Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why we are where we are? 14:36 - Aug 7 with 4062 viewskrafty80

From football finance guru Kieran Maguire's Twitter -- sorry, 'X' -- account. Yes, it seems Robbie really did spend a QUARTER of the entire League Two paid transfer outlay for the season 2021-22. I guess this is why Big Jim is a Head Coach.

Full thread here, well worth a read (sadly I think you'll need a Twitter/X account to see it all):

One other stat stands out: we were pretty much bang average for income among L2 clubs -- £5.1m brought in versus the £5.2m average for the division. Room for improvement for sure, but not the basket case we sometimes fear we are -- in my opinion anyway.

Food for thought!
Why we are where we are? on 15:14 - Aug 7 with 3929 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Talk about money down the drain! Amazing. ........and now we're well and truly skint.

What a shambles.
Why we are where we are? on 15:35 - Aug 7 with 3856 viewsDaleiLama

Tbh, and no disrespect to the OP, but I don't think many Daleys need KM to tell us we had three managers in BBM, RS and EBJ who set us back years and led us to where we are now. As BJ pointed out, each had a different philosophy and player type. None of those regimes were compatible with the previous one and RS was given the most money to bring in players who earned a lot, and mostly contributed a little.

I already have more confidence in BJ assembling a squad which will be more than the sum of it's parts. He'll also look at the league table, hopefully get Dale back to what it was and not isolate and divide some squad members like some of our previous managers. I'm also hopeful he'll try different approaches if the first doesn't work or is neutralised.

We may be worse of budget-wise, but we may well be better off leadership-wise.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Why we are where we are? on 15:40 - Aug 7 with 3841 viewsDalenet

Robbie did indeed spend money where most clubs didn't. Coming out of covid where the club was losing money it was a ridiculous decision and I am sure the Board regret it. But given our income and reserves at 2021/22 we shouldn't be on the edge now - other than needing to pay off two management teams.

Will be interesting to see how our income has changed since relative to wages. I fear we are still paying many of our squad over £100k a year. There must be talent out there that would play non league football for around £1500 a week. We can't afford to be paying more than £2m a year for player wages at this level.
Why we are where we are? on 15:41 - Aug 7 with 3837 viewsEllDale

Messrs Stockdale and Shan didn't just blow transfer fees.
They recruited a few loan players who weren't automatically in the starting line-up and so were costing needless loan payments - people like Ciaran Slicker and Ben Nelson plus the lad from West Brom whose name I've expunged from my memory.
Why we are where we are? on 15:54 - Aug 7 with 3786 viewsmidlandsdale

I think the leadership is the same isn't it!
Why we are where we are? on 15:57 - Aug 7 with 3755 viewsblackdogblue

It depends how you read into what KM Tweeted, I read it earlier on Twitter..

Yes we might have spent a lot on Transfer Fees, but that is Players In only… not any money we got from Sales is the top graph.

The bottom is money borrowed at £91k…

The data is not a balance sheet, only 2 sets of figures from one…

The low borrowing is encouraging, how we got into a financial mess is a different story but I would not read that much into it, it was publicised we had bought players and all the undisclosed fees turn out to be £186k.. I know we didn’t sign Mbappe but say 4 players? Not a lot for each for a league club

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Why we are where we are? on 16:42 - Aug 7 with 3590 viewskrafty80

Why we are where we are? on 15:57 - Aug 7 by blackdogblue

It depends how you read into what KM Tweeted, I read it earlier on Twitter..

Yes we might have spent a lot on Transfer Fees, but that is Players In only… not any money we got from Sales is the top graph.

The bottom is money borrowed at £91k…

The data is not a balance sheet, only 2 sets of figures from one…

The low borrowing is encouraging, how we got into a financial mess is a different story but I would not read that much into it, it was publicised we had bought players and all the undisclosed fees turn out to be £186k.. I know we didn’t sign Mbappe but say 4 players? Not a lot for each for a league club

I certainly agree with you that it's not a balance sheet, it's just a couple of stats from a single season. But that transfer spending bar chart nevertheless really stopped me in my tracks just because it makes us look like such outliers. I wonder if even when we had the ITV Digital money in 2000 or so to spend on Paul Connor etc we were quite such leaders for transfer spending across the whole division?

Maybe KM will provide a bit more context -- but I guess we know for sure that when the board say they backed RS, they really did.
Why we are where we are? on 17:38 - Aug 7 with 3412 viewsblackdogblue

Why we are where we are? on 16:42 - Aug 7 by krafty80

I certainly agree with you that it's not a balance sheet, it's just a couple of stats from a single season. But that transfer spending bar chart nevertheless really stopped me in my tracks just because it makes us look like such outliers. I wonder if even when we had the ITV Digital money in 2000 or so to spend on Paul Connor etc we were quite such leaders for transfer spending across the whole division?

Maybe KM will provide a bit more context -- but I guess we know for sure that when the board say they backed RS, they really did.

To spend money without borrowing it comes from 3 ways…

Income from other sources
Cash in the bank
borrowing money

Login to get fewer ads

Why we are where we are? on 17:39 - Aug 7 with 3408 views442Dale

It states that those figures are for 21/22. At the end of that season we were told this:

29/4/22
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/april/chairmanmessageseasoncards_22-23/
“the club has a stable financial platform and cash reserves to be well positioned for next season. We have returned during 2021/22 to being a properly and prudently run football club…”
“…we seek to achieve break even or better financial result in each operating season.”
“The Board is planning for a significantly increased playing budget for next season.”

Then on 8/6/22
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/june/watch_simongaugeinterview_070622/
From 5:00 detail is provided about the accounting side of the club, bringing costs under control, increasing revenue to put towards the playing side of the club and other financial information.

We are now where we are. Apparently football is broken or something.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Why we are where we are? on 17:52 - Aug 7 with 3357 viewsjudd

Why we are where we are? on 17:38 - Aug 7 by blackdogblue

To spend money without borrowing it comes from 3 ways…

Income from other sources
Cash in the bank
borrowing money

You said without borrowing money

Poll: What is it to be then?

Why we are where we are? on 18:01 - Aug 7 with 3325 viewsJames1980

Why we are where we are? on 17:39 - Aug 7 by 442Dale

It states that those figures are for 21/22. At the end of that season we were told this:

29/4/22
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/april/chairmanmessageseasoncards_22-23/
“the club has a stable financial platform and cash reserves to be well positioned for next season. We have returned during 2021/22 to being a properly and prudently run football club…”
“…we seek to achieve break even or better financial result in each operating season.”
“The Board is planning for a significantly increased playing budget for next season.”

Then on 8/6/22
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/june/watch_simongaugeinterview_070622/
From 5:00 detail is provided about the accounting side of the club, bringing costs under control, increasing revenue to put towards the playing side of the club and other financial information.

We are now where we are. Apparently football is broken or something.

Energy prices won't have helped and also the money paid out for solicitors fees and to buy the shares MH got their grubby mitts on.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Why we are where we are? on 18:15 - Aug 7 with 3279 views442Dale

Why we are where we are? on 18:01 - Aug 7 by James1980

Energy prices won't have helped and also the money paid out for solicitors fees and to buy the shares MH got their grubby mitts on.

Rising costs get a mention in the first link. The club, like the rest of us, were well aware of the potential huge increases in this area.

For example, from February last year, prior to the announcement about a “significantly increased playing budget”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60506940.amp

Details about the Morton House shares:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/august/statement_26.08.22/

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Why we are where we are? on 18:37 - Aug 7 with 3209 viewsJames1980

Why we are where we are? on 18:15 - Aug 7 by 442Dale

Rising costs get a mention in the first link. The club, like the rest of us, were well aware of the potential huge increases in this area.

For example, from February last year, prior to the announcement about a “significantly increased playing budget”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60506940.amp

Details about the Morton House shares:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/august/statement_26.08.22/

But there are four months between the Stable financial platform post and the post regarding the share purchase.
Maybe this is something the trust should be questioning why the disparity.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Why we are where we are? on 18:37 - Aug 7 with 3208 viewsblackdogblue

Why we are where we are? on 17:52 - Aug 7 by judd

That was an oxymoron Judd… 😀

When options are ruled out it loops back & includes the discounted…

Maybe they borrowed half the money?
[Post edited 7 Aug 2023 18:39]

Why we are where we are? on 11:33 - Aug 9 with 2401 viewsDorkingDale

Why we are where we are? on 17:52 - Aug 7 by judd

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024