Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment 01:16 - Oct 16 with 3271 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Well, that was a pretty crappy evening!

The good news is that my Croatia are in the play-offs for a World Cup place. The bad news is that we could end up facing France or Sweden (or Iceland or Romania).

On a positive note, I have some more game time under my belt. I played about 70 minutes tonight and felt good. On a negative note, we lost 2-0 to the kilt-wearers! Damn it, Joe Jordan isn't going to let me forget this one in a hurry!

The day started OK. It wasn't raining, so we went for a walk. Unfortunately, we got a bit lost & someone had to advise us to turn right and head towards our hotel, rather than turn left ..... and walk on to the M8 motorway. Ooops!

After a nap, we had some pre-match food. Didn't like the look of the deep-fried Mars Bar or the haggis with neeps & tatties, so I stuck with the safe pasta.

Then, it was off to Hampden. Not a full house, by any stretch of the imagination, but a good atmosphere, nevertheless. In the tunnel, before the game, Luka, Charlie, Stipe & I swapped warm handshakes with our old 'Spurs team mate, Alan Hutton. He said that it was good to see me again ..... but it didn't stop him trying to kick me in the air, 10 minutes later!!

It's always good, to line up and sing our national anthem. I like to think I can hold a tune - can't say the same for some of the others, though!

The match started reasonably well for us but, on 28 minutes, we conceded. Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm not the world's greatest defender. Sadly, our defenders decided that neither were they, as poor tracking back & a distinct absence of man-marking led to Snodgrass being allowed to score.

After their goal, things gradually got worse for us. Half time came. A chance to re-group, maybe? But no! Straight from the re-start, one of our 8 players already on a yellow card was harshly booked for a supposed deliberate handball. I had the odd shot & put a couple of people through on goal, but nothing came of my efforts.

Just after I was subbed, we gave away a penalty. It was saved & parried out, but none of our guys reacted. Naismith did ..... and put the ball in the back of the net. Ugh!

One reputable sports website said that I was Croatia's best player, but I think it was more a case of 'best of a bad bunch'. Of course, we win & lose as a team, but some of tonight's individual performances really weren't great. That's football - sometimes, everything works and sometimes, it all goes to hell.

And the situation with the gaffer hasn't helped. In fact, after the game, he told us that he is offering his resignation. Will have to wait & see if our F.A. accept it. And, if they do, I have absolutely no idea what happens next. Wonder if my dad would fancy the job again? Might give him a call tomorrow!

So, my first international trip as a QPR player draws to a close. I'm staying in Glasgow tonight and will fly back down to London tomorrow, to start my preparations for the weekend's game. Am in my room now, but I think I'll find it hard to get to sleep - there's too much stuff whirring around in my head. I could do with something to take my mind off football. Where's that bloody stalker, when you need her?

Oooh, hang on a minute! What's this, behind the sofa?

It'd be rude to say no, wouldn't it?

Night night!!
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 07:13 - Oct 16 with 3217 viewskarl

I'm afraid Kranjcar wasn't very good last night, same as most of his team mates.First 15 mins were like a friendly but after that Scotland played a nice quick passing shame with their new tight well organised defensive system and were deserved winners imo.
Good end to a poor campaign and Strachan deserves huge credit, unfortunately crowd of 30,000 bears testament to the earlier crap and were flat for the majority ofthe game, very weird to hear Hampden so quiet
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 07:25 - Oct 16 with 3208 viewseghamranger

Final one........ yay.
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:09 - Oct 16 with 3101 viewsAlvarado

Looks like you got your wicked way in the end, Only Here for the Niko?

Do you take these pictures yourself? If so, I'm impressed with your commitment (I'm pretty awed by it even if you don't). It'll be good to get back to the day job of Harlington and Loftus Rd now I suppose...
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:49 - Oct 16 with 3058 viewsTacticalR

Sounds like it all ended more with a wimper than a bang. Or did it?

Air hostess clique

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:54 - Oct 16 with 3050 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 07:25 - Oct 16 by eghamranger

Final one........ yay.

Thank you SO much for your positive and encouraging comment (NOT).

It really warms my heart, to know that you have absolutely no appreciation of my attempt to bring something different to the forum.

I'll crawl back under my stone now, shall I?
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:57 - Oct 16 with 3037 viewsTacticalR

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:54 - Oct 16 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

Thank you SO much for your positive and encouraging comment (NOT).

It really warms my heart, to know that you have absolutely no appreciation of my attempt to bring something different to the forum.

I'll crawl back under my stone now, shall I?

Niko, don't go!

Air hostess clique

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 11:03 - Oct 16 with 3024 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:09 - Oct 16 by Alvarado

Looks like you got your wicked way in the end, Only Here for the Niko?

Do you take these pictures yourself? If so, I'm impressed with your commitment (I'm pretty awed by it even if you don't). It'll be good to get back to the day job of Harlington and Loftus Rd now I suppose...

Hahaha!

Alvardo, your comments made me smile!

No, I didn't take ANY of the photos used in 'Postcards'. While the action has been going on in Zagreb & Glasgow, I've been stuck at home in Birmingham! And sadly, I didn't get my wicked way with NK (but it won't stop me trying)!!

Most of the pictures have come from Croatian websites, with one or two from Twitter & my own collection of downloads.

I've never been to either Loftus Road or Harlington and, if the QPR media guys have read the past nine days of 'Postcards', they'll probably get a restraining order to keep me away in the future!
POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 11:09 - Oct 16 with 3017 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 10:49 - Oct 16 by TacticalR

Sounds like it all ended more with a wimper than a bang. Or did it?

Have to admit that I used a bit of artistic licence at the end there, TacticalR.

By the way, thank you for your support throughout!
Login to get fewer ads

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 12:36 - Oct 16 with 2975 viewsqprmick

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 11:09 - Oct 16 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

Have to admit that I used a bit of artistic licence at the end there, TacticalR.

By the way, thank you for your support throughout!

Enjoyed your posts, refreshing change from all the boring dissection of players tactics etc.

Qprmick

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 12:45 - Oct 16 with 2959 viewsJuzzie

POSTCARD FROM NIKO - The Final Installment on 12:36 - Oct 16 by qprmick

Enjoyed your posts, refreshing change from all the boring dissection of players tactics etc.

Yeah, certainly puts a different angle on things. Nothing wrong with that.

I do photography as a hobby and as well as sticking to the rules, I like to break them too.

"Don't shoot into the sun" we're told.

Why not? Here's one I took on Primrose Hill in London which i entitled "The loneliness of the short-distance jogger"

Keep them coming OHFTN.

[Post edited 16 Oct 2013 12:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024