That 90 mins sums up Southampton FC perfectly, dour, grey and shite, if we were a day we'd be Sunday with some grass cutting in the morning and washing the allegro on the driveway in the afternoon in our corduroys............

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

The sobering morning after on 21:01 - Apr 19 with 1455 viewsSadoldgit

Just to add salt to the wound, the under 23’s have just lost 7-1 to Leicester.
Login to get fewer ads

The sobering morning after on 21:21 - Apr 19 with 1424 views1885_SFC

The sobering morning after on 21:01 - Apr 19 by Sadoldgit

Well I guess the youth team should be mirroring the senior team.

*sigh

Old School is Cool

The sobering morning after on 22:04 - Apr 19 with 1384 viewskingslandstand1

The sobering morning after on 21:01 - Apr 19 by Sadoldgit

The women's team beat Lewis in the Women's FA Cup so not all bad news
The sobering morning after on 07:35 - Apr 20 with 1316 viewsBuenosSaint

The sobering morning after on 09:57 - Apr 19 by dirk_doone

I think both the manager and players cared a lot - perhaps even too much. They were killed by nerves. At half-time, the gameplan to stifle the game against a better team was working. Without that one mistake by Bednarek, we might well have kept the game scoreless and won on penalties, which, let's face it, was just about the best we could realistically hope for. If you'd asked neutrals before the game and even many Saints fans what they expected the result to be, they'd have said a big win to Leicester.

Leicester have wealthy, ambitious owners and that's why they have better players than we do. Simple as that. They buy players in the £30 mill + bracket whereas Ralph has been told he can't buy players who cost more than £10 mill. In the last 5 years Leicester's net spend on players is £100 mill more than ours and that shows.

The only other Premier League team with a minus net spend like ours over the last 5 years is Sheffield United.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 10:08]

Hmmm. This is a really measured and balanced response. Thanks Dirk.

I get what you are saying but Is still the manner of defeat for me. We can always defend sfc and find excuses ( like the west brom game) but at some point, enough is enough.

I guess I pinned too much hope on this game, cared too much , (like you said )and am still hurting. It's going to take something monumental over a least a new complete season or two or me to change my stance now. Maybe the new general reforms could be the start of that.

Poll: The Long Future

The sobering morning after on 16:36 - Apr 20 with 1217 viewsTinman

That's about how I feel Buenos.
After a very promising post lockdown resumption of last season when if you looked at results in that period we were in the top 2 or 3 as I recall, followed by a promising start to this one and tipping the table briefly, it has been a steady decline since.

If it wasn't for the good start we would be in the relegation zone. For so many years we dodged relegation then when we went down I learnt that the world still turned and my heart was still beating. Dire times off the pitch but then looked what happened.

Performances (or is it lack of tactics/effort/heart) since we topped the premiership have reignited an apathy in my like you mention. I have found myself taking a morbid sort of joy in seeing us slip another place down the league, then another. Might be stoned for heresy for admitting it, and I don't actually want to be relegated but there it is.

It's like the England national team - over the years I went from watching every game including friendlies to not bothering with friendlies, then not even bothering with qualifiers as they were played by precious premiership delicates who probably joined the England camp with their chairman having put a flea in their ear about not getting injured. Now I don't even fancy watching group stages. I'll probably get sucked in again with the Euros though - and regret it.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.
When I was in my 20s I kept meeting retired chaps who said they used to like football but couldn't be bothered nowadays as the game had changed so much. What you start with is normal and it all goes downhill from there - especially when things like the super league pop up, but that's for another thread.

Sincerely

A grumpy old so-and-so
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024