Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes 09:43 - Apr 28 with 29588 viewswessex_exile

As suggested on the matchday thread, let’s kick off the traditional summer transfer speculation. I’ll start with our current loanees. I doubt Palace would release Owen Goodman, and if they did, would we want him or even be able to afford him? Of the rest, I’d definitely like to see Alastair Smith and maybe Riley Harbottle sign if they were released. As for the rest, they’ll be heading back to make room for new choices.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:33 - Jul 4 with 935 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:40 - Jul 4 by RSCOSWORTH

Does the academy have any impact on the first team budget? I thought they were treated separately in terms of financial fair play rules?

The old FFP chestnut, which for L1/L2 amounts to the Salary Cost Management Protocol (“SCMP”), which is nothing like the rules for the Prem and Championship.

It can be dressed up however you like, but as far as I’m aware cash injections are still OK in L1/L2 (as long as they are not loans).

Now, it’s MrC’s money and he's entitled to do whatever he likes with it, just as we are entitled to our opinions on the matter. The fact that he has invested massive amounts is not in question, his generosity is quite staggering. He must love the club every bit as much as us.

If we put Col U aside and talk in general. Nowadays, I believe your average L1/L2 owner can expect to lose about £1M-£2M each year propping up their club. Now, if you can’t stand the heat, then stay out of the Kitchen. Anyone who wants to massage their ego by buying a superyacht, racehorse or football club can expect to lose money, otherwise we would all own one. The chances of running a club at this level that doesn’t make a loss is very, very slim. As far as I’m concerned, if you want to be the big ‘I am’ and own a football club, then have the common decency to chip the necessary funds, as and when required, otherwise leave it to someone else.

Now, you can look at this however you like, but if a generous owner thinks, instead of propping up the club each year, like I have been, I’m going to spend loads of cash on a great set up that will help the club in the future and make it self-sufficient, then that’s fantastic. ………. providing it works. If it doesn’t work it’s not hard to envisage a scenario whereby the money runs out and it’s bad for owner and club. The problem is, when do you know if it works or not? Do you get in so deep that there’s no escape? Do you cut your losses or stick with it? If it would work, why isn’t every club doing it? Obviously, everyone would have different opinions on each of those questions.

You can see how players would need to be sold because the owner cannot afford to prop up the club, because his/her cash has been spent elsewhere. You can only spend it once.

We can argue about which pocket the money belongs in, but the overall situation remains the same.
[Post edited 4 Jul 13:34]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:07 - Jul 4 with 900 viewsBLACKCAT

How others view you.
Interesting comment on Gillingham's Blues Rock Cafe message-board.
" Ex-Charlton Jack Payne has joined Col. U.. They are making some serious signings".

Well things are looking a little brighter surely.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:12 - Jul 4 with 892 viewsburnsieespana

I didn't know until today that although DC only played semi pro football he was actually in the Wimbledon Academy.
In 2017 Huddersield downgraded there Academy to Cat 4 but ate now looking to upgrade and recently they achieved Cat 3.
DC & NC were Managers in 2019/20.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:05 - Jul 4 with 833 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Alex Woodyard joins.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/july/04/woodyard-signs-u-s-deal/

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=54534&season_id=155

We won't be having the youngest squad in League Two next season that's for sure!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:10 - Jul 4 with 791 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:05 - Jul 4 by RSCOSWORTH

Alex Woodyard joins.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/july/04/woodyard-signs-u-s-deal/

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=54534&season_id=155

We won't be having the youngest squad in League Two next season that's for sure!

Well known to the Cowleys, and they always seem to get the best out of him too. Good solid signing, with plenty of experience.

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:12 - Jul 4 with 787 viewsbwildered

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:10 - Jul 4 by wessex_exile

Well known to the Cowleys, and they always seem to get the best out of him too. Good solid signing, with plenty of experience.

Solid if unspectacular.
Bit like the squad being assembled.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:36 - Jul 4 with 757 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:12 - Jul 4 by bwildered

Solid if unspectacular.

We just need a team who will work hard and do the job of getting us up the league - spectacular and stylish performances are afterthoughts.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:03 - Jul 4 with 743 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:36 - Jul 4 by CrashBandicoot

We just need a team who will work hard and do the job of getting us up the league - spectacular and stylish performances are afterthoughts.

Exactly, we've had many spectacular and stylish players over the last four years, and look how that's worked out. Good time to give a bunch of gnarly hard-working experienced professionals a go I reckon.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:06 - Jul 4 with 738 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:12 - Jul 4 by bwildered

Solid if unspectacular.

A 31 year-old with 28 apperances last season for YORK CITY and no goals? Who's place is he going to take?

A spring chicken compared with Lyle Taylor.

FFS
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:17 - Jul 4 with 715 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:03 - Jul 4 by wessex_exile

Exactly, we've had many spectacular and stylish players over the last four years, and look how that's worked out. Good time to give a bunch of gnarly hard-working experienced professionals a go I reckon.

It’ll be like watching Dad’s Army.

If young Jack gets booked in midfield, can we expect the rest of the team to shout ‘Don’t tell him Payne’

Yes, shut it Private Fraizer, we know.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:34 - Jul 4 with 702 viewsDaniel

I'm attempting to keep the squad list on here up to date with the ins and outs
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/colchesterunited/squad/

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:48 - Jul 4 with 698 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:06 - Jul 4 by TheOldOakTree

A 31 year-old with 28 apperances last season for YORK CITY and no goals? Who's place is he going to take?

A spring chicken compared with Lyle Taylor.

FFS

Been largely ever-present (40+ appearances) in every team he's played for since 2013, under a multitude of different managers, yes including the Cowleys. Prior to spending a year of his two year contract at York, that includes five consecutive seasons at League 1 level (Peterborough, six months on loan at Tranmere and AFC Wimbledon), and at 31 he's hardly in the twilight of his career?

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:51 - Jul 4 with 650 viewsWitham

You can see the strategy behind all of our signings. To sign boys that have had success in Essex before, that maybe have roots in Essex and the local area, is so important. Some that we've worked with before.

I agree with this quote. We have in the past signed and then released players whose family lived some way away, or who couldn't settle, or even afford to live in the area

In an earlier career I worked for an organisation that offered great support to newly qualified staff. We supported them then they buggered off. So we trained up our long serving support staff, and stopped recruiting from afar.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:04 - Jul 4 with 625 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:51 - Jul 4 by Witham

You can see the strategy behind all of our signings. To sign boys that have had success in Essex before, that maybe have roots in Essex and the local area, is so important. Some that we've worked with before.

I agree with this quote. We have in the past signed and then released players whose family lived some way away, or who couldn't settle, or even afford to live in the area

In an earlier career I worked for an organisation that offered great support to newly qualified staff. We supported them then they buggered off. So we trained up our long serving support staff, and stopped recruiting from afar.

You make an excellent point. In terms of place of birth, never mind where they've largely followed their career:

Alex Woodyard - Gravesend
Lyle Taylor - Greenwich
Jack Payne - Tower Hamlets
Rob Hunt - Dagenham
John-Kymani Gordon - Croydon
Ben Goodliffe - Watford
Harry Anderson - Chertsey
Matt Macey - Bath (the only outlier)
[Post edited 4 Jul 21:06]

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:18 - Jul 4 with 608 viewsfranksic1988

It’s hard to really gauge how these signings will fair…. But a common theme is they all played ( or most ) played for DC and NC when both them and the management duo were on the up. Riding the crest of the wave and had momentum. Now it seems they’ve all been treading water for a long time. Some I’d say stagnating.

We have a lot of experience but does that experience still have a lot of legs and ability to carry out what they once was. You’re not going to teach all them old dogs new tricks.

Time will be the judge but it’s hardly an inspiring uplifting recruitment memo…. Let’s just signs the majority of players we had 8/10 years ago when they was good. We will be known as the last chance saloon 11
[Post edited 4 Jul 21:21]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:35 - Jul 4 with 599 viewsLeadbelly

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:17 - Jul 4 by TheOldOakTree

It’ll be like watching Dad’s Army.

If young Jack gets booked in midfield, can we expect the rest of the team to shout ‘Don’t tell him Payne’

Yes, shut it Private Fraizer, we know.

Captain Mainwaring rather than Private Frazier.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 23:01 - Jul 4 with 543 viewsnoah4x4

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:35 - Jul 4 by Leadbelly

I claim the credit for shouting “Don’t give him your name Pike” when Rikael Pyke got yellow carded at Crewe. Universal laughter from both home and away supporters.

I’d waited about three months for the opportunity!
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:10 - Jul 5 with 482 viewsRSCOSWORTH

McGeehan's departure confirmed. Disappointing but not a surprise. Can see him at a League One club next season, will be a bit annoyed if he ends up in League Two.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:51 - Jul 5 with 468 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:10 - Jul 5 by RSCOSWORTH

McGeehan's departure confirmed. Disappointing but not a surprise. Can see him at a League One club next season, will be a bit annoyed if he ends up in League Two.

How did we do so bad when half the team has / will move onto a higher division. It’s mind blowing… the basic makeup of our team has moved on 90% to higher leagues….
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:18 - Jul 5 with 456 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:35 - Jul 4 by Leadbelly

The last two paragraphs weren’t related.

https://www.google.com/search?q=private+frazer+doomed&sca_esv=378ea24661acfe
[Post edited 5 Jul 10:20]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:41 - Jul 5 with 432 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:51 - Jul 5 by franksic1988

How did we do so bad when half the team has / will move onto a higher division. It’s mind blowing… the basic makeup of our team has moved on 90% to higher leagues….

Most of those players came from higher division clubs to begin with but according to a number of fans were "terrible signings" and "rubbish players" and that the club lacked ambition. Three managers in one season, for the second consecutive season, tells it's own story. Injuries to key players and a squad so short of confidence and belief it's untrue. The regular battering by their own fans probably didn't help matters either.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 12:58 - Jul 5 with 387 viewsdurham_exile

If we can retain the services of Arthur Read then that will be a great result.

Very disappointed to lose McGeehan.

Only promotion to league one will allow us to retain the better players.

With eight new signings our team will look vastly different this season. The Cowleys certainly have their own stamp on the squad.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:49 - Jul 5 with 306 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:10 - Jul 5 by RSCOSWORTH

Signed a two year deal for Northampton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c2501n1xwrno

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:52 - Jul 5 with 304 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:49 - Jul 5 by RSCOSWORTH

Cobblers!
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:48 - Jul 5 with 240 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:49 - Jul 5 by RSCOSWORTH

Not a huge step up as they could easily get relegated next season but maybe better money and security of a 2 year deal although would have thought we would have offered that.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024