Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on yesterday 12:38 - Oct 9 with 796 viewsA1079

Ok, in terms of the result it was what I expected, in fact, if I am honest, I had predicted 7-0 to City so arguably you could say it was better than I expected but it is a sad indictment of where I think we are as a team and a club that I am even prepared to consider that outcome. Nick will argue that with the millions and the players that City has this game is a free rub - fine, but when are games not a free rub because we have recently played teams that we should have got points from and got nothing and only 1 goal and conceded in all - they are not free rubs and if you can't get points from them then you start looking at the teams that are arguably a league ahead of us - upcoming are Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle - are they are free rubs because if it is that is another 9 points down the drain so we have to look at getting at least 7 points from West Ham, Bournemouth and Palace - am I confident that we wil? Of course not and more to the point I doubt that the players are.

So onto yesterday, putting aside the anticipated result and yes Man City are a league ahead of most there were some things we should and could have done better irrespective of the opposition. Man City I doubt got out of 2nd gear, they never had a save to make and as some Man City supporters were saying afterwards - it was the most boring game of the season despite the result because there was no opposition or competition in effect! They said, where was the Southampton from last year that seemed to have some fight?

Our midfield was truly abysmal. Diallo - personally I wanted him sold in the summer - he offers nothing - the odd good pass now and then does not make him a good player. Aribo - there is a good player there and could be great but so far I have no idea what his role is and he looks out of position. Stuart Armstrong - he was really off his game and he does not look happy at all - he gave the ball away in midfield and was certainly to blame for one goal and arguably partially to blame for another. JWP did seem to work harder but was trying to cover so much ground.

In other areas - we offered no real attack and Edison did not have to get his gloves dirty. Che Adams did his best. There was virtually no service from midfield but even if there was I am not sure it would have produced much.

Perraud - I felt sorry for him. He was pulled between Mahrez and Haaland. Indeed both our wings were exposed and as much as I really like KWP he sometimes need to remember what his core role is and stick to it. I actually think our defence has potential and is better than it was but it is not getting the cover in front of it.

Djenepo did offer something when he came on and he showed more effort and drive that so many of his team-mates were missing - yes, he may lack technique and skill but he showed some drive.

But all that aside, it is not the result, it is not the fact that we were competing against a team that has everything we don't it was some basics that were missing yet again from our team and performance that is frustrating me:-

- lack of grit and fight - yes we would have lost I think whoever we put out but get in their faces at least and put some tackles in - I am not sure we made a single tackle of note;
- lack of strength and so easily brushed off the ball and to lose possession;
- lack of a football brain and anticipation;
- we did not win one aerial battle - not one.

We can put this result to bed and move on but if I am honest, I am at the point where I have no idea where we are going as a team or club. We have made so many errors on and off the field and it is shouting for someone to pull it all back together. Nick will say that McMenemy, Koeman etc had their bad runs - yes they did, but you always felt that they would turn it around and usually any bad game was met with a response and the good outweighed the bad. I don't think Saints fans are deluded. We don't expect to win the league or even challenge for a European place but we do expect our team to show fight, passion and some ability - and some goals. I am really wondering whether I want to continue to spend the hard earned money to watch something week in and week out which is becoming a hard task and leaving you feeling that you may have burnt some quids on a fire.

On Man City and the stadium - my first visit to the Ethihad - for me, has to be the best stadium in the league. Man City fans were ok and don't seem to have the arrogance of some other clubs despite their success. They are a league above everyone else and I do question the point of the PL now for so many clubs beyond the financial draw. Apart from about 8 clubs the rest are chasing shadows and survival and the gap is getting wider - but that is no excuse for our performances when we lose to teams that are arguably as poor or worse than us and we still lose. Though we could have done better yesterday it is the games before it that have left me and many feeling frustrated. The next games are critical for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024