Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Inconsistent consistency and the cure (?) 14:06 - May 10 with 715 viewssaint901

I was not at the Brentford match and have not seen whatever highlights might be available, but given the pounding we gave them at our place, I'm disappointed with the result. In fact I'm disappointed with the results since the middle of March.

If Leeds lose tonight (home to Chelsea) then we're all but mathematically safe but that hides a number of structural problems that need to be addressed if we are to avoid a repeat next season of the position we find ourselves in now.

Starting at the top, I hope that the new owners can find a way to make some investment in the playing squad. With the debt they inherited I'm not sure that's entirely possible but on an ideal shopping list would be a CB (perhaps two if JB leaves), a defensive midfield, an in the box finisher. If funds allowed, decent replacements for a creative midfielder, another striker and a GK. That's close to £80m probably.

For me, I'd look to move on Walcott, Redmond, Long, Smallbone, Djenepo, Telle, Diallo and McCarthy. We're not going to recover much of that £80m on this list but perhaps £20/25m?

On the list of "you've got until January" goes AA and SA. AA because he's had plenty of minutes but has shown no improvement in his game. SA because he seems to be totally switched on or off - nothing in between.

The strategic management of the team in and out of possession needs to be completely overhauled. We either play like title chasing, hungry, pressing, in your face winners, or completely disengaged individuals with no will or desire to play as a team or be difficult to beat.

That poor form/good form/bad form is not a way to play in the PL because any run into decent form is likely to coincide with a top 4/5 fixture which is going to be difficult.

For me, this is a coaching problem. Time and again this season we've flown out the blocks, had decent chances to establish a first half lead, failed and then struggled to maintain the pace/pressure in the second half. It's almost as though we need to be able to play different strategies in each half. But we have not done that.

RH needs to look hard at whether his high block/press is right in every match or whether a more controlled/controlling first half is needed.

If we can play both then clearly we can move from one to another with much coaching input but for whatever reason we don't. In my view that needs to be fixed.

I'm intrigued to see the "Moneyball" strategy play out. Personally I'm a long way from convinced that a strategy designed with commercial objectives will meet the fans needs for a stress free season with a decent cup run but it worked for Brentford so why not us?

Finally there's the question of RH.

On the one hand he has made some mistakes and made some very strange decisions which he has not acknowledged or explained - at least not to the fans.

On the other, many of the potential replacements have no better a PL history or perhaps top division in Europe history and if they arrive but are starved of funds and new blood, then will they be any better?

On balance, given that RH has said he wants to stay until he retires, I'd like to see his backroom staff indulge in some recruiting with a view to putting some "play ugly" grit into the team because we're going to need it next season. If he doesn't then I think he could be on his way by Christmas (which of course this year will be a seasonal break because of the World Cup making the January window all the more important.)

So in summary, a business plan with room for new players, at least three new first teamers and preferably 3 to 5 more pushing for the first team, new coaches and RH told that he has until Christmas to find some consistency. (Assuming we stay in the PL of course).
Inconsistent consistency and the cure (?) on 18:00 - May 10 with 582 viewssaint22

cant argue with most of that except Stephens also needs moving on
Oh and Leeds need to lose tomorrow night ;)
Inconsistent consistency and the cure (?) on 08:03 - May 11 with 483 viewssledger

Stephens is prone to mistakes its true,if only we could bottle his effort and desire to do well for saints and instill it into some of the other half arsed w+nkers
Inconsistent consistency and the cure (?) on 08:19 - May 11 with 462 viewssaintwizzler

Alex McCarthy has signed a new contract so he stays.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Inconsistent consistency and the cure (?) on 08:27 - May 11 with 453 viewssaint901

Apologies - Leeds is of course tonight.

Stephens is a bit of an enigma.

Against middle of the road PL strikers he looks competent enough and his positioning is good so long as the opposition is not doing anything too fancy.

Where the opposition is sending players from midfield to join their attacks late, he looks a little lost and tends to get pulled forward or holds too far back. Either way, give a top PL striker a yard or two and trouble is inevitable.

I'm not sure that's entirely fixable because it needs judgement on how to read the game and unless you have some consistent experience playing, it's hard to acquire.

On the other hand his commitment is evident for all to see and sometimes gets him booked for avoidable commentary to the ref and spats with forwards. The fans love that of course but it disrupts his concentration and that doesn't help the above problem.

I've left him in the squad because if JB goes, then we need another CB. Salisu may stay (he's well out of form right now and cannot be sold). Valery seems to be RH's choice for CB in a back three and unless we recruit a new CB then I think next season will see us use that more often.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024