Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs 10:32 - May 9 with 4203 viewsModeratorD

Lot better than many thought we would finish
Certainly nowhere near the relegation battle many feared at one point.
Well done Martin and the team
Onwards and upwards
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 11:18 - May 9 with 3226 viewsWhiterockin

We really need to build on this through the summer and kick on from the very start of next season. The seeds have been planted with this late run, lets not let them go to waste.
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 11:45 - May 9 with 3193 viewswhiterock

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 11:18 - May 9 by Whiterockin

We really need to build on this through the summer and kick on from the very start of next season. The seeds have been planted with this late run, lets not let them go to waste.

Agree, players will move but for me, if Piroe goes, its getting the right calibre of player in
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 13:09 - May 9 with 3138 viewsBadlands

Been saying all season that we have a good squad.
But, as well as we have done from the middle of March I can not for the life of me understand the Martin love in!
The end of October to mid March 16 points from a possible 63!!!!

Did he work hard and the players eventually get it?
⚽️🐂 prior to the dip we had won 6 from 7 losing only to Burnley.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 13:42 - May 9 with 3115 viewsModeratorD

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 13:09 - May 9 by Badlands

But, as well as we have done from the middle of March I can not for the life of me understand the Martin love in!

Suggest a read of the Serenity Prayer ?
We are where we are now
Where we were before is passed
Where we are going is yet to come
Just enjoy the ride
(I know that is not the Serenity Prayer, but that works just as well )

This post has been edited by an administrator
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:02 - May 9 with 3091 viewsWhiterockin

Personally I can't understand all the venom he has aimed at him and a couple of the first team. They are doing a job to the best of their ability, for our team, yes mistakes are made, criticise but some posts go over the top.
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:11 - May 9 with 3083 viewsonehunglow

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:02 - May 9 by Whiterockin

Personally I can't understand all the venom he has aimed at him and a couple of the first team. They are doing a job to the best of their ability, for our team, yes mistakes are made, criticise but some posts go over the top.

And I can’t understand why he is “ supported” like no other coach we have ever had .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:13 - May 9 with 3082 viewsWhiterockin

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:11 - May 9 by onehunglow

And I can’t understand why he is “ supported” like no other coach we have ever had .

Some of us continually support the current coach. I will leave Bradley out of this as in my mind the was an exception to the rule.
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:36 - May 9 with 3068 viewsBadlands

I have lived in the moment (you should have heard the moaning after the game yesterday!)
But this thread was about missed opportunities.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 15:00 - May 9 with 3042 viewsKeithHaynes

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:11 - May 9 by onehunglow

Do you remember, Martinez, Rodgers, and even Toshack.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 15:53 - May 9 with 2987 viewsvetchonian

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 15:00 - May 9 by KeithHaynes

Do you remember, Martinez, Rodgers, and even Toshack.

The thing is Keith all these achieved things ......whilst Russ has had his best finish this season in 9th.

Tosh a rookie manager achieved promotion in his first season here and managed it in successive seasons, Martinez changed our style of play and got us promoted...again only in his second season of management,And Brendan in his first season here took us to the PL

I know I have been one of if not Martin's biggest critic but the comparison if him to these other managers is where issues arise...they achieved and in the case of Martinez and Tosh were "rookie" managers when Martin joined us he was starting his third season as an EFL manager so he had a head start on the likes of Martinez and Tosh.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 16:00 - May 9 with 2966 viewsWhiterockin

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 14:36 - May 9 by Badlands

I have lived in the moment (you should have heard the moaning after the game yesterday!)
But this thread was about missed opportunities.

Was that before or after the lap of appreciation, because I can't imagine people staying to applaud then moan.
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 17:54 - May 9 with 2882 viewscimlaswan

I wonder how many West Brom fans call their final league position 'Joint 9th'?
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 18:45 - May 9 with 2838 viewsBryanSwan

Seems very quickly forgotten that abysmal 24 game run. Has he done well since, yes. But I'm afraid it was a little too late to actually get us anywhere.
Next season remains to be seen I get some of the optimism as we have played superbly in patches, but if we are losing Manning and most likely Piroe there is some major work to do. (And thats without considering a change back to the pure Martjnball style).

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 18:57 - May 9 with 2805 viewsWhiterockin

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 18:45 - May 9 by BryanSwan

Seems very quickly forgotten that abysmal 24 game run. Has he done well since, yes. But I'm afraid it was a little too late to actually get us anywhere.
Next season remains to be seen I get some of the optimism as we have played superbly in patches, but if we are losing Manning and most likely Piroe there is some major work to do. (And thats without considering a change back to the pure Martjnball style).

£8M for Piroe and £2M for Whittaker and the club say we can reinvest it all in players as the incoming funds will balance the books Russell signs a 2 year extension. Latibeaudiere signs a new contract so does Manning after a change if heart. How would you feel then.
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 19:30 - May 9 with 2753 viewsSTID2017

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 17:54 - May 9 by cimlaswan

I wonder how many West Brom fans call their final league position 'Joint 9th'?

They were 90 minutes away from the playoffs and at times on Monday were temporarily in the top six.
So totally different from Swans who were at least 9 days from a play off place.
For us it is decent after an up and down season.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 19:39 - May 9 with 2737 viewsKeithHaynes

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 15:53 - May 9 by vetchonian

The thing is Keith all these achieved things ......whilst Russ has had his best finish this season in 9th.

Tosh a rookie manager achieved promotion in his first season here and managed it in successive seasons, Martinez changed our style of play and got us promoted...again only in his second season of management,And Brendan in his first season here took us to the PL

I know I have been one of if not Martin's biggest critic but the comparison if him to these other managers is where issues arise...they achieved and in the case of Martinez and Tosh were "rookie" managers when Martin joined us he was starting his third season as an EFL manager so he had a head start on the likes of Martinez and Tosh.

You can’t reach a destination unless you drive there.

Tosh was in div 4 then progressed from there. A unique football story.
Martinez div 3.

Martin is trying to get Swansea back to the most competitive and richest league in the world. Just to balance your post.

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 19:47 - May 9 with 2720 viewsDr_Winston

Toshack inherited a club that had been through tough times but had mostly been stabilised on the pitch by Harry Griffiths. Even Tosh has credited HG in the past.

Martinez inherited possibly the strongest setup than any manager had in decades. A club moving forward on and off the pitch with a more than capable squad which had lost its way a little under KJ.

In fairness to him, things weren't as straightforward for Martin as budgets were still plummeting after we dropped out of the Premier League. We should still have done better than we have with the players available, but it's not as if we were primed to advance.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 19:56 - May 9 with 2705 viewsvetchonian

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 19:39 - May 9 by KeithHaynes

You can’t reach a destination unless you drive there.

Tosh was in div 4 then progressed from there. A unique football story.
Martinez div 3.

Martin is trying to get Swansea back to the most competitive and richest league in the world. Just to balance your post.

both Tosh and Martinez had no previously management experience prior to their time here whereas Martin had two seasons prior neither of which ended with success..

whilst lacking years of experience he has had time to understand what does and doesnt work it would seem he is now learning time will

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:07 - May 9 with 2692 viewsKeithHaynes

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 19:56 - May 9 by vetchonian

both Tosh and Martinez had no previously management experience prior to their time here whereas Martin had two seasons prior neither of which ended with success..

whilst lacking years of experience he has had time to understand what does and doesnt work it would seem he is now learning time will

He was 33 when he started, to add balance.

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:29 - May 9 with 2642 viewsvetchonian

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:07 - May 9 by KeithHaynes

He was 33 when he started, to add balance.

How old was Tosh?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:31 - May 9 with 2632 viewsKeithHaynes

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:29 - May 9 by vetchonian

How old was Tosh?

I would say younger, but in div 4.
Nearly 45 years ago.

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:49 - May 9 with 2605 viewsModeratorD

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:31 - May 9 by KeithHaynes

I would say younger, but in div 4.
Nearly 45 years ago.

Had Tosh been asked to start in the old Division 2, he may have not been the succrss he was for Swansea
He was only 28 when he joined Swansea (22nd March
)
Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 21:02 - May 9 with 2597 viewsvetchonian

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 20:49 - May 9 by ModeratorD

Had Tosh been asked to start in the old Division 2, he may have not been the succrss he was for Swansea
He was only 28 when he joined Swansea (22nd March
)

yet Martin started in what was Div 3 when he was 33 so 5 years older than Tosh and in the division above...by thew time Tosh was 33 he had us in Div 1

I like many dont get the "love in" for Martin given the poor football he has mostly served up.slow boring to watch and when many fans could see what he needed to change he stuck with his process....and yes the fans in the stands "always know better" but yet many called for a flat back four and some width and the much talked about recent successful run has come as a result.

IT is all about opinion what I find amusing is earlier in the season many were saying Martin didnt have the players yet we finished the season very well without the addition of new players and missing key players like Allen Fulton and Walsh....the difference being we know played to players strengths and a better suited formation.

He had done enough to continue next season hopefully we will not see as he did at the start of this season a reversion to his process but for all those who said earlier in the season this squad wasnt good enough to get us to the playoffs funny how we finished just 4 points off and when you think of that crazy run form October to April had Russ not been so stubborn what might have been.

Much is written about getting rid of the American owners yet no one can offer who would they be replace with just as those who challenged anyone who has dared to suggest Martin be sacked is always asked who would we replace him with the same stands for the owners .

Our best chance of changing ownership is if we are a PL side so we need to get there and stay for a season or two....the question is is Russ the man to get us there?

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 21:09 - May 9 with 2586 viewsKeithHaynes

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 21:02 - May 9 by vetchonian

yet Martin started in what was Div 3 when he was 33 so 5 years older than Tosh and in the division above...by thew time Tosh was 33 he had us in Div 1

I like many dont get the "love in" for Martin given the poor football he has mostly served up.slow boring to watch and when many fans could see what he needed to change he stuck with his process....and yes the fans in the stands "always know better" but yet many called for a flat back four and some width and the much talked about recent successful run has come as a result.

IT is all about opinion what I find amusing is earlier in the season many were saying Martin didnt have the players yet we finished the season very well without the addition of new players and missing key players like Allen Fulton and Walsh....the difference being we know played to players strengths and a better suited formation.

He had done enough to continue next season hopefully we will not see as he did at the start of this season a reversion to his process but for all those who said earlier in the season this squad wasnt good enough to get us to the playoffs funny how we finished just 4 points off and when you think of that crazy run form October to April had Russ not been so stubborn what might have been.

Much is written about getting rid of the American owners yet no one can offer who would they be replace with just as those who challenged anyone who has dared to suggest Martin be sacked is always asked who would we replace him with the same stands for the owners .

Our best chance of changing ownership is if we are a PL side so we need to get there and stay for a season or two....the question is is Russ the man to get us there?

It’s a big 👏 for him to be compared to Toshack.
For us here on this website we don’t want the majority owners out.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Joint 9th, 4 points Off Playoffs on 21:13 - May 9 with 2568 viewsKeithHaynes

This went well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024