Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 87204 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:44 - Nov 7 with 4201 viewsDWQPR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:32 - Nov 7 by QPRConor2000

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/qpr-stadium.html?sortBy=relevant

Just looking at the School End, and I do honestly wonder if its actually possible to remodel that stand into a single tier within the current footprint?

You could knock the whole interior of the stand down and rebuild the stand into one single tiered stand, I recon capacity could be around 2500 ish if we done that along with a better concourse.

Also you could make away allocations more flexible given the fact that you already have entrances/exits on SA Road and Ellerslie Road, so you could ether give the whole stand, three fourths of the stand, half the stand or a quarter of the stand.

I just wonder if my idea is actually feasible?

Looking at the School End on Google Earth, and someone did mention it earlier in the thread a 'City Ground' style of stand is certainly possible if we were to acquire the land from the school. The footprint is already there beyond the back gardens on Imre Close. It could possible add I can only assume an additional 500 seats to the School End but if in conjunction with a remodelled SAR stand, if the club could convince the council that past the ground that SAR could become a traffic light controlled single lane this could certainly provide a few thousand extra seats bringing the capacity back beyond 20,000. The remainder of the school land could be used for corporate/entertainment facilities plus a new club store.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:41 - Nov 7 with 3965 viewsStanisgod

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:26 - Oct 11 by Gloucs_R

So whilst we go into a 10th year of waiting for a new stadium..... Another club announces a new stadium...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-67052207

Plus Luton...

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2023/may/imagine-the-power/

I'm struggling to think of any club in the southeast with an older stadium, undeveloped, than us now....

Stevenage and Colchester??

Southend.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:49 - Nov 7 with 3931 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:44 - Nov 7 by DWQPR

Looking at the School End on Google Earth, and someone did mention it earlier in the thread a 'City Ground' style of stand is certainly possible if we were to acquire the land from the school. The footprint is already there beyond the back gardens on Imre Close. It could possible add I can only assume an additional 500 seats to the School End but if in conjunction with a remodelled SAR stand, if the club could convince the council that past the ground that SAR could become a traffic light controlled single lane this could certainly provide a few thousand extra seats bringing the capacity back beyond 20,000. The remainder of the school land could be used for corporate/entertainment facilities plus a new club store.

I dont think its possible, but I like your thinking.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:39 - Nov 7 with 3769 viewsnadera78

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:32 - Nov 7 by QPRConor2000

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/qpr-stadium.html?sortBy=relevant

Just looking at the School End, and I do honestly wonder if its actually possible to remodel that stand into a single tier within the current footprint?

You could knock the whole interior of the stand down and rebuild the stand into one single tiered stand, I recon capacity could be around 2500 ish if we done that along with a better concourse.

Also you could make away allocations more flexible given the fact that you already have entrances/exits on SA Road and Ellerslie Road, so you could ether give the whole stand, three fourths of the stand, half the stand or a quarter of the stand.

I just wonder if my idea is actually feasible?

The School End seats 3,100 people. The overhang from having two tiers means you get a higher capacity on that space than if it was a single tier stand. Why would you demolish it and build a smaller capacity stand?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:45 - Nov 7 with 3723 viewsBoston

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:44 - Nov 7 by DWQPR

Worth a shot, council never got back to me about digging an underpass.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:53 - Nov 7 with 3688 viewsQPRConor2000

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:39 - Nov 7 by nadera78

The School End seats 3,100 people. The overhang from having two tiers means you get a higher capacity on that space than if it was a single tier stand. Why would you demolish it and build a smaller capacity stand?

No, i'm not talking about knocking the stand down entirely, I'm only talking about knocking the interior of the stand down.

Im talking about reprofiling it into a single tiered stand.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 19:03]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 19:04 - Nov 7 with 3640 viewsGroveR

There's bits of this thread that are like my missus when she wants to knock one of the walls in our house down. When told it's a "load-bearing" wall, she just asks the same question in different ways to different people until it becomes un-load-bearing and she gets the answer she wanted at the start.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 19:14 - Nov 7 with 3590 viewsBoston

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 19:04 - Nov 7 by GroveR

There's bits of this thread that are like my missus when she wants to knock one of the walls in our house down. When told it's a "load-bearing" wall, she just asks the same question in different ways to different people until it becomes un-load-bearing and she gets the answer she wanted at the start.

Never let anyone explain steel lintels to her.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:29 - Nov 7 with 3419 viewslassel

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:53 - Nov 7 by QPRConor2000

No, i'm not talking about knocking the stand down entirely, I'm only talking about knocking the interior of the stand down.

But the point is that it would cost tens of millions to most likely end up with a reduced capacity.

Ultimately there are things they *could* do to make LR more ‘comfortable’, but nothing to increase capacity, or at least not by enough to ever recoup the investment.

And what’s the point of spending tens of millions ‘only’ to smarten the place up
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:50 - Nov 7 with 3364 viewsLazyFan

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:29 - Nov 7 by lassel

But the point is that it would cost tens of millions to most likely end up with a reduced capacity.

Ultimately there are things they *could* do to make LR more ‘comfortable’, but nothing to increase capacity, or at least not by enough to ever recoup the investment.

And what’s the point of spending tens of millions ‘only’ to smarten the place up

Agreed, there is no point.

We need a new stadium, which means either the council will come on board or move out of the borough.

We can see now that with 3 prem clubs on their doorstep, they feel they don't need us, so, we are more hassle than we are worth and can go do one.

Therefore, we shall need to move out to where a council wants us and we can build a stadium. If, we don't do this, we are dead.

We need a 40K stadium, we need to be large to attract the players and fans and we need it to be multi-purpose so, we can bring in revenue weekly no matter what week that is.

One great achievement from the owner is the new training ground. This is close to state-of-the-art (not quite) and this does help us with players.

Along with the London thing, of course. I mean if you are French and will only speak French and don't really like English, you may put up with your hubby playing in London (as we have many French schools) for a few years to earn the money before slipping back off to France for the final payday and settling down for good. Barbets.

I remember the good old days when players like Andy Gray left Aston Villa for QPR just because we were in London and Brum was terrible to live in. This is the attraction of London to some.

zzzzzzzzzz

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:42 - Nov 8 with 3102 viewsDavieQPR

The whole thing is not to increase the Away area or even to increase the capacity of a ground we don't fill anyway. The thinking is to improve the size and facilities in the Corporate area. This is to try and turn it into a 'multi purpose' stadium with non football revenues.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 08:21 - Nov 8 with 2869 viewsKonk

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:50 - Nov 7 by LazyFan

We need a new stadium, which means either the council will come on board or move out of the borough.

We can see now that with 3 prem clubs on their doorstep, they feel they don't need us, so, we are more hassle than we are worth and can go do one.

Therefore, we shall need to move out to where a council wants us and we can build a stadium. If, we don't do this, we are dead.

We need a 40K stadium, we need to be large to attract the players and fans and we need it to be multi-purpose so, we can bring in revenue weekly no matter what week that is.

One great achievement from the owner is the new training ground. This is close to state-of-the-art (not quite) and this does help us with players.

Along with the London thing, of course. I mean if you are French and will only speak French and don't really like English, you may put up with your hubby playing in London (as we have many French schools) for a few years to earn the money before slipping back off to France for the final payday and settling down for good. Barbets.

I remember the good old days when players like Andy Gray left Aston Villa for QPR just because we were in London and Brum was terrible to live in. This is the attraction of London to some.

When Fulham were on our arse, and Chelsea and Rangers were both in the top division, the council were very supportive of keeping the club at the club at the Cottage and made a big thing about wanting to keep 3 clubs in the Borough. I don’t really follow local politics in H&F anymore, so that policy may have changed, but given co-operation is often built upon good relationships and mutual respect, is it possible that personal relationships between Rangers and the council were poor, and that changes at board level might help in that regard? Not sure that Fernandes came across great with the Old Oak Common/Car Giant stuff, for instance. On the other hand, with Local authorities struggling to finance even basic services, they can’t really be seen to be giving too much to football clubs with wealthy owners.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:15 - Nov 8 with 2744 viewsdutch

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:50 - Nov 7 by LazyFan

Yet again NO. How far out of the borough maintains our identity? Hounslow, Perivale, Milton Keynes maybe? The USP of QPR is our location, a truly urban west London club with wonderful transport links, bars, restaurants etc. Brentford prove that you do not need a bigger capacity in the prem, it is almost irrelevant financially. You do need a tidy, attractive ground, and you are right being in London is vital to attract players, but W147 or wherever is hardly London. Make Loftus Road a more comfortable, modern facility, (a boutique anybody) move the offices away to generate more space and revel in who and where we are.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:44 - Nov 8 with 2680 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:15 - Nov 8 by dutch

Yet again NO. How far out of the borough maintains our identity? Hounslow, Perivale, Milton Keynes maybe? The USP of QPR is our location, a truly urban west London club with wonderful transport links, bars, restaurants etc. Brentford prove that you do not need a bigger capacity in the prem, it is almost irrelevant financially. You do need a tidy, attractive ground, and you are right being in London is vital to attract players, but W147 or wherever is hardly London. Make Loftus Road a more comfortable, modern facility, (a boutique anybody) move the offices away to generate more space and revel in who and where we are.

Just playing devil's advocate here but what would you say about West Ham now four miles away in Stratford previously in Upton Park but still in the borough of Newham? Just curious to know.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:47 - Nov 8 with 2659 viewsRangersDave

the scrubs site is still my favourite for a new ground.

A new ground would do that side of the A40 proud, and for the life of me i cannot see why the council wont let us do it, while we relinquish LR to their new development scheme?

We could offer to build a station opposite the ground and some local shops (for local people 😉), and make easy access to transport links etc.

But it would need serious movement in attitudes by all the muck a mucks, as time is literally running out for relocation..... Old Oak still available? as in not build on yet?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:50 - Nov 8 with 2642 viewsconnell10

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:15 - Nov 8 by dutch

West Drayton just for convenience would be nice

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:50 - Nov 8 with 2640 viewsdutch

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:44 - Nov 8 by CamberleyR

Just playing devil's advocate here but what would you say about West Ham now four miles away in Stratford previously in Upton Park but still in the borough of Newham? Just curious to know.

I would say that almost every west ham fan I have spoken to hates it there. Miles from the pitch, almost zero atmosphere etc. Has it been a success? How do you measure these things, they have maintained their prem status, but probably would have done so anyway. And Stratford is a pretty urban space, well served by transport etc. There is no equivalent in West London I can think of, except perhaps what Old Oak Common will become, and that is off the cards.

If we were presented with a cut price ready built stadium in say Harlesden or Acton then maybe we should consider it, but that is not going to happen.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:32 - Nov 8 with 2568 viewsnadera78

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 18:53 - Nov 7 by QPRConor2000

That makes no sense. A single tiered stand would have a smaller capacity than a two-tiered stand.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:33 - Nov 8 with 2561 viewsnadera78

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:42 - Nov 8 by DavieQPR

The whole thing is not to increase the Away area or even to increase the capacity of a ground we don't fill anyway. The thinking is to improve the size and facilities in the Corporate area. This is to try and turn it into a 'multi purpose' stadium with non football revenues.

We don't sell out (or rarely anyway) because 1/4 of the stadium is terrible for watching football.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:14 - Nov 8 with 2321 viewsbosh67

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:33 - Nov 8 by nadera78

We don't sell out (or rarely anyway) because 1/4 of the stadium is terrible for watching football.

To be fair the other 3/4 of the stadium has been pretty terrible for watching football over the last year.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:22 - Nov 8 with 2295 viewsTGRRRSSS

Why do the Borough hate us?

It s question, and something the club should do more of to pester the MP etc.

However I don't think our owners are interested anymore, and I am sure had the Mittal group been interested they could have hgot something done years ago.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:24 - Nov 8 with 2280 viewsTGRRRSSS

Meanwhile in Blackpool

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24389652/live-next-stadium-homeless-christmas/
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:34 - Nov 8 with 2244 viewsJuzzie

We don't need 40k either. How often would we fill it, even in the PL? Even non-football events would need to be attractive enough to justify 40k.

Unless we have a two-tier ground that designed so the lower tier holds around 25k and the upper tier 15k. The upper tier can then remain closed until such time demand requires it can be used. Though this would mean there are still maintenance costs etc to keep the upper tier safe & useable.

edit: also, any planning permissions etc that would be needed would have to take into account footfall, access to & from the ground, public transport access, road access etc etc and have to be agreed based on the max capacity even if that was only ever attained a few times a season so that would almost be not worthwhile. 25k is enough I think.

[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 16:56]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:52 - Nov 8 with 2202 viewsslmrstid

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:14 - Nov 8 by bosh67

To be fair the other 3/4 of the stadium has been pretty terrible for watching football over the last year.

I suppose you could argue the 1/4 of the ground that the School End occupies has been the best place to watch football for the past 18 months...
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:24 - Nov 8 with 2045 viewsLazyFan

I want us to stay in the Borough, but if the owners and the council cannot agree, then we have to move.

Any fantasy wannbe ideas of how we can stay and rebuild Loftus Road are fanciful as that is a waste of money which could be spent on a brand new stadium with purpose-built facilities that also generate other monies. Every owner would see that and be advised on it.

As for some who say we don't need 45K, yes, we do. If you have only, say 30K and you get in the Prem (which is the idea), then that's lost revenue for the 45K you could have got. In addition, if its purpose is built for other events, then you need that size for those events too.

We can get 13K when we are rubbish as we are now, imagine if we were in the Prem not of the past but of today (as in we have a 45K stadium, state-of-the-art facilities and money from Moneyball players), it is not unrealistic to imagine we could get 45K.

Especially as rivals on our doorstep are increasing their attendance and others like Reading are disappearing. The direction is evident, increase capacity or sell players for magic monies every year or never get relegated from the Prem or die. As the others are harder to do ALL THE TIME, death it is then.

If we have a 45K stadium in London (world class city) then we shall be in the top ten of England and I believe we would fill it within a decade and regular.

Top ten list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_England

Its this or death as we are already dying from losing money every month.

zzzzzzzzzz

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024