Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midland Saint - WBA game report 21:29 - Nov 16 with 720 viewssaintwizzler

SAINTS 2 WBA 1
“…Sometimes when we're as close as this
It's like we're in a dream…”

In my minds eye I see West Brom as a quintessential second division fixture. A view probably skewed by us beating them three times in 75-76. But actually we hadn’t played them at this level since 2008. I was a little concerned that our team depleted by injury and suspension might struggle against a team who were in good form. In the event, we achieved a good result from a very good game in which both teams tried to play football. Far from being a weak link, Holgate stepped up to the challenge of replacing Bednarek – with a huge help from the magnificent Harwood-Bellis. We did of course have to go through the routine of winning the game twice. Pleasingly, the winner came at a time when West Brom looked the team most likely to get the three points. It was a great way to go into yet another international break.

Since I was driving down on my own I made an early start. That meant diverting through Banbury to avoid the chaos of the M40 closure did not show me down that much. Lunch was in the Steingarten.

Remarkably, the crowds at St Mary’s have stood up very well. Over 30,000 again today, with a large travelling contingent from along the Handsworth Road.

The away team did not change their kit and turned out in a very nice early 70s style strip of navy and white stripes that is a tribute to the late Jeff Astle. The Saints team was as you would expect, with Holgate in for Bednarek. Surprisingly Bree was available after having to go off injured at Millwall.

Before kick-off we had the silence for Poppy Day, followed by an extremely quick taking the knee.

What struck me about the West Brom team was that they seemed to be ripped giants, with a decent turn of speed. They certainly proved a string test. But Saints looked to be their equal, playing some fluent football with the ball zipping around the pitch.

The lead came very quickly. Stuart Armstrong crossed in from the left. Adam had a shot that the keeper blocked. Smallbone followed up. The ball was cleared but was already over the line, so far that Mr Nield probably didn’t need the help of goal line technology.

The neat passing continued without really creating any decent chances. A couple of times it looked like Adam Armstrong was away only for the flag to be up for offside. We didn’t seem a lot from Sulemana as the defenders were keeping a close eye on him. Generally, when he did get the ball it was to his feet, rather than a yard or two ahead where he is most effective.

West Brom came into the game and it was time to do some defending. Holgate very sensibly took a yellow card for the team to stop a break. Just before the break he made an amazing block to divert a certain goal-band shot past the post.

As we expected, the away side came out with resolve and caused us some real difficulties. It felt like we were holding on from the restart. Smallbone had to go off in only the 55th minute and was replaced by Fraser, it shows how much the stock of the number 26 has risen in recent weeks.

In the 65th minute a corner from the left ended up on the other side of the goal. It was retrieved from going out in a manner that would have had Arsenal howling. When the ball was played back in it was headed against the bar. It dropped vertically on to the foot of the potentially offside Bartley who ran it into the goal without knowing much about it.

The trio of subs who had been watching from the touchline then got on the pitch. Adams replaced Sulemana’s activity with indolence, Charles replaced Downes to strengthen midfield and Manning was on for Bree who we reasonably could not have expected to last the whole game.

It looked worryingly like West Brom might get the winner, especially when another header hit the bar. But unlike the awful atmosphere back in September the crowd were fully behind the team and the players rallied.

With 10 minutes left the team did what was needed and made the most of a rare attack. Fraser crossed from the left. Stuart Armstrong climbed but it may have been a defender who flicked it on. Close in at the far post, Adam Armstrong took a touch and then calmly fired the ball through the small space available in a crowded goal – just like he couldn’t in the Premier League.

A few minutes later the goal scoring hero made way for the semi-mythical Stewart, making his debut at last. In the limited time available he did look useful.

There was still quite a lot of defending to do as the game went into an extra 7 minutes. When Bazunu produced a magnificent save to spoon the ball up and out of the goal we knew it was our day.
West Brom were a little unlucky and will win games playing like this. That made our victory all the sweeter. It was a smooth and enjoyable drive home, thinking about the 30 points that felt beyond our wildest dreams in mid-September.

Saints team: 31Bazunu 2Walker-Peters 6Holgate 21Harwood-Bellis 14Bree (Manning 66') 17S Armstrong 16Smallbone (Fraser 55') 4Downes (Charles 67') 22Alcaraz 9A Armstrong (Stewart 83') 20Sulemana (Adams 66')

Substitutes: 1McCarthy 3Manning 7Aribo 10Adams 11Stewart 18Mara 23Edozie 24Charles 26Fraser

Summary: Good result from a good game Top Man: Holgate
Next report: Huddersfield
Lyrics: Billy Bragg – Greetings to the new brunette

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024