Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ted Bates statue 10:07 - Jan 20 with 5028 viewsgeezershoong1

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19861185.saints-southampton-football-club-remov

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Ted Bates statue on 08:41 - Jan 22 with 1328 viewsPoirot

Ted Bates statue on 18:03 - Jan 21 by pjt50

If the complaint about Higgins in 1974 was suppressed, it certainly didn't "remove the danger of abuse from any more young players". In fact it gave him the opportunity to carry on doing the same things at Saints and elsewhere for another 20 years.

Things were only a bit different then because it was easier to keep things under wraps. Abuse is an abhorrent crime now and it was equally abhorrent 50 years ago.

There is no evidence of it being 'suppressed' and nobody else at the club even knew anything about this complaint.
Ted Bates statue on 09:39 - Jan 22 with 1287 viewsNumber_58

It doesn't really matter what any of us think, surely it should be the poor victims who decide if the statue comes down. If they believe that Ted Bates in some way contributed to their ordeal, and it's removal provides a degree of closure, then the statue should probably be removed. If not, then it should stay.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2022 9:56]
Ted Bates statue on 10:42 - Jan 22 with 1256 viewsSadoldgit

Not sure what to make of this. On the one hand I agree that the victims needs should be taken into account, on the other hand if you look at the lives of everyone on a plinth you are bound to find some negative things. Did Ted turn a blind eye or did he just think it was salacious gossip? That we will never know. Should he have done more? Yes. The same can be said for those who knew or suspected the activities of the likes of Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter etc. Apart from this there was an awful lot of statutory rape going on by very public figures - David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Bill Wyman, John Peel to name just a few. Different times although that doesn’t let those who knew about this and did nothing off the hook. It seems harsh to make a scapegoat out of one of many, especially as he did so much good for the club and Southampton. On the other hand, I might feel differently if I was one of the victims and felt he did nothing to help me.
Ted Bates statue on 11:13 - Jan 22 with 1234 viewsJaySaint

Once pulling down statues become fashionable for one cause, why should it stop there?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Ted Bates statue on 11:49 - Jan 22 with 1214 viewsChesham_Saint

Ted Bates statue on 09:39 - Jan 22 by Number_58

It doesn't really matter what any of us think, surely it should be the poor victims who decide if the statue comes down. If they believe that Ted Bates in some way contributed to their ordeal, and it's removal provides a degree of closure, then the statue should probably be removed. If not, then it should stay.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2022 9:56]

In that case, why not go the whole hog and wind up the club itself, after all it was SFC that employed him? By the standards of today the club should have had support systems and protocols in place to deal with this.

Except…. we’re not talking about 2022, but decades ago.

In short, unless the man himself is posthumously revealed as some sort of Gary Glitter type, leave the damn statue alone.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Ted Bates statue on 13:01 - Jan 22 with 1171 viewsJellybaby

Ted Bates statue on 11:49 - Jan 22 by Chesham_Saint

In that case, why not go the whole hog and wind up the club itself, after all it was SFC that employed him? By the standards of today the club should have had support systems and protocols in place to deal with this.

Except…. we’re not talking about 2022, but decades ago.

In short, unless the man himself is posthumously revealed as some sort of Gary Glitter type, leave the damn statue alone.

Yes, there is no end to this insidious cancel culture.

If all our lives are examined we have all done or not done things we should, so we either knock down all the statues or we leave them all up, otherwise you have self righteous hypocrites standing in judgement on people in a time of history they can not begin to understand.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Ted Bates statue on 01:06 - Jan 23 with 1103 viewsBicester_North

Ted Bates statue on 13:01 - Jan 22 by Jellybaby

If all our lives are examined we have all done or not done things we should, so we either knock down all the statues or we leave them all up, otherwise you have self righteous hypocrites standing in judgement on people in a time of history they can not begin to understand.

Paedophilia is the sickest, vilest thing on the planet. Why are you talking about child abuse in the context of “cancel culture”?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ted Bates statue on 01:43 - Jan 23 with 1098 viewsBicester_North

Ted Bates statue on 08:41 - Jan 22 by Poirot

There is no evidence of it being 'suppressed' and nobody else at the club even knew anything about this complaint.

The nippers at the club knew what happened, it’s a disgusting scandal and anyone that wants it swept up into the annals of history, and put down to the way things were back then, is a suspect character.
F*ck anyone who thinks this shouldn’t be investigated to the ends of the earth. Anyone who was complicit should be publicly sorted.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2022 1:45]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Login to get fewer ads

Ted Bates statue on 08:18 - Jan 23 with 1048 viewsNumber_58

Ted Bates statue on 13:01 - Jan 22 by Jellybaby

So you don't think victims should get a say in the matter? Ironic you mention 'self righteous hypocrites standing in judgement on people in a time of history they can not begin to understand'.
Ted Bates statue on 09:05 - Jan 23 with 1020 viewsPoirot

Ted Bates statue on 01:43 - Jan 23 by Bicester_North

The nippers at the club knew what happened, it’s a disgusting scandal and anyone that wants it swept up into the annals of history, and put down to the way things were back then, is a suspect character.
F*ck anyone who thinks this shouldn’t be investigated to the ends of the earth. Anyone who was complicit should be publicly sorted.

Well i suggest you read the barnardos report and the clive sheldon one.
Ted Bates statue on 09:58 - Jan 23 with 978 viewsChesham_Saint

Ted Bates statue on 01:43 - Jan 23 by Bicester_North

I don’t think anyone is saying don’t investigate, just where do you draw the line at recriminations for perhaps peripheral figures who would know better today?

By that measure shouldn’t those many people still at the BBC who knew about Savile be thrown out? I mean, is it feasible that say, Terry Wogan had no idea? If so, then should Wogan House be renamed and his knighthood posthumously stripped?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Ted Bates statue on 12:40 - Jan 23 with 942 viewspjt50

Ted Bates statue on 09:58 - Jan 23 by Chesham_Saint

I don’t think anyone is saying don’t investigate, just where do you draw the line at recriminations for perhaps peripheral figures who would know better today?

By that measure shouldn’t those many people still at the BBC who knew about Savile be thrown out? I mean, is it feasible that say, Terry Wogan had no idea? If so, then should Wogan House be renamed and his knighthood posthumously stripped?

For me there's a bit of a difference between having suspicions and not acting on them and threatening somebody who does raise the issue with legal action. Not that either is defensible

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Ted Bates statue on 14:43 - Jan 23 with 895 viewsPoirot

Ted Bates statue on 12:40 - Jan 23 by pjt50

For me there's a bit of a difference between having suspicions and not acting on them and threatening somebody who does raise the issue with legal action. Not that either is defensible

Dont you think several other people would have acted, if they had known ? There are at least six other coaches and managers who said they knew nothing. let alone other trainees. Technically BH wasnt even an employee, when this claim was made. Nobody knows the nature of the complaint, it may not even not been sexual. For example BH gained complaints from parents due to his army type approach to trainees. This teacher also complained to the local education authority and nothing happened and other schools and nothing happened.

The way any of this has appeared, i dont think meets the criteria in journalist reporting guidelines on child abuse. Certainly the Daily Echo asking people in the street, if a statue should be removed against uknown libelious claims.

Mishandled claims and coverage in the media has seen victims commit suicide in unrelated cases, which is why strict guidelines appeared. There is also a big question on legal action being taken against the Athletic based around defamation. The athletic are financially in shite and are desperate for attention.

No Saints fan should be paying a penny towards their webiste.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2022 13:19]
Ted Bates statue on 20:24 - Jan 23 with 837 viewsJellybaby

Ted Bates statue on 01:06 - Jan 23 by Bicester_North

Paedophilia is the sickest, vilest thing on the planet. Why are you talking about child abuse in the context of “cancel culture”?

Yes of course any right minded person sees paedophilia as the most heinous of all wrongdoings and these predators should be punished accordingly.

My point was about the tearing down of statues generally, like we expect all the people that have been statufied (new word!) to be flawless characters when clearly no one is and of course Ted Bates is not here to defend himself. If the bar for letting a statue remain is perfection then lets save ourselves a lot of time and get them all down asap, but sentiment and public pressure will dictate on this one. Probably best not to put anymore statues up...

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Ted Bates statue on 09:25 - Jan 24 with 736 viewsBison

To be on safe side they should replace all human statues with those of animals , surely that would make everyone happy. On that subject....

A Yorkshireman's dog dies and as it was a favourite pet he decides to have a gold statue made by a jeweller to remember the dog by.

Yorkshireman: "Can tha mek us a gold statue of yon dog?"

Jeweller: "Do you want it 18 carat?"

Yorkshireman: "No I want it chewin' a bone, yer daft begger!"

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024