Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking 10:55 - Feb 16 with 1493 viewsParkRoyalR

Without Chair's ability to retain possession in final third, throughout January we seemed to rely more on a counter-attacking style, even against Reading we let them have possession and then counter-attacked with pace when we turned over possession (as Millwall did to us last night and Barnsley on Saturday).

Whilst a counter-attacking style is quite nervous to watch (as at Coventry where they rained balls into our box) it seems to suit our team better? With our one genuinely creative midfield player (SJ) off-form / fatigued, do we revert back to this counter-attacking style and maybe swap out Chair for Adomah or Thomas as the 2nd no 10 who both move the ball quicker?

Borderline unthinkable dropping Chair, but having a view high up behind the goal at Barnsley and Millwall last night, you see a very different game than from the side (South Africa Road Stand) and Chair last night almost broke down every attack by not seeing the early obvious pass or taking too many touches and playing a pass to where our player was previously positioned when he last had his head up.

The other caveat to a counter-attacking style of play is an on-form SJ, which he is clearly not at the moment, so maybe time to revisit 4-2-3-1 as we now do have 4 defenders comfortable in a back 4 which we did'nt have before Sanderson's arrival.
Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking on 11:13 - Feb 16 with 1423 viewsjackgbrown

It seemed to me last night that the formation was the problem. None of our wing backs had much joy in going forward, but Adomah also really struggled defensively up against Malone, who got in behind a lot.

I think there's a bit of an issue developing against sides who don't aim to press us high up and let our three centre-backs have the ball all day long. Field and Johansen then drop in to pick the ball up, but the cycle repeats itself as we're too far away from our three forwards.

If I was Warbs (luckily I'm not) I'd be tempted on Saturday to revert to 4-2-3-1, with Dickie's suspension saving a tricky decision. Dunne and Barbet would still get the protection from Field alongside Johansen/Hendrick that they need, but you can add Amos is as the link man between the DMs and Chair/Willock one striker. Amos looks to play forward and has been underused in recent weeks.

The current formation has got us to where we are, but there needs to be an element of adaptability against some of the 'lesser' teams (FWIW I'd still stick with three at the back against better teams willing to go toe to toe).
Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking on 11:15 - Feb 16 with 1411 viewsozexile

I think instructing Johannsen to stop picking the ball off the centre backs would solve a lot of our problems.
Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking on 11:22 - Feb 16 with 1389 viewsParkRoyalR

Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking on 11:13 - Feb 16 by jackgbrown

It seemed to me last night that the formation was the problem. None of our wing backs had much joy in going forward, but Adomah also really struggled defensively up against Malone, who got in behind a lot.

I think there's a bit of an issue developing against sides who don't aim to press us high up and let our three centre-backs have the ball all day long. Field and Johansen then drop in to pick the ball up, but the cycle repeats itself as we're too far away from our three forwards.

If I was Warbs (luckily I'm not) I'd be tempted on Saturday to revert to 4-2-3-1, with Dickie's suspension saving a tricky decision. Dunne and Barbet would still get the protection from Field alongside Johansen/Hendrick that they need, but you can add Amos is as the link man between the DMs and Chair/Willock one striker. Amos looks to play forward and has been underused in recent weeks.

The current formation has got us to where we are, but there needs to be an element of adaptability against some of the 'lesser' teams (FWIW I'd still stick with three at the back against better teams willing to go toe to toe).

Agree, 4-2-3-1 might help us transition the ball better as with Dickie / Barbet / SJ not travelling with the ball, no-one is breaking the line and our attacking 3 are easily marked / doubled up on when receiving a slow pass from deep.

Agree also Adomah gave his man far too much space all night, you could see that coming in the 1st Half where he did'nt get anywhere need tight enough to his man, which I don't get as if you are tighter opposition are less inclined to make that pass.

Interesting to see what Warburton does as Barbet's dramatic loss of form / confidence since his head injury will be another big call.
Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking on 11:42 - Feb 16 with 1341 viewsManinBlack

Perhaps we should just revert to the attacking style of early season in the next few games. If we can create more chances and the forwards score, maybe confidence will return. Sure we may concede more goals but we have conceded 7 in the last 10 days anyway without having any attacking zip. We should be taking the game to Hull and Blackpool as the home team.

I was not surprised Millwall beat us as for years we have been dismal in away London derbies. Last night was no different where we have lost even when in good form. This season we needed penalties to win at Orient and got stuffed at Fulham, so last night I sort of expected it. Wins away in London is something we don't deliver. I was more disturbed by losing at Peterborough again and Barnsley.
Style of Play - Possession v Counter Attacking on 12:38 - Feb 16 with 1248 viewscharmr

It’s passing your coaches qualifications football with zero creativity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024