Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you choose a manager? 13:12 - Aug 10 with 1638 viewsBarrySwan

So just out of interest.

I must confess that I watch names of players and managers that I've never heard of bandied about by members of this forum who appear to know in fine detail the history and qualities of those who are touted to join the club.

I assume this professed knowledge must come from those who are more obsessed or diligent than myself in studying every single aspect of the European and British game perhaps helped by FIFA whatever computer games.

Whereas I vaguely hear of names here and there because frankly I can't be bothered to delve further and have other interests than totally immersing myself in the national and international game and I judge players, managers and coaches on my perception of their performances when they pitch up at the Swans and after I've watched them a number of times.

I do admit that when I heard of Mr Martin being linked with the Swans and that his previous club were Milton Keynes my first thought was..Weren't Milton Keynes pretty rubbish last season? But to be honest I couldn't even be bothered checking up on that assuming that we wouldn't be appointing someone with a less than stellar managerial record.

What I can't understand given the numerous posts listing Russell Martins previous managerial history at Milton Keynes in regards to average points gained and league finishing positions which appear to be fairly less than impressive to say the least, is what actually attracted the Swansea City ownership team to employ the guy in the first place?

I'm struggling to see exactly what demonstration of managerial ability sent the message...We've got to get this guy...He can drive us on to greater things.

So what exactly was running through the minds of the Swansea board as they pursued their dream choice to fill the managerial position?

Have I missed something and there was actually a frisson of excitement circulating throughout the league over the potential of Russel Martin as a manager and we were the first club to step in and snap up such an exciting talent?

Because I've never really understood the appointment in the first place.
How do you choose a manager? on 13:20 - Aug 10 with 1614 viewsKerouac

I think that as Cooper was constantly criticised for the style of football (despite a track record of success), the people involved in recruiting a new manager were specifically looking for managers with a record indicating passing, possession based football...and Martin was one of those who fitted the bill who was prepared to come here (as it was a step up the pyramid for him).
He also had his polished BS persona going for him, Guardian reader, Vegan, right-on politics type...which appears to chime with the idiots we have running our football club.

I honestly don't think it went any deeper than that.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 13:20]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

How do you choose a manager? on 13:53 - Aug 10 with 1574 viewsSuperjan

How do you choose a manager? on 13:20 - Aug 10 by Kerouac

I think that as Cooper was constantly criticised for the style of football (despite a track record of success), the people involved in recruiting a new manager were specifically looking for managers with a record indicating passing, possession based football...and Martin was one of those who fitted the bill who was prepared to come here (as it was a step up the pyramid for him).
He also had his polished BS persona going for him, Guardian reader, Vegan, right-on politics type...which appears to chime with the idiots we have running our football club.

So in an attempt to balance things out , our next manager should be a cross between Tony Pulis and Tommy Robinson .
How do you choose a manager? on 14:02 - Aug 10 with 1565 viewsKerouac

How do you choose a manager? on 13:53 - Aug 10 by Superjan

So in an attempt to balance things out , our next manager should be a cross between Tony Pulis and Tommy Robinson .

How do you work that one out?

Our next manager should be a competent football manager...if we want to balance things out on the politics, then our whole team should do something before every kick off to raise awareness of the anti-semitism problem...and all fans should clap them vociferously afterwards or be kicked out on their arse.

It is possible to play crisp, good, attacking, passing football you know...there are managers and coaches out there who can get a team to play that.
It's not Martinball or long ball.
Those are not the choices.

How do you choose a manager? on 14:12 - Aug 10 with 1553 viewsvetchonian

How do you choose a manager? on 13:20 - Aug 10 by Kerouac

the video doing the rounds of the goal scored after 51 passes probably influenced the decision too

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

How do you choose a manager? on 14:24 - Aug 10 with 1541 viewsFireboy2

How do you choose a manager? on 14:02 - Aug 10 by Kerouac

Our next manager should be a competent football manager...if we want to balance things out on the politics, then our whole team should do something before every kick off to raise awareness of the anti-semitism problem...and all fans should clap them vociferously afterwards or be kicked out on their arse.

It is possible to play crisp, good, attacking, passing football you know...there are managers and coaches out there who can get a team to play that.

Id hazatd a guess its because you mentioned that he read the guardian and he was into right on politics 🤷
How do you choose a manager? on 14:27 - Aug 10 with 1541 viewsSuperjan

How do you choose a manager? on 14:02 - Aug 10 by Kerouac

I agree with your remarks about the football, I look back with nostalgia to the famous goal against Fulham away in 2012 .
How do you choose a manager? on 14:58 - Aug 10 with 1516 viewsBadlands

Different ways.
Jenkins' way. Sack the manager by text and have the replacement lined up.
Have a list and invite people for interview while caretaker (KoL!) takes over.
Let agents know there might be an opening and let them approach the club.
Who comes in depends on the need … continued attempt at entertaining football and long term vision = young relatively inexperienced.
Entertaining but short term success = an experienced manager like Savarese ( but I would be amazed if we could get him even if Winter knew who he is).

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

How do you choose a manager? on 15:00 - Aug 10 with 1515 viewsKerouac

How do you choose a manager? on 14:24 - Aug 10 by Fireboy2

Id hazatd a guess its because you mentioned that he read the guardian and he was into right on politics 🤷

This is what I said, as an add-on to the football point I made;

"He also had his polished BS persona going for him, Guardian reader, Vegan, right-on politics type...which appears to chime with the idiots we have running our football club."

...which is demonstrably true.
You will note that people like me gave him the benefit of the doubt regardless...as I judge football managers, football teams and football clubs based on the football.

I only started criticising him when the football wasn't good and it had become clear that it was a systemic part of the way he wanted us to play, and he wasn't learning.

The next manager could be a Commie, I care not, as long as he keeps his trap shut about his politics ('cos it divides the fans) and produced a good football team...that is the point of a football manager, that is the criteria I judge a manager by.

Others on this site celebrated the man's politics and green credentials, there were comments about how they were glad his appointment would wind other fans up weren't there?
Were you one of the crowd who said our club (it is mine as well as yours) would be better off without the fans who didn't support players kneeling for BLM? (apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else)

Regardless of who said it, there was a faction that backed that stance...that aged well didn't it?
Now you won't find anyone with a brain who will admit to supporting BLM

Login to get fewer ads

How do you choose a manager? on 15:26 - Aug 10 with 1495 viewsBadlands

How do you choose a manager? on 13:53 - Aug 10 by Superjan

Why mention the criminal and convicted football hooligan Robinson?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 15:27]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

How do you choose a manager? on 16:14 - Aug 10 with 1437 viewsonehunglow

How do you choose a manager? on 15:00 - Aug 10 by Kerouac

This is what I said, as an add-on to the football point I made;

"He also had his polished BS persona going for him, Guardian reader, Vegan, right-on politics type...which appears to chime with the idiots we have running our football club."

...which is demonstrably true.
You will note that people like me gave him the benefit of the doubt regardless...as I judge football managers, football teams and football clubs based on the football.

I only started criticising him when the football wasn't good and it had become clear that it was a systemic part of the way he wanted us to play, and he wasn't learning.

The next manager could be a Commie, I care not, as long as he keeps his trap shut about his politics ('cos it divides the fans) and produced a good football team...that is the point of a football manager, that is the criteria I judge a manager by.

Others on this site celebrated the man's politics and green credentials, there were comments about how they were glad his appointment would wind other fans up weren't there?
Were you one of the crowd who said our club (it is mine as well as yours) would be better off without the fans who didn't support players kneeling for BLM? (apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else)

Regardless of who said it, there was a faction that backed that stance...that aged well didn't it?
Now you won't find anyone with a brain who will admit to supporting BLM

Fire Brigades Union is right up there with the glorious left aligned Unions.

Everyone who turned on fellow fans just for speaking frankly should be retracting ,better still apologising .

We drew against Rotherham who could and should have won, got shamed against a teal described as “ tripe”…Blackburn,now beaten and losing the chance to make some money,against Oxford United.

Where does that us

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024