Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? 09:05 - Jul 8 with 4699 viewsncfc_chalky

I was five and have very vague recollections of the celebrations afterwards more than the game itself but been assured that I watched it on a black n white TV,was anybody actually there?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 23:22 - Jul 8 with 888 viewsmingthemerciless

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 22:11 - Jul 8 by DiddyDave

You could get a 3, 4, 7 or 10 ticket deal,the 7 and 10 ticket ones guaranteeing the final. I only got a 3 ticket one for Old Trafford cos I only wanted to see Brazil who were in the group alongside Hungary, Portugal and another European team that I can`t recall. But Brazil played all their games at Goodison, so I gave my tickets to a mate and went to Butlins at Pwllelli with the lads. I got home the day England beat the Argies, mum said there was a letter for me and it basically said because I`d already bought tickets I`d been drawn to go to the final the following Saturday and if I wanted to go, send a ten bob postal order before Wednesday. My mate Colin also got the same letter, so we ummed and aghed about it, thought bugger it, we ain`t doing owt so might as well. Of course we didn`t know who would be in the final cos the semis were on during the week, England v Portugal and West Germany v Russia. The tickets arrived on the Wednesday and the rest is history. Glad we went now, but it really was a toss of the coin decision.

The other team in that group was Bulgaria.

Brazil used Manchester Ship Canal’s ground to train on. Their team was in the same League as TBA’s first team. As a thank you Brazil handed out free tickets to some games. That’s how they trickled down to us. I could have had a free ticket for the Bulgaria v Hungary game but I’d something else on that night and my pals went. There wasn’t the level of interest in the games that there is today.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 23:34 - Jul 8 with 863 viewsdownunder

First football game I remember was the N.Korea v Portugal game. 3-5 result, and for some reason the white walls, with a curve behind the goals, stick in my memory. I was 9 at the time.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 23:53 - Jul 8 with 845 viewsJames1980

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 22:11 - Jul 8 by DiddyDave

You could get a 3, 4, 7 or 10 ticket deal,the 7 and 10 ticket ones guaranteeing the final. I only got a 3 ticket one for Old Trafford cos I only wanted to see Brazil who were in the group alongside Hungary, Portugal and another European team that I can`t recall. But Brazil played all their games at Goodison, so I gave my tickets to a mate and went to Butlins at Pwllelli with the lads. I got home the day England beat the Argies, mum said there was a letter for me and it basically said because I`d already bought tickets I`d been drawn to go to the final the following Saturday and if I wanted to go, send a ten bob postal order before Wednesday. My mate Colin also got the same letter, so we ummed and aghed about it, thought bugger it, we ain`t doing owt so might as well. Of course we didn`t know who would be in the final cos the semis were on during the week, England v Portugal and West Germany v Russia. The tickets arrived on the Wednesday and the rest is history. Glad we went now, but it really was a toss of the coin decision.

Wow what an amazing experience that must have been.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 00:52 - Jul 9 with 823 viewsDiddyDave

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 23:53 - Jul 8 by James1980

Wow what an amazing experience that must have been.

A week after the WC Final, being a mad United supporter at the time, I went up to Glasgow to see them play Celtic at Parkhead in a pre season friendly in front of 65,000 mad screaming Jocks. Luckily (for us) Celtic won 4-1 and we got out alive and they went on to win the European Cup with a fantastic side that season, so glad I went to that game too.
I only mention it because on the way home on the chara, those who had transistor radios tuned in to the Ali/Brian London World Title fight at Earls Court. Brian, who passed away the other day, was no match for Ali and was duly dispatched in the third round. Funny how you remember things like that, but the sixties were a fabulous time for me. The football rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester was at its fiercest as was the music though I was always a fan of Motown. I managed to get arrested at Piccadilly Station coming back from a game at Sheff Wed one Saturday night, pissed as a parrot. Arthur Daley was with us, but sensibly didn`t open his mouth like I did. They chucked four of us into a black mariah, PC Christopher Jones giving us the bash till we got to Manchester Central cop shop. "I`ll give you we are the champions", he says! Ha ha, what a laugh, we all got fined a fiver with two pound costs by some silly owd fart on the bench.
Sorry for my self indulgence, but eeee, them were the days.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 08:30 - Jul 9 with 721 viewselectricblue

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 13:43 - Jul 8 by DiddyDave

I started work at Rediffusion in August 1965 straight from school. Colour was just coming in then, but only on BBC2. There were a lot of teething troubles as there always is with new fangle mediums, one of which was trying to get a decent signal from the big television mast on the hill near Bolton (Winter Hill?). Anyway, as a lot of you may remember, the Reddy had wired vision in all the new council estates, Smallbridge, Ashfield Valley, Falinge, a couple more that I can`t recall and in all the older estates, Kirkholt, Turf Hill, Belfield, Wallbank, etc, and when it was working as it should the picture was good. I can`t recall when the other two channels went out in colour, maybe the late 60s, but that`s why the game was only shown in black and white that day.

Rediffusion is that the company who provided tvs that you put money into the slot for them to work........

I do remember those tvs.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 10:53 - Jul 9 with 648 viewsDiddyDave

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 08:30 - Jul 9 by electricblue

Rediffusion is that the company who provided tvs that you put money into the slot for them to work........

I never installed any of those and I never saw any when we upgraded old ones or did a disconnection. People used to get us mixed up with Radio Rentals so it may`ve been them.
Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 11:00 - Jul 9 with 642 viewsdiver

Who's old enough to have watched the last final in '66? on 08:30 - Jul 9 by electricblue

Watched game on 12inch Ferguson which had a switch on the back if you wanted to watch ITV !! still remember advert for Ferguson sets “Fine sets these Ferguson’s”with smug pipe smoking chap
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024