Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The James boys & Curtis 12:59 - Apr 21 with 864 viewsKeithHaynes

v Liverpool away

v Liverpool home

v Arsenal

v Manchester United

v Nottingham Forest

v Leeds United

v Newcastle United

v Stoke City

v Cardiff City

v Tottenham Hotspur

v Manchester City

v Ipswich Town

v Everton

Collection

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The James boys & Curtis on 09:33 - Apr 23 with 413 viewsKeithHaynes

That first season in the big league we were unstoppable at times, just a few away results that caused grief. And a poor last six games run in. Anyone at WBA, we were well beaten but the police must have thrown out about a hundred. Not the best of moves as they had a large number of nutters outside the ground and no police.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The James boys & Curtis on 17:48 - Apr 23 with 298 viewsAnotherJohn

That was a great season, although I had moved away for work reasons and only saw a couple of games (Leeds being the highlight). I always thought our demise the following season was mainly due to a run of injuries, but looking at some of these games I wonder if there were signs of defensive frailty even at the end of that first great top-flight season. These matches from over 20 years ago bring home how much the game has changed between then and now. Then we had some nice passing movements but used the long ball a lot more and relied quite a lot on the aerial route to goal. Apart from rule changes, there have been changes in the way the rules are applied, such as the indirect free kick thing that Keith mentioned in another thread. Some things seem partly about fashion. Nowadays keepers rarely throw out the ball with the hand starting above the elbow and brought downwards as both Grobbelaar and Dai Davies did. They were more likely to spread themselves in one-on-ones rather than the "standing up well" which we hear about now, and the ball was generally kicked up field from the hands. Are these changes things goalkeeping coaches have decreed I wonder?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024