Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scam calls 09:38 - Jan 4 with 3255 viewsCountyJim

Morning all after some advice if anyone can help

My mother in-law has dementia and is getting scam calls nearly every day, My wife is her carer she's rang sky telephone they are suggesting sky shield but this involves the mother in-law pressing certain buttons on the phone which isn't going to work because basically she'll forget what to do my wife even has to put telly on for her that's where we are.

Is there any way of having a list of trusted numbers and anything else is blocked for example .

Cheers in advance
Scam calls on 19:06 - Jan 14 with 708 viewsWingstandwood

BEWARE!

I had a recorded phone call onto my landline this week claiming to be from my bank stating that there was suspicious activity and money had been taken out of my account from overseas via Western Union money transfer. I get many of these and ignore them, but still have a curiosity to find out where they are from.

I did a 1471 search of the callers number to find out that on this (never happened before) occasion that it was from a 'local area' telephone code.

I was still suspicious knowing about the existence of 'cloned' telephone numbers that scammers use. So with that in mind I went to my bank in person just to be on the safe side, the lady said I was right to be suspicious because Lloyds Bank would not have used a local area code to notify me.

Treat every recorded message with suspicion and be wary of cloned numbers that can/either have a local area code or be exactly the same as a valid/legit number when showing up on the display screen or when 1471'd....

And be wary of a trick where scammers leave the phone off the hook on their end and use a fake dialling tone to trick you if/when you try to get through to your bank. It can still be the scammers on the other end!

Argus!

Scam calls on 20:50 - Jan 14 with 644 viewsWingstandwood

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/biggest-ever-uk-fraud-sting-phone-number-s

Beware of this type of scam, I had my phone call on Monday and apparently its now an extremely common ruse to target people (by the thousand) who have become immune to foreign/overseas scam calls, because they instinctively ignore calls that do not show up on caller display bearing a local STD code.

Argus!

Scam calls on 00:51 - Jan 15 with 616 viewsRobbie

There are websites , Who Called Me , being one which can sometimes be an asset and comments added by victims as to experiences of potential scamming targets .

I mentioned earlier in this thread the people who contacted me sounded so convincing it was frightening how close I came to being fooled .

Now taken the mind set of , due to this issue , not trusting anybody any more regarding cold calling .

This added to the British Steel Pension sell off which I was involved in , with vultures of Financial Advisors smelling easy money , pure greed ripping off the vunerable .
Scam calls on 00:59 - Jan 15 with 612 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 00:51 - Jan 15 by Robbie

There are websites , Who Called Me , being one which can sometimes be an asset and comments added by victims as to experiences of potential scamming targets .

I mentioned earlier in this thread the people who contacted me sounded so convincing it was frightening how close I came to being fooled .

Now taken the mind set of , due to this issue , not trusting anybody any more regarding cold calling .

This added to the British Steel Pension sell off which I was involved in , with vultures of Financial Advisors smelling easy money , pure greed ripping off the vunerable .

They are low life scum , my Mrs has had to take drastic action in switching her mum's phone to silence.

We've tried the phone company but they just offer the guardian or similar but that involves pressing buttons for someone with dementia this just won't help or good enough.

There has to be a system that lets my wife pick numbers she knows are safe for her mum to receive
Scam calls on 19:01 - Jan 15 with 572 viewsWingstandwood

Scam calls on 00:51 - Jan 15 by Robbie

'Who Called Me' is a fantastic resource!

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/2,03332128954

Here is a link showing a home appliance insurance scam number that I have personal knowledge (PROTECT YOUR HOME LIMITED) of that was scamming in Swansea and all over the country.

One of its directors would start up company after company, in fact he was a director of nine companies from 2015 - 2018, all of whom were 'dissolved'.

The tactic would be to phone O.A.P's falsely claiming to be their home insurance provider to get direct debit details. I know of one O.A.P who had hundreds of pounds taken out in the space of two days by means of taking out TWO separate direct debit accounts. Vermin they are!

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/NGZHCcXM0aQ7
[Post edited 15 Jan 2023 19:02]

Argus!

Scam calls on 20:37 - Jan 15 with 542 viewsfbreath

Scam calls on 00:59 - Jan 15 by CountyJim

They are low life scum , my Mrs has had to take drastic action in switching her mum's phone to silence.

We've tried the phone company but they just offer the guardian or similar but that involves pressing buttons for someone with dementia this just won't help or good enough.

There has to be a system that lets my wife pick numbers she knows are safe for her mum to receive

I did mention a device in one of my posts in this thread that allows you to programme in allowed numbers or white list as they call it.

So only telephone numbers in this list can get through.

You set this up once and that’s it apart from if you want to add or delete numbers at a later date.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Scam calls on 09:03 - Jan 16 with 530 viewsCountyJim

Scam calls on 20:37 - Jan 15 by fbreath

I did mention a device in one of my posts in this thread that allows you to programme in allowed numbers or white list as they call it.

So only telephone numbers in this list can get through.

You set this up once and that’s it apart from if you want to add or delete numbers at a later date.

I know you did thanks but it still involves the mother in law pressing buttons she literally can't do it it's got to the stage she picked up a pen to eat her food it's getting horrendous
Scam calls on 12:37 - Jan 16 with 504 viewsfbreath

Scam calls on 09:03 - Jan 16 by CountyJim

I know you did thanks but it still involves the mother in law pressing buttons she literally can't do it it's got to the stage she picked up a pen to eat her food it's getting horrendous

Not sure what you mean as the only callers who will get through are numbers on the whitelist so no buttons to press. Her phone only rings if the number is in the list. Couldn’t be any simpler.

My mum had dementia and it was awful to deal with. I can sympathise with what you and family are going through.

Edit to add info from the website link in my previous post
"Create your own allow list

For numbers you don't want blocked, you can easily create a personal list of allowed caller numbers. The CPR V10000's "Allow List" button stores up to 1,000 numbers for your friends, family and other people you know. The Allow List can also be configured to block everyone other than these "Allow" numbers."
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 15:02]

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024