Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The City view on Hughes. 20:09 - Sep 4 with 4532 viewsJonDoeman

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=264743

It Is What It Is !!

The City view on Hughes. on 11:54 - Sep 5 with 848 viewssmegma

The City view on Hughes. on 11:34 - Sep 5 by adhoc_qpr

I also hate the way everyone brands out escape 'lucky' - we stayed up because we got more points than Bolton over the season.

On the last day of the season Bolton's two goals were a freak richochet and a mis-hit cross from 25 yards - and they call us lucky!

Me too. We 'stayed up by the skin of our teeth' is the often said mantra but no one ever mentions 'Citeh won the league by the skin of their teeth' though. They were 2-1 down to 10 men going into injury time. Everyone forgets how shockingly bad they were 2nd half that day. Botlon knew they HAD TO WIN to stay up, anything else and they were relegated. They didn't win, period.
The City view on Hughes. on 12:07 - Sep 5 with 833 viewsCharlie1

I also hate the way everyone brands out escape 'lucky' - we stayed up because we got more points than Bolton over the season.

On the last day of the season Bolton's two goals were a freak richochet and a mis-hit cross from 25 yards - and they call us lucky!

+1

2:59 baby!

The City view on Hughes. on 12:07 - Sep 5 with 832 viewsCharlie1

The City view on Hughes. on 11:54 - Sep 5 by smegma

Me too. We 'stayed up by the skin of our teeth' is the often said mantra but no one ever mentions 'Citeh won the league by the skin of their teeth' though. They were 2-1 down to 10 men going into injury time. Everyone forgets how shockingly bad they were 2nd half that day. Botlon knew they HAD TO WIN to stay up, anything else and they were relegated. They didn't win, period.

+1

2:59 baby!

The City view on Hughes. on 12:14 - Sep 5 with 821 viewsTacticalR

Staying up at the last minute was always the plan.

Air hostess clique

The City view on Hughes. on 12:29 - Sep 5 with 800 viewsadhoc_qpr

The City view on Hughes. on 12:14 - Sep 5 by TacticalR

Staying up at the last minute was always the plan.

To be fair we were never in the relegation places from the 66th minute onwards!
The City view on Hughes. on 14:15 - Sep 5 with 761 viewsW7Ranger

The City view on Hughes. on 12:29 - Sep 5 by adhoc_qpr

To be fair we were never in the relegation places from the 66th minute onwards!

Earlier then that I think. When Cisse equalised (48th min?), we were out of the relegation zone on goal difference.
The City view on Hughes. on 14:43 - Sep 5 with 735 viewsTacticalR

The City view on Hughes. on 14:15 - Sep 5 by W7Ranger

Earlier then that I think. When Cisse equalised (48th min?), we were out of the relegation zone on goal difference.

Staying up in the 48th minute of the last match was always the plan.

Air hostess clique

The City view on Hughes. on 14:52 - Sep 5 with 724 viewsNeil_SI

I think it's fair that the jury is still out on him. He's talked the talk and now he has to walk the walk. I don't care what personnel there is at the club, the performances on the pitch should — after 9 months — be better than they are right now.

It is important to show patience and support though. I loved him as a player but I have never been impressed by any of his previous teams, regardless of what position they ended up in the league table.

And I still haven't seen us play what I consider is "proper football" or "well" for an entire ninety minutes under him. I think he has done a lot of good stuff off the pitch, but it's what happens on it that matters most.

There's a tremendous opportunity for him to leave a legacy that is unrivalled here, and there can be no excuse because he's had his way and been handed a new youth set-up, new scouting set-up, new training ground, potentially a new stadium and the opportunity to spend vast amounts on new players and salaries.

There are very few managers that will be afforded that much scope and resources to play around with — essentially he's had free reign — and I live in hope that it will all click and come together, and that the bits we're not so pleased with are simply teething issues that will be resolved with time.

But I think the wider problem, is that even if he does well here and is successful, we share some similarities with Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United, where as a fan base we do expect a certain form of entertainment, style and approach from our teams and I'm unsure if Hughes can deliver that. It's not the QPR way — but by the same token, that doesn't mean it can't change, but he's got to really deliver and deliver well to make that kind of impact.

From a personal point of view, I love coaches who can take any player and make them better. Glenn Hoddle was superb at this, making players like Chris Marsden at Southampton into someone who at 35 at the time, was being touted for England.

Some will disagree with this one, but George Burley was also fantastic at just taking an average set of players and making them understand how to play better.

Look what Manchester United did with Andy Cole. A raw striker turned into a complete team centre forward, or even Cristiano Ronaldo, who had no end product on arrival and was just all tricks for the camera. Joe Cole suffered from the same problems, yet it took until Jose Mourinho to appear to start making him play properly. After years of patience, Wenger turned a very average Alex Song turned into a dominating midfielder that now players for Barcelona.

They all see ability and potential, they all have patience and they all know how to educate players at whatever stage of their career that they're at.

While we need to show patience to Mark Hughes and his team, he also needs to show that to his players if he really believes in his abilities. The replacement of Rob Green was not good. It shows a lack of planning and forward thinking. It's all about the here and now with him and shows a lack of a strategy for the goalkeeping position over a period of time. Manchester United's development of their squad and the way Sir Alex Ferguson rebuilds it every few years is just stunningly good — but it's not luck. It's well planned, well excuted and with patience, good education and belief in what they are doing.

Coaches should be able to work on someone's strengths and weaknesses, showing them how to use their strengths better, even improve them, and improve their weaknesses or tricks to hide them. I've never seen any of this under Hughes' guidance of players. Sure, he's signed some good unknown players, but it's not quite the same as being able to work with anybody.

You saw Arsene Wenger's impact on a lot of old English players, he changed their mentality and outlook on the game. And has implemented a strategy and style that is impressive. People poke fun at him for his "tippy tappy" players, but before that, it was all about athletes. He's adapted himself to a different style and still been very successful whichever you look at it, even if there is less silverware in the cabinet.

Anyway...I'm going on and on as I usually do. He owes us one for that Chelsea debacle last season, so here's hoping he gets a cracking result and performance to get us on our way. :)
Login to get fewer ads

The City view on Hughes. on 15:14 - Sep 5 with 706 viewsadhoc_qpr

I'm not sure that's quite fair to says Hughes doesn't improve players though and when do you know where it;s down to the coaching or down to the player?

One example is Taarabt's defensive abilities and workrate was much better for the second half on last season under Hughes when people previously said he could never play on the wing in a 4-4-2.

He also persisted with Diakite whose debut against Fulham and first half display against Sunderland was very raw compared to much more composed displays later on.

The City view on Hughes. on 15:54 - Sep 5 with 653 viewsTacticalR

My biggest fear with Hughes is that he has a big club mentality. He seems to have 'a vision' and tries to make players fit around that vision. If you are a big club with the best players you can have your own vision (Barcelona being the ultimate), and play how you want, and you don't have to adapt to your opponent. But if you are not in that fortunate situation, you need to adapt to our opponent. It was once said of Italy, that despite all their defensive hard men, they were the most feminine of sides, because they always adapted to their opponents. I hope QPR become a big club, but we are not a big club at the moment, and I see little point in acting like one.

Our switches between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 are like the most jarring of gear changes, and suggest that the 'vision' (which seems to revolve around 4-4-2) is conflicting with reality.

I also fear that he lacks the profound tactical flexibility of a good general. On Saturday, when the score was 1-0, why did he not take Ferdinand off when it was obvious that Kolarov's foul had stopped Ferdinand moving about freely, and Ferdinand kept glancing towards the bench?

I am not saying that this is the way things are, only that I fear this is the way things are.

Air hostess clique

The City view on Hughes. on 19:32 - Sep 5 with 569 viewsthehat

The City view on Hughes. on 15:54 - Sep 5 by TacticalR

My biggest fear with Hughes is that he has a big club mentality. He seems to have 'a vision' and tries to make players fit around that vision. If you are a big club with the best players you can have your own vision (Barcelona being the ultimate), and play how you want, and you don't have to adapt to your opponent. But if you are not in that fortunate situation, you need to adapt to our opponent. It was once said of Italy, that despite all their defensive hard men, they were the most feminine of sides, because they always adapted to their opponents. I hope QPR become a big club, but we are not a big club at the moment, and I see little point in acting like one.

Our switches between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 are like the most jarring of gear changes, and suggest that the 'vision' (which seems to revolve around 4-4-2) is conflicting with reality.

I also fear that he lacks the profound tactical flexibility of a good general. On Saturday, when the score was 1-0, why did he not take Ferdinand off when it was obvious that Kolarov's foul had stopped Ferdinand moving about freely, and Ferdinand kept glancing towards the bench?

I am not saying that this is the way things are, only that I fear this is the way things are.

Its easy for City fans to criticise Mark Hughes they haven't been managed by Paul Hart!!!!!

Remember where we have come from six years ago we couldn't afford to fix the photocopier.

The City view on Hughes. on 21:47 - Sep 5 with 506 viewsbatmanhoop

pretty depressing reading, confirms my suspicion the 'love-in' with city fans is over, think it would have been ugly after 'that' match if we had hung on, is he hated so much though because of his United connection
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024