Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another new stadium thread 07:27 - May 16 with 4461 viewsHayesender

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4929126/Tony-Fernandes-Air-A

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Another new stadium thread on 15:23 - May 17 with 907 viewsQPR_Jim

Another new stadium thread on 14:53 - May 17 by Ingham

Calling it Air Asia will benefit Air Asia, not QPR.

Fernandes has already said that QPR will be a tenant. The OWNER gets the sponsorship money. Not the tenant. That is what a Tenant is. The one who pays.

The Tenant merely pays for it all. If it costs £150 million, QPR will pay £150 million. The 'Olympic Stadium' is such a winner they had to get a medium-sized, chronically unsuccessful, East End football club to cover the costs of keeping it open.

While the cowboys ride off with £70 million from the sale of Upton Park.

Shows great pride in QPR, doesn't it? A so-called 'business' that names its headquarters after some OTHER business.

Football clubs are not businesses, they are resources. Once these chancers, like the losers on the pitch and in the dug-out, have drained off the Club's money, they'll be off, like all their predecessors before them.

Leaving behind, if this lunacy goes ahead, no assets, just debts.

And the debts are still rising.

Even if the stadium is shrinking. 35,000 now. I suppose we should tell ourselves that it makes more sense than 45,000. If Man Utd aren't proposing to move to a Ground which holds THREE TIMES the Club's average attendance over the last however many decades, it hardly made sense for QPR to do so.

35,000? Well, we usually averaged 35,000 every week at Loftus Road in the old days. When the Ground did barely hold 35,000.

So that's all right. With our record-breaking Premiership team, and one of the most expensive managers in the world - he must be the least successful ever on his kind of money - as Bhatia said 'the sky's the limit'.

Forget the stadium. Thompson put extra seats in, and made the place more cramped than it was. It shouldn't be beyond even Fernandes's range of thought to create a little more legroom.

And when we've achieved mastery of THE GAME, in other words, when we can PLAY brilliantly, year in, year out, and recruit players who can perform, rather than simply paying them AS IF they can perform, our successes will tell us exactly how good we are.

As things stand, Loftus Road is perfect for QPR. It isn't a big Club stadium, but we're not a big Club. It may be dated, but at least it exists, unlike any discernible ability to PLAY the game.

When we have the sort of waiting list that Arsenal had when they moved (after 70 years in which they won the League title in every decade while we've failed to manage one win a month) then we'll know what sort of attendances we can expect.

Letting a bunch of complete losers do as they please with the Club's money - not one of them has put a single penny into the Club, it is all losses, and it is the Club's money which is being lost - is not a sane alternative to starting from the beginning and LEARNING TO PLAY.

I don't say 'play well', even. Few teams can play well more than occasionally. One only has to to look at the history of the Premiership, where one man won more than all the other Clubs in the four divisions put together, to see that virtually nobody knows how to achieve success and to sustain it.

Fernandes said that there are Clubs in League One with bigger grounds than QPR.

Exactly.

And the Clubs with bigger grounds than QPR are invariably playing in stadiums with LOWER capacities than they used to have. City's is half the size, Chelsea's too. Liverpool the same, and United, if their record attendance is any guide. Even poor old Reading are playing in a much-vaunted ground which is smaller than the old Elm Park (before they let it fall apart).

They've all shrunk their capacity so the stadium size more nearly matches the Clubs' actual support. Except for QPR. Fernandes is proposing to expand ours to beyond what we managed in 1975-76, when our final home game with Leeds saw QPR top of the table.

An interesting comparison when we consider that the 31,000 who turned up then was still nowhere near the 35,000 Leeds United attracted two years before, in the final game, at Loftus Road, when THEY were top.

Start with the football basics. Learn to pass the ball. Even better, work out how to get it.

Then we'll find how easy it is to send attendances soaring.

Can I just ask where TF has said we'd be a tenant, must have missed that exact quote.

Although while I'm here there are a few other things. You suggest we follow suit and stick with our reduced capacity, but we shouldn't follow suit and allow our stadium to be named after another company like so many other clubs have. That makes QPR prideless? and teams have reduced their capacity to match their support? or is it more to do with changing to all seater stadiums and safety/access rules.

"One only has to to look at the history of the Premiership, where one man won more than all the other Clubs in the four divisions put together, to see that virtually nobody knows how to achieve success and to sustain it." Problem with success in the lower leagues is that you end up in a higher league the following season which makes it considerably harder. Whilst it's been known to have back to back promotions I can't think of any back to back champions, all that "one man" had to worry about was whether anybody had improved enough to challenge them.
Another new stadium thread on 15:27 - May 17 with 904 viewsGloucs_R

As things stand, Loftus Road is perfect for QPR. It isn't a big Club stadium, but we're not a big Club. It may be dated, but at least it exists, unlike any discernible ability to PLAY the game.

Bllx is it!

I'm 6'2 and the seats gave me a bad back and swollen knees for a week after the game.
You struggle to get 3 tickets together for large games
I can never get a drink at HT because the queues are to long
It takes 10 mins to have a pee at HT
If you want to leave your seat whilst the game is on you have to step on everyones toes to get out.
ER stand is a nightmare and probably a safety risk
Lots of views are restricted
The club sold out for the majority of the last 2.5 seasons
Fulham used to get crowds of 5k now 25k, all additional income

Poll: Are we staying up?

Another new stadium thread on 15:44 - May 17 with 885 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road might be perfect in size but it's not in terms of infrastructure, as I pointed out earlier when I did the tour.

Maybe we could demolish the South Africa Road stand and rebuild it to suit? Do the same with Ellerslie Road? But to get the capacity up would need to raise the height of the stands and that opens up a whole can of worms. Even keeping the capacity the same would still need bigger stands to accomodate 21st century needs and seating.
I guess this is why a new stadium is more appropriate than redeveloping 2 or all 4 sides of the ground especially with all the problems doing this at Loftus Road would entail.

Regarding the potential new ground, if QPR are merely the tentants, will the income brought in through the naming of the stadium help keep the rent down?

'Shows great pride in QPR, doesn't it? A so-called 'business' that names its headquarters after some OTHER business.'

Air Asia is not 'some other business'. QPR and Air Asia are owned by the same parent company, the Tune Group, so we are in fact sister companies. It would be a symbiotic relationship as such.

"Even if the stadium is shrinking. 35,000 now. I suppose we should tell ourselves that it makes more sense than 45,000. If Man Utd aren't proposing to move to a Ground which holds THREE TIMES the Club's average attendance over the last however many decades, it hardly made sense for QPR to do so."

Well yes, but attendance figures aren't linear, they're on a curve. Even Utd's would tail off at a certain point.

The stadium would be used for other events so the capacity needs to cope/reflect that.... maybe have a two tier ground and only open the upper tier if demand requires it to be?

edit: The Emirates, The Etihad, The JJB stadium, The Sports Direct stadium (St James Park) are just a few clubs that have their grounds corporatley named. Huddersfields has changed so many times it looks like they've had more grounds than us! Personally I don't like this way of naming but unless I can find £500m from somewhere, there's not a lot I can do about it.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Another new stadium thread on 15:50 - May 17 with 870 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The secret if your tall is avoid anywhere but the front in Ellerslie.

When Adel scored that goal against Fulham, I jumped up and realised I was actually heading for the row in front and it was only the fact I'm a keeper and good at changing direction that stopped me landing in the next row.

The steel cross beams that support the LL and the School end, avoid sitting under them too if like me you have a tendency to punch the air....

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Another new stadium thread on 16:30 - May 17 with 822 viewsA40Bosh

Another new stadium thread on 15:50 - May 17 by Metallica_Hoop

The secret if your tall is avoid anywhere but the front in Ellerslie.

When Adel scored that goal against Fulham, I jumped up and realised I was actually heading for the row in front and it was only the fact I'm a keeper and good at changing direction that stopped me landing in the next row.

The steel cross beams that support the LL and the School end, avoid sitting under them too if like me you have a tendency to punch the air....

Another secret is to not sit at all when you are 6'3 if you can get either a seat in the very back row or the second back row if you know the blokes behind you are standing.

I literally cannot sit in any seat that I have ever had unless the people either side of me are not there and I can sit sideways on.

That is my sole reason for wanting to move ground. Otherwise I love Loftus Road for what it is.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Another new stadium thread on 16:48 - May 17 with 796 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Another new stadium thread on 16:30 - May 17 by A40Bosh

Another secret is to not sit at all when you are 6'3 if you can get either a seat in the very back row or the second back row if you know the blokes behind you are standing.

I literally cannot sit in any seat that I have ever had unless the people either side of me are not there and I can sit sideways on.

That is my sole reason for wanting to move ground. Otherwise I love Loftus Road for what it is.

Yeah, I got cramp with my big boots placed under my seat at an angle (feet still in them) so I didn't knee the bloke in front all the time.

LL is better (just) I think the last time I stood for most of the game was Sunderland away when Rowlands scored.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Another new stadium thread on 16:49 - May 17 with 788 viewsToast_R

Another new stadium thread on 16:30 - May 17 by A40Bosh

Your right there

We all stand up in the corner regardless. Can't sit down there's not enough room unless your Ronny Corbett or a hobbit

You get a fat oaf next to you and your in for an uncomfortable afternoon regardless.

Emirates Stadium, now that is comfortable.
Another new stadium thread on 12:13 - May 18 with 708 viewsSpiritofGregory

The sooner we have a new stadium the better. I like Loftus Rd but only for the memories. If we want to progress we have to move. We are QPR not Leyton Orient.
Login to get fewer ads

Another new stadium thread on 13:10 - May 18 with 689 viewstiberiuskirk

Another new stadium thread on 11:17 - May 16 by Metallica_Hoop

With hoops

I could live with this, and a standing area .... lovely !!

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

Another new stadium thread on 13:12 - May 18 with 687 viewsTGRRRSSS

Good to see your postings Ingham but you've chosen to miss the point, as Juzzie clearly talks about earlier on in the thread.
Your comments about Readings old Elm Park are of interest but chose to ignore the reality that they would not in todays HandS times allow 30K odd people to stand at Elm Park like they once could - no doubt with many people struggling to see the game and not being able to get to facilities like toilets etc.
Its an interesting post of yours but it's a bit nostalgic and doesn't reflect reality of football today, your focusing too much just on sheer numbers - which whilst important in the context you talk it's irrelevent.
So we once got 35K in the early 70s - well legally we cannot get anywhere near that number in Loftus Road BY LAW anymore, are record might be 35K (is it???) but that was with loads of standing where we cannot do this.
Secondly the demographics both of the country asnd of football fans has changed for myriad reasons.
The fact clubs in League ONe are bigger than Loftus Road means eventually we;ll end up League 2 if we stay as we are.
We cannot, I love LR but now accept we cant stay here and expect anything BETTER than League One sometime or another and that would be very sad even more so than leaving LR for a local but up to date ground..
Another new stadium thread on 13:32 - May 18 with 662 viewstiberiuskirk

Another new stadium thread on 13:12 - May 18 by TGRRRSSS

Good to see your postings Ingham but you've chosen to miss the point, as Juzzie clearly talks about earlier on in the thread.
Your comments about Readings old Elm Park are of interest but chose to ignore the reality that they would not in todays HandS times allow 30K odd people to stand at Elm Park like they once could - no doubt with many people struggling to see the game and not being able to get to facilities like toilets etc.
Its an interesting post of yours but it's a bit nostalgic and doesn't reflect reality of football today, your focusing too much just on sheer numbers - which whilst important in the context you talk it's irrelevent.
So we once got 35K in the early 70s - well legally we cannot get anywhere near that number in Loftus Road BY LAW anymore, are record might be 35K (is it???) but that was with loads of standing where we cannot do this.
Secondly the demographics both of the country asnd of football fans has changed for myriad reasons.
The fact clubs in League ONe are bigger than Loftus Road means eventually we;ll end up League 2 if we stay as we are.
We cannot, I love LR but now accept we cant stay here and expect anything BETTER than League One sometime or another and that would be very sad even more so than leaving LR for a local but up to date ground..

A modern version of loftus rd is what is needed, and the duisburg stadium fits the bill 100 %

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

Another new stadium thread on 13:34 - May 18 with 660 viewsTGRRRSSS

Another new stadium thread on 13:32 - May 18 by tiberiuskirk

A modern version of loftus rd is what is needed, and the duisburg stadium fits the bill 100 %

I aggree I hope we do something different and innovative that captures the essence and spirit as much as possible of Loftus Road and as near to Bush as we can (if not in the Bush).
Another new stadium thread on 13:39 - May 18 with 651 viewstiberiuskirk

Another new stadium thread on 13:34 - May 18 by TGRRRSSS

I aggree I hope we do something different and innovative that captures the essence and spirit as much as possible of Loftus Road and as near to Bush as we can (if not in the Bush).

heathrow, uxbrigde and they can stick ! 1 mile radius of loftus rd max !!

Beeeeeeeeeeeeearrrd !!

Another new stadium thread on 14:32 - May 18 with 621 viewsTheBlob

Another new stadium thread on 16:48 - May 17 by Metallica_Hoop

Yeah, I got cramp with my big boots placed under my seat at an angle (feet still in them) so I didn't knee the bloke in front all the time.

LL is better (just) I think the last time I stood for most of the game was Sunderland away when Rowlands scored.

After two hours bent almost double in the Ellerslie you exit looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.(sorry....The Spinally Challenged Bell Ringer of Notre Dame).Haven't been in there since I smashed a knee up in a car crash.I think it should be renamed The Guantamamo Stand.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Another new stadium thread on 15:00 - May 18 with 589 views18StoneOfHoop

Another new stadium thread on 14:32 - May 18 by TheBlob

After two hours bent almost double in the Ellerslie you exit looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.(sorry....The Spinally Challenged Bell Ringer of Notre Dame).Haven't been in there since I smashed a knee up in a car crash.I think it should be renamed The Guantamamo Stand.

Yep seat size gives me the right hump 'n'all.

Always enjoy reading Ingham's thoughtful,immaculately constructed prolax posts but as Juzz and TGRRRSSS rightfully point out he's way off-beam on this one.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024