Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? 13:11 - Mar 12 with 2493 viewskrafty80

Some thoughtful comments from Brentford's Uwe Rösler:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21754986
Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 14:49 - Mar 12 with 2447 viewsSwissdale

Not sure I like this comment...

"The lower leagues are there to develop players".

I certainly don't see us as anyone's feeder club, we are here as our own entity! If this is the case surely the problem isn't the number of fixtures, but the lack of funds coming to the lower leagues from the top.

A more logical argument would be that if we had more money, we could have larger squads and be able to rotate our squads more?
Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 14:58 - Mar 12 with 2432 viewsGizzaNosh

Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 14:49 - Mar 12 by Swissdale

Not sure I like this comment...

"The lower leagues are there to develop players".

I certainly don't see us as anyone's feeder club, we are here as our own entity! If this is the case surely the problem isn't the number of fixtures, but the lack of funds coming to the lower leagues from the top.

A more logical argument would be that if we had more money, we could have larger squads and be able to rotate our squads more?

Like it or not, it's pretty much spot on.

The vast majority of players who excel at this level move onto bigger and better things, especially with clubs such as ours who can't afford to turn down what we see as substantial amounts of money, or who can't compete in terms of wage demands.

From the player's point of view, there's very little loyalty in football these days and even they see playing in the lower leagues as 'serving their time' if you will and ultimately clubs of our size and nature are always gonna be seen as stepping stones to a bigger club.

When you look at the players we've 'produced' over the years, we're living proof that the lower leagues is here to develop players and then for those players to seek pastures new.
Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 15:41 - Mar 12 with 2384 viewspioneer

Yes too many competitions - lets be honet who cares about the football league trophy or the many sponsored names it has gone under. Its a waste of time. On the other hand Rosler needs to realise that the FA Cup run Brentford had produced much needed funds for him to sign (and pay) players.

However because players are on annual contracts not pay per game the Directors see any extrta games as additional income with hardly any additional cost.

One of our failures in recent years has been the failure to give the FA Cup the respect it deserves for clubs like us - as a way of avoiding having to sell our best players at knock down prices to pay pressing bills. Even though the atendences aren't always what thery used to be for FA Cup Games - the TV money together with prize money from Sponsors is very lucrative.

Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 16:11 - Mar 12 with 2355 viewsfermin

Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 14:58 - Mar 12 by GizzaNosh

Like it or not, it's pretty much spot on.

The vast majority of players who excel at this level move onto bigger and better things, especially with clubs such as ours who can't afford to turn down what we see as substantial amounts of money, or who can't compete in terms of wage demands.

From the player's point of view, there's very little loyalty in football these days and even they see playing in the lower leagues as 'serving their time' if you will and ultimately clubs of our size and nature are always gonna be seen as stepping stones to a bigger club.

When you look at the players we've 'produced' over the years, we're living proof that the lower leagues is here to develop players and then for those players to seek pastures new.

Lower league clubs are always going to be the stepping stone for better players, but they are also the highest level most of them are ever going to reach. There is a difference between accepting the first (which is a fact of life) and also accepting nursery club status or allowing teams like Man Utd reserves into the lower leagues as they do in Germany/Spain.

Rosler comes from Germany where they only have three professional leagues with about 60 clubs in total. Below that there are about 6 semi-professional regional leagues with about 3 promotion places between them. A bit like us being relegated from League 1 into the Evostik. Personally I do not think that is a prospect we want here, but Rosler would have been brought up on this system.

In reality, how many cup games do lower league clubs get to play in a season, bearing in mind that they tend to put out weakened teams in the early stages of the JPT? Five or six maybe? Hardly excessive. Non-league clubs often play excessive numbers of cup games but lower league clubs don't in my opinion. We certainly don't as we are useless in the cups.

It strikes me that this is another variant of the theory that everyone should bend over backwards to help the top Premier League clubs (and England by extension). Maybe I am in a minority but ever since the Premiership was set up I have felt they can get lost. I do not see why I should worry about how well Premier League clubs do in Europe and how this reflects on the English game - they have chosen to get megabucks from bloated European competitions so they should live with the effects on them. We certainly have to.

We should develop players for our own benefit not for the benefit of the bigger clubs. Our purpose is to be as competitive as we can in our own league with the resources we have, not to develop players for bigger clubs. If we continually develop good players and sell them on to bigger clubs then that is fine and it will be good for us (because we will have a team with many good young players), but it is not our primary purpose as Rosler seems to think.
Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 16:23 - Mar 12 with 2341 viewsGizzaNosh

Too many competitions damage lower league clubs? on 16:11 - Mar 12 by fermin

Lower league clubs are always going to be the stepping stone for better players, but they are also the highest level most of them are ever going to reach. There is a difference between accepting the first (which is a fact of life) and also accepting nursery club status or allowing teams like Man Utd reserves into the lower leagues as they do in Germany/Spain.

Rosler comes from Germany where they only have three professional leagues with about 60 clubs in total. Below that there are about 6 semi-professional regional leagues with about 3 promotion places between them. A bit like us being relegated from League 1 into the Evostik. Personally I do not think that is a prospect we want here, but Rosler would have been brought up on this system.

In reality, how many cup games do lower league clubs get to play in a season, bearing in mind that they tend to put out weakened teams in the early stages of the JPT? Five or six maybe? Hardly excessive. Non-league clubs often play excessive numbers of cup games but lower league clubs don't in my opinion. We certainly don't as we are useless in the cups.

It strikes me that this is another variant of the theory that everyone should bend over backwards to help the top Premier League clubs (and England by extension). Maybe I am in a minority but ever since the Premiership was set up I have felt they can get lost. I do not see why I should worry about how well Premier League clubs do in Europe and how this reflects on the English game - they have chosen to get megabucks from bloated European competitions so they should live with the effects on them. We certainly have to.

We should develop players for our own benefit not for the benefit of the bigger clubs. Our purpose is to be as competitive as we can in our own league with the resources we have, not to develop players for bigger clubs. If we continually develop good players and sell them on to bigger clubs then that is fine and it will be good for us (because we will have a team with many good young players), but it is not our primary purpose as Rosler seems to think.

I for one, have a particular distaste for the EPL and don't give a shyte about about how they do in Europe.

Of course it's not our primary purpose to develop players as such but with the revenue that it's brought us over the years, it's definitely kept us and other lower league clubs out of trouble (Alfie's sale for the tax bill as an example).

Rosler's comments and general demeanour are that or a ruthless and efficient man/manager and these characterists you could argue are typical of someone from that part of the world in both footballing terms and beyond.

We don't exist as a 'nursery' for other clubs but at the same time, the role we play in doing so is as important as any other function of the club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024