Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton v Coventry Match Thread 14:23 - Feb 5 with 3397 viewsBison

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:03 - Feb 5 with 975 viewsButty101

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 17:53 - Feb 5 by Bison

Must admit I was looking forward to extra time SoG's as I wanted another 1/2 hour of Saints on the telly. We played well 2nd period of game , anyone who seriously criticises Saints today or the Manager will never be happy until we do the Treble.

Cracking FA Cup tie.

So if anyone dares question Ralph, by calling out a poor disjointed performance, then you will never be happyā€¦. Coventry should have buried us.
No one expects the treble but take the cup seriously!
Happy clappers are the bloody worst !

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:05 - Feb 5 with 965 viewsdarthvader

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 18:59 - Feb 5 by darthvader

Drama at the end . !
I thought it was handball ?
I never cheered so much for a flag in i dont know how long .And extra extra Nice to shut up the moron eliment of the boisterous cov fans .

Edit yes he was offside ive just seen highlights now . I thought there was a handball in the buildup . Funny how he took so long to flag though

keep the faith coyr

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:31 - Feb 5 with 887 viewssaint22

how many more times does ralph need to see how useless walcott is???
he is rapidly becoming on of our worst purchases ever
Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:36 - Feb 5 with 879 viewsElijahK

Well at the end of day a wins a win and weā€™re through to round 5!

Certainly was a very different starting lineup, with many bench/youth players getting a chance to play, which is fair enough, although I donā€™t think any impressed by too much, as it was the subs that saved us.
Still fair play to Ralph though, as A.Armstrong, Walcott and Small (although at least heā€™s a young player and it was his debut so had a lot to cope with, so does have a slight excuse) were all dreadful in the first half, and by the 60th minute heā€™d taken them off and done basically all the substitutions that everyone wanted/expected, which in the end, is what won us the game!
There certainly was some great performances out there today though from certain players as Prowse and Armstrong both really helped out both up front and at the back, and once the regulars joined in, Livermento started to look like his former self again.
But my MOTM today has to be Caballero, as that double save he pulled off, as well as the save when Valery messed up (who also was pretty decent today), were all sublime and saved us from embarrassment. But also his emotions when the linesman put up his flag and how he shoes that he actually gave a toss about the result. As after that display, Iā€™d certainly be happy if he was to start in goal against Spurs on Wednesday and when his contract runs out, maybe offering him some sort of job in the coaching department or such.
Still, we were lucky to win this, but some decent performances and subs were what saved us in the end and is why weā€™re in the 5th round draw!

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:44 - Feb 5 with 864 viewsElijahK

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:01 - Feb 5 by Heisenberg

Good cup tie but confirms Long Walcott and A Armstrong are not good enough.

Long wasnā€™t actually too bad as he did hold up their defences distribution a few times and always made sure that he could move a few of the defenders out of position, but yeah Walcott is just a wast and absolutely rubbish (which I still remember how I was criticised for saying he would be when he joined, but I guess people opinions on that have changed now!), and Armstrong is just getting soo many chances yet producing soo little as he managed to get 30 goals/assists last season against teams like Coventry, yet did nothing today, as yeah it took Adams a while to settle in, but at least heā€™d actually have shits on target and would challenge keepers, which Armstrong isnā€™t doing.

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 20:14 - Feb 5 with 817 viewsBison

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 19:01 - Feb 5 by Heisenberg

Good cup tie but confirms Long Walcott and A Armstrong are not good enough.

Open a can of spEcial BRU MATe>

I agree with you , but would you say that was a managerial masterclass ?

Deffo learnt something , I suppose the proof will be in the next team selections against Spurs . I really enjoyed that game and was pleasantly surprised how we took control.

Small is not upto it , Stephens passes like he is putting on a golf course , just gets there.

But the 'mainstay' did job.

Well done Ralph .

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:03 - Feb 5 with 746 viewsButty101

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 20:14 - Feb 5 by Bison

Open a can of spEcial BRU MATe>

I agree with you , but would you say that was a managerial masterclass ?

Deffo learnt something , I suppose the proof will be in the next team selections against Spurs . I really enjoyed that game and was pleasantly surprised how we took control.

Small is not upto it , Stephens passes like he is putting on a golf course , just gets there.

But the 'mainstay' did job.

Well done Ralph .

Why was that a managerial master class happy clapper? Coventry should have buried us.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:17 - Feb 5 with 722 viewsElijahK

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:03 - Feb 5 by Butty101

Why was that a managerial master class happy clapper? Coventry should have buried us.

Why what was is thatRalph really did that wrong? As he was obviously saving our main players for Wednesday, hopping that he wouldnā€™t need to play them, as well as giving the bench/youth players a chance. And as soon as it was clear that they werenā€™t gonna be enough to beat Coventry, he did the subs, which were exactly what most fans wanted/expected him to do. So whatā€™s soo poor about that then?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:37 - Feb 5 with 699 viewsdirk_doone

That first half was a shambles because Coventry fielded their first team and we sent out a bunch of reserves, who'd not played together before. At one time we had Long and Walcott, up front. Fair enough if we were playing for a 0-0 draw but we were 0-1 down at the time! If Ralph really believed one of them would score he must be deluded. I doubt there was another person in the stadium who did.

Fortunately we had first team players on the bench and when he brought Stuart Armstrong and Walker-Peters on, we at last started to look OK - not great but OK.

The ticketing arrangements were also shambolic and embarrassing, with one block completely empty and hundreds of empty corporate seats, when there were Saints fans who wanted tickets but couldn't get them. Our lack of a proper home end was also embarrassing as it always is when we play big cup games. Why couldn't the singers shifted from the Northam have gone up the Chapel and made themselves heard instead of hiding away in the Kingsland North (at least I assume that's where they disappeared to), where I never heard them once?

Hopefully, in the fifth round, whoever we get drawn against , Ralph will field a proper first team, as the way the competition has opened up, there is more chance of us winning the cup this year than there has been for a very long time. We are currently 20/1 7th favourites to win it. A good draw tomorrow and those odds will come in again.

Anway, in the cup, a win is a win and we're throught to the final 16 but I think there are some lessons to be learned from today.

Man of the Match: Stuart Armstrong. Even though he only came on as a sub, he made a world of difference to the game and his goal was superb.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 21:57]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 22:07 - Feb 5 with 655 viewsSaintsforeverj

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:37 - Feb 5 by dirk_doone

That first half was a shambles because Coventry fielded their first team and we sent out a bunch of reserves, who'd not played together before. At one time we had Long and Walcott, up front. Fair enough if we were playing for a 0-0 draw but we were 0-1 down at the time! If Ralph really believed one of them would score he must be deluded. I doubt there was another person in the stadium who did.

Fortunately we had first team players on the bench and when he brought Stuart Armstrong and Walker-Peters on, we at last started to look OK - not great but OK.

The ticketing arrangements were also shambolic and embarrassing, with one block completely empty and hundreds of empty corporate seats, when there were Saints fans who wanted tickets but couldn't get them. Our lack of a proper home end was also embarrassing as it always is when we play big cup games. Why couldn't the singers shifted from the Northam have gone up the Chapel and made themselves heard instead of hiding away in the Kingsland North (at least I assume that's where they disappeared to), where I never heard them once?

Hopefully, in the fifth round, whoever we get drawn against , Ralph will field a proper first team, as the way the competition has opened up, there is more chance of us winning the cup this year than there has been for a very long time. We are currently 20/1 7th favourites to win it. A good draw tomorrow and those odds will come in again.

Anway, in the cup, a win is a win and we're throught to the final 16 but I think there are some lessons to be learned from today.

Man of the Match: Stuart Armstrong. Even though he only came on as a sub, he made a world of difference to the game and his goal was superb.

Definitely agree that Stuart Armstrong was MOTM, what a goal. Also agree that Ralph misjudged the quality of Coventry and hoped to get away with getting through anyway with a reserve team. In the end he had to bring on 5 first team players to get us through. He did at least realise the task we were facing and he made 5 changes and a few at half time. Had he played them from the start, we may have got through in normal time and not had that unwanted 30 minutes extra. But hey ho. I also thought Caballero was better than I expected as the game went on. We really missed Salisu today.

The Northam fans as you say, where do they all go? I can only assume they had all been split up and were spread around the ground. Why don't they all go in the Chapel as you say and create an end? I was in the Kingsland corner, right next to the Northam and there was lots of singing there but was probably drowned out by the Cov fans. Many new people in the ground too and lots of kids because of the cheaper tickets, so maybe just different people there today. Why did they leave a whole section empty in the Coventry end next to the Itchen North too? Security reasons, I'm sure but they didn't do that when we played Pompey or when we play any teams in the PL.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 22:11]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 02:36 - Feb 6 with 572 viewsBison

You seem to forget ..... WE WON !!!

Salisu was not needed , and ..... We won.

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 07:49 - Feb 6 with 507 viewscocklebreath

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:37 - Feb 5 by dirk_doone

Itā€™s hardly opened up, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Westham, Everton still left,
Awful team selection was really surprised. Poor old Small, he was terrible but what got me was the apparent lack of effort, he was just strolling around, bizarre considering it was his debut. Thought the Coventry fans were excellent with a decent range of songs although the high pitched twist and shout was a bit lame but not as lame as the mobile phone lights, dear god please stop this.
Hopefully next round Ralph wonā€™t p!ss about

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 11:19 - Feb 6 with 428 viewsBison

Southampton v Coventry Match Thread on 21:03 - Feb 5 by Butty101

Are you throwing the 'Happy Clapper' tag as some sort of insult ? I will happily take it , what's the point of supporting your team if you cant enjoy a win and see the positives.

'Bloody Saints , I hate 'em'. Bloody Ralf , Bloody fans celebrating'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024